Will a Beatles SACD ever come out?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm that particular individual.

And while I'm pro DVD-A I'm NOT "extremely biased" against SACD. I believe it is great for jazz and Big Band, and classic vocal stuff. There IS a place for a Hi Res two channel format. I just would rather hear rock and roll in surround, which basically means DVD-A.

Hey Mikey! Nice to have you here. Glad you posted. Hope you find this place interesting.

:-jon

Mikey,
I've read some of your posts and your biases are clear. Even your post here is biased--SACD can't handle multi-channel rock? Tell me another one.
4ears

P.S.
DVD-A cannot have the highest resolution in all channels of a multi-channel recording. SACD always has the highest resolution in all its channels.
Therefore, if there is any format that should stick to two channels, it's DVD-A.

Regarding your statement about sacd/mc having high rez at all times....
That part may be true for now, but you must also take in to thought that if SACD/MC does include video,which it is capable of doing, it to would also have to go down in resolution to get it to fit on the disc. As for your other statement, that as a format dvd-a should stick to stereo. .... that's pretty narrow minded for several reasons, because
as a do all and cover all format, DVD-a is a clear winner as it offers more bang for the buck and when they start the cd layer playback ability, and add more titles, it will be more so than it is now ! We'll just have to wait and see!:cool:
0] Rob

Erm, SACD has an optional 5.1 surround mix. Several of the disks in my currently meager SACD collection include this multichannel section. And given what I understand about the underlying technology it should sound at least as good as DVD-A.

Note I have nothing against DVD-A. I'll likely by a player at some point. I just don't understand the assertion that you need to go that route to get 5.1 surround. That is clearly not the case if we're talking only from a format capability point of view.

Its not that SACD CANT do multichannel.

Its more that the way the two formats have evolved, SACD is becoming known for Hi Res Two Channel, while DVD-A is becoming known for multichannel. Also, FAR more people have DVD-A 5.1 speaker systems set up than SACD 5.1 setups.

Oh for crying out loud, if you want to argue SACD vs. DVD-A, please trot over to Audio Asylum and join the boo-hoo-hooers there. I really don't think we need to open that can of worms here, do you?

I can't see how anything prior to the White Album would work out in 5.1, seeing as it was all 4 track. But I guess if you take a track like Tomorrow Never Knows, you can have the main instruments and vocals coming from the front and the sound effects whipping around...but I would rather see good, hi def stereo ( or mono for the first 4 albums...I don't think they sound that bad...a tad tinny, but pretty clean) I think the worst sounding of all the later cd's was Abbey Road....very hissy and muddy in some spots....that one will be a welcome remaster!:)

The Beatles started using four-track from "I Want To Hold Your Hand" to partway into the White Album, but every work tape was saved as they bounced each set of four tracks into a reduction mix when they needed more tracks (great foresight by EMI). The same with the eight-track tapes. This enabled the gents at Abbey Road Studios to synchronize all the tracks to master tapes of up to 30 tracks in the 1990s, which proved most useful in the 5.1 remixing for the Yellow Submarine dvd, and the Anthology dvd (which comes out this next Tuesday). The possibilities are indeed wide.

Well, that would be great then!One thing that can be said about Abbey Road/EMI....they were pretty anal!Although I still question whether we really need to hear P.S. I Love You in 5.1....but at least it would make simple remastering for stereo easier. They really did rush those cd's to the market with no thought at all. There are better liner notes on a Mungo Jerry cd! I think Revolver would be my first choice for 5.1...it's finally being recognized as the greatest album of all time!

There are a few work tapes that didn't get saved, or "disappeared". These involve the songs "PS I Love You", "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "Ask Me Why", "She Loves You", and "I'll Get You". Also, the second part of "I Am The Walrus" was mixed live with the radio being tuned in and out of various stations during the mono mixing, so duplicating that effect accurately would be a real work of audio archeology.

I just purchased the anthology DVD and I Am The Walrus has one of the best mixes on the DVD (i haven't watched it all, but i listened to alot of the music). The radio part pans back and forth behind you.

It's sad to hear that the work tapes of those songs are missing. I have the fabulous sound labs stereo versions of the first for albums, and what a difference! I'd be happy with these in stereo i guess, well the first two at least. I've listened to them in mono for a long time, and the stereo versions are still very nice and fullfilling. They contain a stereo version of Ask Me Why and i found a stereo version of She Loves You (a bootleg with so-so sound quality, still much better than mono version). The 1 site also claims there is no stereo master of From Me to You, but i stumbled across a stereo version somehow. It sounds great.

After listening to the anthology, it seems most of the beatles songs have been remixed in 5.1, now the question is when will they be released. My guess is along with the Get Back album paul is working on getting released (October I think, earcandy_mag.tripod.com/r...back.htm). If anyone has any info or a good place to look for news on this stuff, please do tell, I'd be grateful.

Chris

Back