What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one is a dangerous one.. and it's MY FAULT cause all of a sudden I felt like looking it up yesterday because it was featured in the Guardians of the Galaxy III movie we saw 2 days ago... but I prefer Roland's version, his voice is immense... he has played it since the mid 90s so , if HE plays it , it must be a GOOD song... and now I have it going round and round and round...oh well

Let's Hang On - Manhattan Transfer
official (audio only) original MT version on Tonin' feat. Frankie Valli:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6638819-The-Manhattan-Transfer-Tonin
Valli, Laura Nyro, Bette Midler, Felix Cavalieri, Phil Collins, Smokey Robinson, BB King, Ruth Brown, James Taylor, Chaka Khan & Ben E. King guest. Most arrangements work, some not as well. Well worth owning!

MT live version (w/o Valli):

Mine is Desire Marea’s track “Ntokozo” processed through DPLIIx. Absolutely fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 0
This one as been going on for several days now. It doesn't help that I play the new 5.1 of it every day.

Today is actually the first day since getting the box set that I didn't play the 5.1 of Gypsy. However, true addicts will search for substitutes...I played the Albert Hall concert instead and this was the lead off song. So it continues...

"ELO songs were always coming on the radio when I was growing up. They were a reliable source of pleasure and fascination (except for “Fire On High” which scared the heck out of me). With this album of covers I wanted to get my hands deep into some of the massive ‘70’s hits but I am also shining a light on some of the later work (“Ordinary Dream” from 2001’s “Zoom” album, “Secret Messages” and “’From The End Of The World”, both from the ‘80’s).

Thematically, I identify with the loneliness and alienation and the outerspace-iness in the songs I chose. (I have always felt like I am part alien, not fully belonging to or in this Earth world.) Sonically, ELO recordings are like an amusement park packed with fun musical games with layers and layers of varied, meticulous parts for your ears to explore; production curiosities; huge, gorgeous stacks of awe-inspiring vocal harmony puzzles. My task was to try and break all the things down and reconstruct them subtly until they felt like mine.

Overall, I stuck pretty close to the originals’ structures while figuring out new ways to express or reference the unique and beloved ELO string arrangements. An orchestra would have been difficult or impossible for me to manage to record, nor did I think there was any point in trying to copy those parts as they originally were. Why not try to reimagine them within my zone of limitations? In some cases, I transposed string parts onto guitars, or keyboards, and I even sung some of them (as in “Showdown” and “Bluebird Is Dead”).

Recording the album was a kind of complicated and drawn-out process since I was doing all of my tracks at home in my bedroom (drums and bass were done by Chris Anzalone and Ed Valauskas, respectively [in their own recording spaces]), and I kept running into technology problems that would frustrate me and slow me up. But eventually I got it all done. A labor of love.
" -Juliana

https://www.alr-music.com/products/jhselo

Back