Van Halen Launches Hagar Era Reissue Campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would remix them and have some bass, especially on 5150 and OU812. And if ever an album needed someone to redo the drums and de80s them, it's the horrible drum pads on 5150. Great album, terrible drum sound.

HDTracks 2023 Hagar Remasters

2023 Remasters Stereo at 24bit/96Khz and MQA.

The Van Halen earlier releases, Roth Era, have been the gold standard so far and I expect these new ones to be the same.

MOFI? A bird in hand is what I say, especially based on how good these digital 24bit stereo downloads have been.

Here's a first look at the concert footage from the blu-ray.

And I found this news footage about the concert. Apparently when VH played Dallas in the late 80's, Hagar lost his voice. He promised that the band would return at some future date and put on a free show to make up for it.

Deluxe edition of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge coming out. Of course, no surround sound. There is a blu-ray but it's all video. Promo videos and a 1991 concert from Dallas. C'mon guys....not even the album in hi-res?

https://store.rhino.com/en/rhino-st...anded-edition-2lp2cdblu-ray/603497825080.html
... and even worse, they make you buy both vinyl and optical discs in the package. I might do that for a surround release, but no way for a package without it.

I remember when they did this show here. I can tell from the YouTube vid that the sound is much improved over the original broadcast. It was a cool event to see an act of this level playing out in the middle of the street. Credit the band for making up for the marred previous Dallas show.

I don’t know if this is helpful, but it sounds like this summer stuff will come out:

https://www.rhino.com/article/van-halen-detail-for-unlawful-carnal-knowledge-expanded-edition

Van Halen’s ninth studio album, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, debuted at #1 and stayed there for three weeks during the summer of 1991. It was the third consecutive #1 album from singer Sammy Hagar, guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen, and bassist Michael Anthony.

An Expanded Edition of the album is arriving this summer from Rhino, including a newly remastered version of the original, along with previously unreleased audio and video footage from Van Halen’s December 4, 1991, concert in Dallas, Texas.

FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (EXPANDED EDITION) will be available on July 12 and includes two LPs, two CDs, and a Blu-ray. PRE-ORDER HERE.

Listen to a previously unreleased live version of "Poundcake" HERE.

Rhino.com will have an exclusive bundle featuring the release and a set of four 7” singles, including “Poundcake” / “Pleasure Dome,” “Top Of The World” / “In ‘N’ Out,” “Right Now” (Organ Version) / “Man On A Mission,” and “Right Now” (Guitar Version) / “The Dream Is Over” (Instrumental Version).

Originally released in June 1991, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was an immediate success. It reached triple platinum certification and earned Van Halen its first Grammy® Award for Best Hard Rock Performance and American Music Award® for Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Album. Producer and engineer Bernie Grundman expertly remastered and cut lacquers for this edition, ensuring pristine sound quality.

The Expanded Edition includes previously unreleased alternate versions of “Right Now” and “The Dream Is Over.” The main attraction, however, has to be the previously unreleased concert footage from Van Halen’s December 4, 1991, performance in Dallas. Captured during the “For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Tour,” this electrifying show is a powerful example of Van Halen’s unparalleled stage presence.

The show’s setlist mixes new songs (“Judgement Day” and “Poundcake”) with songs from 5150 and OU812 (“Best Of Both Worlds” and “Finish What Ya Started”). The band also played “Panama,” a hit from its time with singer David Lee Roth, plus two of Hagar’s hits, “I Can’t Drive 55” and “There’s Only One Way To Rock.”

In addition, the Blu-ray includes the official music videos for “Poundcake,” “Runaround,” “Top Of The World,” and the 1992 MTV VMA Video Of The Year winner, “Right Now.” “Finally, the remastered album is included in the set as a double LP, featuring an etching of the Van Halen logo on the fourth side.

FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (EXPANDED EDITION)
2-CD Track Listing

Disc One: Original Album Remastered

1. “Poundcake”

2. “Judgement Day”

3. “Spanked”

4. “Runaround”

5. “Pleasure Dome”

6. “In ’n’ Out”

7. “Man On A Mission”

8. “The Dream Is Over”

9. “Right Now”

10. “316”

11. “Top Of The World”

Disc Two: Rarities & Live

1. “Right Now” – Organ Version (Single Mix)

2. “The Dream Is Over” – Instrumental Version *

3. “Right Now” – Guitar Version (Single Mix) *

Live at the Westend Market, Dallas, TX (12/4/91)

4. “Poundcake” *

5. “Judgement Day” *

6. “There’s Only One Way To Rock” *

7. “Runaround” *

8. “Why Can’t This Be Love” *

9. “Panama” *

10. “A Apolitical Blues” *

11. “Finish What Ya Started” *

12. “I Can’t Drive 55” *

13. “Best Of Both Worlds” *

14. “Top Of The World” *

Blu-ray

Live at the Westend Market, Dallas, TX (12/4/91)

1. Poundcake” *

2. “Judgement Day” *

3. “There’s Only One Way To Rock” *

4. “Runaround” *

5. “Why Can’t This Be Love” *

6. “Panama” *

7. “A Apolitical Blues” *

8. “Finish What Ya Started” *

9. “I Can’t Drive 55” *

10. “Best Of Both Worlds” *

11. “Top Of The World” *

12. “Poundcake” – Promo Video

13. “Runaround” – Promo Video

14. “Right Now” – Promo Video

15. “Top Of The World” – Promo Video

LP: Original Album Remastered
2-LP Track Listing

LP One: Side One

1. “Poundcake”

2. “Judgement Day”

3. “Spanked”

4. “Runaround”

Side Two

1. “Pleasure Dome”

2. “In ’n’ Out”

3. “Man On A Mission”

LP Two: Side One

1. “The Dream Is Over”

2. “Right Now”

3. “316”

4. “Top Of The World”

Side Two

Van Halen Logo Etching

* previously unreleased

The bottom line sounds like, if you want the blu-ray, you have to buy the deluxe version which includes vinyl, which at least half the people inerested have no desire to spend an extra $30 for vinyl they don’t want.
Business as usual.

Its Van Hagar...hard NO from me.
Guy is the worst blowhard who has done ZERO of anything of musical interest
His whole career is a joke.
If the execrable "I cant drive.." is the calling card of your career,,oof!
VH died after 1984 well sorta DLR carried on till Skyscraper with a killer VH on steroids band

HDTracks 2023 Hagar Remasters

2023 Remasters Stereo at 24bit/96Khz and MQA.

The Van Halen earlier releases, Roth Era, have been the gold standard so far and I expect these new ones to be the same.

MOFI? A bird in hand is what I say, especially based on how good these digital 24bit stereo downloads have been.
Wow great site! Thank you?? ...says my wallet :SB

Its Van Hagar...hard NO from me.
Guy is the worst blowhard who has done ZERO of anything of musical interest
His whole career is a joke.
If the execrable "I cant drive.." is the calling card of your career,,oof!
VH died after 1984 well sorta DLR carried on till Skyscraper with a killer VH on steroids band
I much preferred Roth with Van Halen than Hagar. But, I can't imagine Hagar's career being thought of as a joke. His mark on rock music is pretty decent.

Montrose, IMO were a very good band and Hagar for sure wrote some of their music and minimally co-wrote.
Hagar solo, at least in the US had serious airplay and I feel like the content of all his albums was strong, with the usual, stupid topics in some cases (drive 55 for sure)
His contribution with Van Halen, post Roth was significant.
Chickenfoot was a great band, which he was fairly heavy handed in.

I know he's had other projects, though none as significant as the above. As far as I know. To show where my heart is with VH, I don't intend to buy any Van Hagar era reissues. But gladly buy all the Roth era stuff. I too enjoyed Roth solo stuff, Skyscraper is incredible and would be a stunner in multi-channel.

Back