Quantcast

HiRez Poll Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

• Total voters

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Wow. So weird. I don't get this. Why would the tightness of the hole (insert Dice Clay joke here) make any difference. Shouldn't it be tight so it doesn't slip when spinning?
I did the best I could with your question regarding this Who disc, I don't know any other answers.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Wow. So weird. I don't get this. Why would the tightness of the hole (insert Dice Clay joke here) make any difference? Shouldn't it be tight so it doesn't slip when spinning?
Hole tightness shouldn't cause a skipping/flutter problem. But if the hole is too small, it may not get mounted by the playback spindle. It would look to the machine as if there is no disc in the player, which was apparently marpow's problem.

fthesoundguy

What the heck happened with this release? This is supposed to be an iconic album and it just does not sound that way. This album is made for surround and I feel that its been treated very unfairly and not with the respect it deserves.

The one good thing is that there is a decent amount of surround action and great placement, which helps immensely. There were also a couple of pans that caught my attention. The “me’s” at the end of The Real Me was pretty cool. The vocal panning during Helpless Dancer was really well done and the thunderstorm at the beginning of Doctor Jimmy was decent. There were also a couple of pans that were too fast and obviously automated (that guitar slide at the end of Love Reign O’er Me is REALLY bad).

This album is not balanced well at all. Lots of times, the synths in the rear right sound way louder than the ones coming out of the left. Just when I think my settings are off somewhere, then something comes at the correct volume on the left, but only for a moment! For a lot of this record, it seemed like my head was leaning to the right a bit. I went back after listening and made sure my system was calibrated properly it bothered me that much. On I’ve Had Enough, the surround Left is a bit louder than the right and then it switches mid song and its the opposite. Vocals are off in some songs (really noticeable during The Dirty Jobs) and instruments are buried in others (Bell Boy, there s a two hit keyboard part that is just a bit too low once the full band comes back into play). The horns during Drowned are way too high in the surround right. Really manic mix and unfortunate. If I have to rip the disc and go into a DAW to fix these issues, some points should be taken off for that.

I’m a little disappointed because this does not sound that clear or good too. Nothing pops out and everything just sounds messy. That upper midrange just sounds weird on some songs. You can definitely hear it on almost every cymbal hit as well as the attack on the toms. It sounds like it was mixed with the early 70s limitations and not in 2014. I’m guessing the tapes were maybe in rough shape, but the tools are still available to help it out. SW mixes are at the top of the class because he still has that feel of whatever year that album was created in, but still can make everything sound so clear and improved at the same time. Unfortunately, this disc is just kinda blah to me.

The fact that I have to crank my LFE up to get anywhere near the proper bass frequencies is really frustrating. There’s apparently some center issues as well that I cannot address because I listen off the discs. Again, If you have to manipulate the channels to get it to sound proper, more points off.

I have a weird theory. The songs that sound really off to me are the ones that were on the incomplete edition. Could it be that they didn’t remix/remaster those when they got everything together? Most of the songs on the that release sound off to me compared to the other tracks. The two albums were mastered by different people (according to Discogs) which would explain the upper midrange weirdness on mostly those songs…

This is a 6. I do not get the excitement of playing this album when I pop it into the player unlike some other albums. Listening to this 4 times for this review was more like a chore. I’m sure i’ll listen to it a few more times down the road, but i’ll end up being disappointed when it starts playing, which sucks because it’s one of the Who’s landmark albums and my personal favorite of theirs.

In 2020, I don’t think I can recommend this album because of how expensive it is ($75+ from everywhere I saw it for the standalone). I had to find a very rough Live in London 5 disc edition that was all cracked and broken (luckily the discs were all ok) for $42 shipped. Even at that price, with an additional live album, i’m a little disappointed I spent that much on this.

Highlights: Helpless Dancer

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
What the heck happened with this release? This is supposed to be an iconic album and it just does not sound that way. This album is made for surround and I feel that its been treated very unfairly and not with the respect it deserves.

