What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1683516624508.png

remarkable fidelity...Gilmour signature Strat...OMG!
...oh yea, Bowie happened to be in the neighborhood ;)

Last edited:
Watching this show by Djabe and Steve Hackett, which arrived today.

Live In Gyór

Check this out! LIVE IN GYOR 2CD + BLU RAY EDITION: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

I'm really digging this.
Just everything about it is superb.
So much talent.

Steve is really right at home with the music of Djabe.
Not surprising when he is surrounded by these wonderful musicians.
Just outrageously good. I got my disc yesterday and just now giving a good listen.
Wow.
Djabe never disappoints. Hackett just seems to fit so good with them.

A truly talented group. I mean for sure, no BS. IMO masters at crossing between Jazz/Jazz Fusion & Prog. If you are a Jazz lover, a Prog lover, or anything in between, you have to give these guys a listen.

Do they continually get better is it my fertile imagination? IDK but every release sounds better than the one before to these old ears. Every member of Djabe is a superb craftsman.

I once stated I had a few personal favorites amongst the members....well that was not based on ability, of which they all have in abundance. Just to be clear.

Long live Djabe!

Éljen Djabe!

Apologies if this has already been posted (this isn't a thread I check on regularly): I just cracked open my May issue of Uncut magazine, which I bought primarily for the features on Peter Gabriel and Rickie Lee Jones (also Feist and Baaba Maal), and found an ad on the inside cover for a new 4K restoration of Dance Craze--the 1980 multi-date/multi-venue concert film featuring the best of 2Tone (Beat, Specials, Selecter, Madness, Bad Manners). Dual-format box set--Blu-Ray (w/Atmos sound) and DVD. The Atmos is undoubtedly synthesized/hall-ambience, but the music is bound to be great.
https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dance-craze-dual-format-edition.html
BFI are also taking pre-orders for a long-overdue restoration of Isaac Julien's Young Soul Rebels (not a concert film, though it has a great soundtrack):
https://shop.bfi.org.uk/pre-order-young-soul-rebels.html

Apologies if this has already been posted (this isn't a thread I check on regularly): I just cracked open my May issue of Uncut magazine, which I bought primarily for the features on Peter Gabriel and Rickie Lee Jones (also Feist and Baaba Maal), and found an ad on the inside cover for a new 4K restoration of Dance Craze--the 1980 multi-date/multi-venue concert film featuring the best of 2Tone (Beat, Specials, Selecter, Madness, Bad Manners). Dual-format box set--Blu-Ray (w/Atmos sound) and DVD. The Atmos is undoubtedly synthesized/hall-ambience, but the music is bound to be great.
https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dance-craze-dual-format-edition.html
BFI are also taking pre-orders for a long-overdue restoration of Isaac Julien's Young Soul Rebels (not a concert film, though it has a great soundtrack):
https://shop.bfi.org.uk/pre-order-young-soul-rebels.html
I bought Dance Craze on release.
They've done a great job in updating it to Blu-ray.
Always liked the 2Tone era and this has it in abundance, nice and raw.
If you like the music then I highly recommend it.

When people talk about Elton John's Dream Ticket, it's Disc 1, One Night Only, that seems to get all the love--and I get that: it has the hits and the guest stars and the Big Apple fans and a great "on-stage" 5.1 mix by Phil Ramone and Frank Filipetti. But I think Disc 2, The Royal Opera House is just as good: it's a more sedate affair on the whole, but it also sees Sir Elton revisiting some old classics with a lot of dignity and feeling and without all the razzmatazz, and it's got those amazing Paul Buckmaster orchestrations augmented for a full orchestra and chorus. (The opening of "Sixty Years On" gives me chills--it could be something out of a Jonny Greenwood film score.) Really powerful set--ending with a rockin' orchestral arrangement of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," of all things!--and another immersive Ramone/Filipetti mix. If only we could get a high-res upgrade to take the edge off of that crackly old Dolby Digital. In the meantime, why would anyone not plonk down seven bucks for this four-DVD set?
https://www.discogs.com/release/2471208-Elton-John-Dream-Ticket-Four-Destinations

Last edited:
When people talk about Elton John's Dream Ticket, it's Disc 1, One Night Only, that seems to get all the love--and I get that: it has the hits and the guest stars and the Big Apple fans and a great "on-stage" 5.1 mix by Phil Ramone and Frank Filipetti. But I think Disc 2, The Royal Opera House is just as good: it's a more sedate affair on the whole, but it also sees Sir Elton revisiting some old classics with a lot of dignity and feeling and without all the razzmatazz, and it's got those amazing Paul Buckmaster orchestrations augmented for a full orchestra and chorus. (The opening of "Sixty Years On" gives me chills--it could be something out of a Jonny Greenwood film score.) Really powerful set--ending with a rockin' orchestral arrangement of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," of all things!--and another immersive Ramone/Filipetti mix. If only we could get a high-res upgrade to take the edge off of that crackly old Dolby Digital. In the meantime, why would anyone not plonk down seven bucks for this four-DVD set?
https://www.discogs.com/release/2471208-Elton-John-Dream-Ticket-Four-Destinations
Since I'm working my way through the box, I'll plug Disc 3 (Ephesus: The Great Amphitheatre), too. It's a solo set that feels intimate, even though the ancient venue holds 25,000(!). I liked EJ best before the glam of his stage act made its way onto his albums, and that early period of his career is well represented here. He's in great voice, and these pared-down arrangements naturally foreground that and his bluesy, barrelhouse piano playing. The minimalist approach even makes me appreciate tunes from the 80s and 90s that I never had much time for. The mix puts you right on the edge of the stage.

Ben Folds Five: Sessions at West 54th has been a favorite since I caught it one night on PBS, in high school. I missed the first song before I found a VHS tape with enough space I could record over.

There's a mild 5.1 mix by on the DVD, but might just be an upmix, I dunno.

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-28_20-31-30.jpg
    photo_2023-05-28_20-31-30.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Or maybe listening to BB leaves you crying in your beer.
I chose 'beerking' as I used to brew my own beer 🍺 and yes it's the same as B B's name, so combined the 2. Might have to change it to 'notbeerking!!' Well the brewing stopped, not the consumption 🤪 . Although my tipple today is Buffalo Trace and Coke.

50 years ago I bought the album 'Best of BB King'...The rest is history.

I chose 'beerking' as I used to brew my own beer 🍺 and yes it's the same as B B's name, so combined the 2. Might have to change it to 'notbeerking!!' Well the brewing stopped, not the consumption 🤪 . Although my tipple today is Buffalo Trace and Coke.

I also used to brew my own beer, but not anymore. So far tonight Jack and Coke, beer will follow. :cool:

Cool. You must also have a copy of “Live At The Regal.”

Back