When Elton was the king of Watford

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...I look forward to hearing Fredblue's memories as probably the most knowledgeable on Sir Elton's music amongst our QQ friends. However, writing as a season ticket holder at Watford Football Club (sorry but I have to use 'football' rather than the 's' word!) for the last 24 years I may be able to share the frustration, anxiety and, sometimes, sheer joy of supporting the team at Vicarage Road football ground (known locally as The Vic). In fact, my first match was Watford vs Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final in 1970 although there was a long period after that before I started going to all home matches (and a few away from home).

I have seen EJ in concert twice at The Vic - both utterly brilliant concerts - and it would have been three times but my wife and I managed to catch Covid two days before the gig last year so that was that. EJ has absolutely been the No. 1 supporter of the club as much since he sold his stake as when he owned it. The two concerts I was able to attend were fund raising to keep the club financially solvent. He paid transfer fees (with no publicity) for the club to sign a few new players - I believe this included Troy Deeney who became the best loved player of recent years and earned the temporary title of "Mr Watford" although really that belongs to EJ forever. Without EJ the club could have had massive financial problems in recent years and for that I and my fellow supporters are truly grateful. There are very few real legends in this world but he definitely is at The Vic. There is a Sir Elton John stand in his honour as well as a stand named after our greatest manager, and perhaps the closest EJ had to a brother, Graham Taylor OBE.

I very rarely read books but this is one book that I am really looking forward to delving into. And let's not forget that Watford is also the home of Dutton Vocalion so it's not just football...oh and Sir Elt of course... that has made Watford famous....not to mention all of the Harry Potter films.....
:LB

Back