The one good thing is that there is a decent amount of surround action and great placement, which helps immensely. There were also a couple of pans that caught my attention. The “me’s” at the end of The Real Me was pretty cool. The vocal panning during Helpless Dancer was really well done and the thunderstorm at the beginning of Doctor Jimmy was decent. There were also a couple of pans that were too fast and obviously automated (that guitar slide at the end of Love Reign O’er Me is REALLY bad).

This album is not balanced well at all. Lots of times, the synths in the rear right sound way louder than the ones coming out of the left. Just when I think my settings are off somewhere, then something comes at the correct volume on the left, but only for a moment! For a lot of this record, it seemed like my head was leaning to the right a bit. I went back after listening and made sure my system was calibrated properly it bothered me that much. On I’ve Had Enough, the surround Left is a bit louder than the right and then it switches mid song and its the opposite. Vocals are off in some songs (really noticeable during The Dirty Jobs) and instruments are buried in others (Bell Boy, there s a two hit keyboard part that is just a bit too low once the full band comes back into play). The horns during Drowned are way too high in the surround right. Really manic mix and unfortunate. If I have to rip the disc and go into a DAW to fix these issues, some points should be taken off for that.

I’m a little disappointed because this does not sound that clear or good too. Nothing pops out and everything just sounds messy. That upper midrange just sounds weird on some songs. You can definitely hear it on almost every cymbal hit as well as the attack on the toms. It sounds like it was mixed with the early 70s limitations and not in 2014. I’m guessing the tapes were maybe in rough shape, but the tools are still available to help it out. SW mixes are at the top of the class because he still has that feel of whatever year that album was created in, but still can make everything sound so clear and improved at the same time. Unfortunately, this disc is just kinda blah to me.

The fact that I have to crank my LFE up to get anywhere near the proper bass frequencies is really frustrating. There’s apparently some center issues as well that I cannot address because I listen off the discs. Again, If you have to manipulate the channels to get it to sound proper, more points off.

I have a weird theory. The songs that sound really off to me are the ones that were on the incomplete edition. Could it be that they didn’t remix/remaster those when they got everything together? Most of the songs on the that release sound off to me compared to the other tracks. The two albums were mastered by different people (according to Discogs) which would explain the upper midrange weirdness on mostly those songs…

This is a 6. I do not get the excitement of playing this album when I pop it into the player unlike some other albums. Listening to this 4 times for this review was more like a chore. I’m sure i’ll listen to it a few more times down the road, but i’ll end up being disappointed when it starts playing, which sucks because it’s one of the Who’s landmark albums and my personal favorite of theirs.

In 2020, I don’t think I can recommend this album because of how expensive it is ($75+ from everywhere I saw it for the standalone). I had to find a very rough Live in London 5 disc edition that was all cracked and broken (luckily the discs were all ok) for $42 shipped. Even at that price, with an additional live album, i’m a little disappointed I spent that much on this.

Highlights: Helpless Dancer
soundguy, you pretty much identified all the issues I too have with this release. It’s a shame but I think this is the best we’re going to get. I gave it a generous 8, but it‘s only that high because of the well earned reputation of the material. Thanks for your review.

califcab

They ran out of time and rushed the incomplete mix into the bog box just to get it all to market is the story I gathered. Tapes were never claimed to be lost, but the implication was it would or might not ever be completed. Lake in commercial potential and lack of interest from Pete.

So glad that they reconsidered.
Yes I saw a quote from Pete in an interview to the effect that on the original box set they ran out of time on the 5.1 mix and rushed it out for Christmas. That was very disappointing but I was very happy when the full version finally came out. I scored it a 9 as the mix was great but not quite epic. Did The Who stop doing box sets because Pete sold the rights, or because demand wasn't good enough? The never did Who's Next/Lifehouse.

ubertrout

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Yes I saw a quote from Pete in an interview to the effect that on the original box set they ran out of time on the 5.1 mix and rushed it out for Christmas. That was very disappointing but I was very happy when the full version finally came out. I scored it a 9 as the mix was great but not quite epic. Did The Who stop doing box sets because Pete sold the rights, or because demand wasn't good enough? The never did Who's Next/Lifehouse.
I mean, it's the 50th anniversary of Who's Next in 2021. But we'll see? They may have soured on physical releases following poor sales of their 2019 new album, but they also know how to do a box set.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I listened to this again in 5.1 and have come to the conclusion that it needs not sound exactly balanced like the original stereo mix to be brilliant. I love how certain guitar parts both lead and rhythm jump out at the listener like they never did before. It sounds good to me because those guitar parts are good.

