Vintage Ads for Quad Equipment

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4544526478_f1c6bcbba5.jpg

Blank cartridges.

Attachments

• columbia_blanks.jpg
    columbia_blanks.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 275
View attachment 18109

Seeing that Marantz brings back a lot of memories for me...one of my friends had one(not a quad unit) and when you were stoned(which was most of the time when listening to music "back in the day")those blue lights on the receiver looked so:cool:...I had a Harmon Kardon at the time and it was very vanilla looking...good equipment but nerdy styling..

Quality gear was hard to come by then where I live. You had to travel a min. of 50 miles to even be exposed to anything decent. And there were stinky electronic company's that made cheap crappy quad stuff. Fortunately my 1st quad experience was Marantz and Leon Russell, To this day, I remember that pretty well, how cool it sounded.

I also had Harmon equipment way back...and yeah...I recall it being very neutral looking. Cool...but neutral.

View attachment 18109

Seeing that Marantz brings back a lot of memories for me...one of my friends had one(not a quad unit) and when you were stoned(which was most of the time when listening to music "back in the day")those blue lights on the receiver looked so:cool:...I had a Harmon Kardon at the time and it was very vanilla looking...good equipment but nerdy styling..

That Pioneer set up? shown below, with speakers-and all, I bet would set you back the price of a brand new Cadillac at the time.

You ain't wrong! Pioneer was our most popular line. We sold many Pioneer speakers, although we never stocked either of those models. The best speaker we stocked from Pioneer was CS-63DX:
Power handling: 80w
4-way 6-speaker system
15" woofer
(2) 5" midranges
Horn tweeter
2-supertweeter

So, here's the total retail cost in '73:
QX-949A receiver $1000
(4) CS-63DX 4-way speakers $1000 ($250 x 4)
PL-55DX Turntable $250
SE-404Q Headphones $100
Audio Technica AT-14Sa CD-4 phono cartridge $80

Adding a 2ch cassette deck, Q8 deck and Q4 deck might add as much as $1700

$2730 is about what I paid for my first new car - a 72 Chevy Nova w/307 V8, power steering, power brakes and a/c. So, yes, with the addition of tape gear, you have about what a Cadillac costs. Although this was a very nice system for its' day, there was much better gear than this system, and the price was commensurate with the quality: $$$$$$$$$

Unknown.jpeg

When I think back to those days, I didn't realize how lucky I was. In '76, I had an apartment with NO roommate. My Quad system was a Marantz with RC-4 remote, full-logic SQ, CD-4, Q8 recorder, Q4, 2 cassettes and turntable. I also had a new '76 Buick Regal w/ BOTH Pioneer Q8 and auto-reverse cassette. Try doing that today when working a retail gig.

You ain't wrong! Pioneer was our most popular line. We sold many Pioneer speakers, although we never stocked either of those models. The best speaker we stocked from Pioneer was CS-63DX:
Power handling: 80w
4-way 6-speaker system
15" woofer
(2) 5" midranges
Horn tweeter
2-supertweeter

So, here's the total retail cost in '73:
QX-949A receiver $1000
(4) CS-63DX 4-way speakers $1000 ($250 x 4)
PL-55DX Turntable $250
SE-404Q Headphones $100
Audio Technica AT-14Sa CD-4 phono cartridge $80

Adding a 2ch cassette deck, Q8 deck and Q4 deck might add as much as $1700

$2730 is about what I paid for my first new car - a 72 Chevy Nova w/307 V8, power steering, power brakes and a/c. So, yes, with the addition of tape gear, you have about what a Cadillac costs. Although this was a very nice system for its' day, there was much better gear than this system, and the price was commensurate with the quality: $$$$$$$$$

View attachment 18138

My first listening to Dark side of the Moon was on Pioneer Speakers like that... (y) Not in quad tho...

I did sell a system with 4 CS-63DX. Our Quad demo console featured a Pioneer PL-50 turntable w/AT CD-4, JVC CD-4 demodulator, Pioneer quad scope, and 4 Altec Voice of the theater corner horns. We had all models of Marantz, Pioneer and JVC Quad receivers demonstrable through our board, in addition to all their 2ch receivers, plus Sony (we sold Sony 2ch receivers only.) There was also a Sony Quad reel and a Marantz tuner with built-in-scope on the island with the switching unit. ROCK OUT!!

My first listening to Dark side of the Moon was on Pioneer Speakers like that... (y) Not in quad tho...

Your stories are killing me....I was born just a few years too late!! I would have been a QUAD junkie....had I been born 3 or 4 years sooner!!! I'm jealous...

I did sell a system with 4 CS-63DX. Our Quad demo console featured a Pioneer PL-50 turntable w/AT CD-4, JVC CD-4 demodulator, Pioneer quad scope, and 4 Altec Voice of the theater corner horns. We had all models of Marantz, Pioneer and JVC Quad receivers demonstrable through our board, in addition to all their 2ch receivers, plus Sony (we sold Sony 2ch receivers only.) There was also a Sony Quad reel and a Marantz tuner with built-in-scope on the island with the switching unit. ROCK OUT!!

Back