Watermarking added to AACS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
More and more it becomes evident that the specs of the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are still not complete yet. The latest addition is the use of Verance Audio Watermarking, similar to that we know from the DVD-Audio.
Source (click)

As the devices now are still made according to the "AACS Interim specifications" they will ignore the watermark, but when the upcoming final version will be released, newer devices have to reject playing the (hi-rez?) audio of recordable disks with watermarked content (copies).

This phased addition of "features" is a different tactic as with DVD-A, where the waiting for the final specs took so long that the momentum had almost gone (partly due to the introduction of Multi Channel SACD in the mean time).

I wonder if the first gen players will be "collectable" because they won't see the watermark?

The specs are far from complete.
We still do not have any PAL support at all.
We're still waiting for the DTS-HD MAS support to happen (next Gen)
We're still waiting for HDMI 1.3
Network connectivity is still missing (and will become optional in BD from October, along with sub-picture (P-I-P) which is going to cause definite problems once Hollywood start enforcing an online legality check on discs.
Plus lots more problems - both formats are broken.

We're still waiting for the DTS-HD MAS support to happen
Do you know why the HD disc format committees/consortiums/whatever approved TWO lossless formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD)? That seems redundant to me.

Back