In fact if I wanted it to sound like the stereo mix I can simply put on my MFSL gold disc set and use four speakers and be done with it. I'd rather hear this mix in 5.1 and sit back and enjoy. I don't feel like anything is off and missing at all. It's just a different mix and it's in surround.

It is great to hear an old album sounding so completely fresh. So glad the multitrracks did not vanish in an MCA theft or a Uni inferno. I would imagine Pete kept them in his own tape vault for safer keeping. An amazing big double album, thrilling in 5.1!

tarkusnj

300 Club - QQ All-Star
It sounds like Entwistle's bass was mixed into the front speakers and center channel and treated like a regular lead guitar. I always thought DVD-Audio wasn't or isn't really 5.1 but 6 channels with no bass management/rerouting which is why when first marketed, it was recommended you have your main 5 speakers matched all the same size. So John's bass wasn't relegated to the 6th channel/ subwoofer.
John was one of the best...my first Who show was the Filmore east Tommy debut. Saw them many times. I'd take them over the Stones any day...

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
It sounds like Entwistle's bass was mixed into the front speakers and center channel and treated like a regular lead guitar. I always thought DVD-Audio wasn't or isn't really 5.1 but 6 channels with no bass management/rerouting which is why when first marketed, it was recommended you have your main 5 speakers matched all the same size. So John's bass wasn't relegated to the 6th channel/ subwoofer.
John was one of the best...my first Who show was the Filmore east Tommy debut. Saw them many times. I'd take them over the Stones any day...
I don't know why you had to take a shot at The Stones. But I should say I can't stand to See Me Feel me, and hope I never have to sit through it again. I love the Who, and the Stones indeed have more classic hits and classic hit albums. All of them legends on a concert stage.

Oh I almost forget. So the sub is dead on this 5.1 mix with nothing going on at all?

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I don't know why you had to take a shot at The Stones. But I should say I can't stand to See Me Feel me, and hope I never have to sit through it again. I love the Who, and the Stones indeed have more classic hits and classic hit albums. All of them legends on a concert stage.

Oh I almost forget. So the sub is dead on this 5.1 mix with nothing going on at all?
Strangely, as a youngster, I was not a Stones fan. I mean, I never gave them a chance. Now that I'm older and wiser (haha) I listen to Stones quite a bit and easily can see why they are...who they are. Oh, and I dig the Who too, but mostly always have.

fthesoundguy

Worse, there are things going on (bass and kick drum if I remember correctly). You just have to bump up your sub a lot to hear how it should be. And then it just sounded weird at that point, but I am no fan of this mix, so YMMV.

tarkusnj

300 Club - QQ All-Star

I believe the point 1 is the bass that is sent to your subwoofer courtesy of your AV receiver. If you remember when DVD-Audio first arrived, there were only 6 analogue outputs from the player to your AV receiver...one each for the 6 DVD-Audio channels. Then again, maybe I am wrong.

MidiMagic

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a CD of Quadrophenia. It is titled "Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia."

Featuring Pete Townsend, Alfie Doe, Billy Idol, Phil Daniels, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Deutsche Grammophon 479-4528

Is this the same recording? If not, what do I have.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have a CD of Quadrophenia. It is titled "Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia."
Featuring Pete Townsend, Alfie Doe, Billy Idol, Phil Daniels, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Deutsche Grammophon 479-4528

Is this the same recording? If not, what do I have.
It appears you have this.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted By Robert Ziegler - Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia

The release being discussed here is a multichannel release of the full original album by The Who

The Who - Quadrophenia