What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the mix of the Queen album that same as the mix on the 30th Anniversary DVD-V edition? (obviously not lossless...)

Have a look through these threads, Living Forever, they give you all the info you need on the ANATO 5.1 differences.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...pera-(DTS-DVD)&highlight=a+night+at+the+opera

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?5761-Queen-Night-at-the-Opera-AGAIN!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?5944-Queen-Twin-Disc-set-at-Sam-s-Club

Exciter - Depeche Mode (SACD)
Ultra - Depeche Mode (SACD)
Songs Of Faith And Devotion - Depeche Mode (SACD)
Music For The Masses - Depeche Mode (SACD)*

*(finally found a copy with the SACD in it! I've had two copies now used, both in the SACD marked packaging but both with CDs only inside, so it's a relief to have it on SACD.. at last!)

Electric Warrior - T-Rex (SACD)

The old (2003..?!) A&M Multichannel, not the newer (2011, I think?) Japanese SHM-SACD.

I passed on it too many times when it was readily available at sensible money, so it feels a bit crazy to have to pay $70 for it "Used" now.. ah, well I shouldn't complain.. I'm happy to have it.. and it was still a fair bit cheaper than I've seen it in a wee while.

Indigo Girls - All That We Let In (DD-DVD)
Squackett - A Life Within A Day (DTS-DVD)
Ronan Keating - Destination (SACD)

Is that the DualDisc of the Indigo Girls, Markus? Or was there a CD + DVD combo too?

Just out of interest, did you get the Ronan SACD new or used? and how much did you have to pay for it? I've noticed its much easier to get now than when i was really searching for it years and years ago.. back then it was nowhere to be found.. Shame it turned out to be such a pile of old crap after so much effort..!!

Is that the DualDisc of the Indigo Girls, Markus? Or was there a CD + DVD combo too?

Just out of interest, did you get the Ronan SACD new or used? and how much did you have to pay for it? I've noticed its much easier to get now than when i was really searching for it years and years ago.. back then it was nowhere to be found.. Shame it turned out to be such a pile of old crap after so much effort..!!

my Indigo Girls is a DualDisc. EUR 13.00 incl. s/h.

My Ronan was new (before I opened the shrink wrap). £10.68 incl. s/h to Germany from Amazon.co.uk.

Markus

LAGQ Latin SACD

This is a special one. Had to choose between an expensive DVD-A (EUR 33 and up) and a new CD+DVD edition for EUR 11.23 incl. s/h. Btw: there are even used copies of the CD+DVD box for EUR 6 incl. 3 EURO s/h. I hoped the DVD would held the DVD-Audio content besides video and stuff --- and it does!

Barenaked Ladies - EverythingTo Everyone (DVD-A)

Markus

Another Parsons, not because of him but because of Emmylou Harris.

Attachments

• parsons_grievous_angel_disk.jpg
    parsons_grievous_angel_disk.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 117
Gene Harris - Plus One
Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing
Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk
Ben Webster - Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson

Today Santa brought me a 2012 SA-CD MC release from Japan:

Tomita - Clair De Lune (SACD 4 CH Surround)

I got them from Far Side Music (http://www.farsidemusic.com/) in the UK. I asked and was told there are more copies on stock. In the past Far Side Music was a reliable source of Japanese imports to me.

Markus

Tomita.jpgTomita2.jpg

Can you let me know what this is like - I can pick a copy up locally...

Ok.. Well after one complete listen through, here's my thoughts on the Iron Maiden DVDA.

Bruce's vocals are hard panned in the centre, with only a touch of reverb on them at front left & right, so if you're not a fan of that kind of mix this won't do it for you.

I feel the mix does slightly over-expose his vocals, which are not what they were that's for sure, he sounds more strained than I remember on the highs and big notes, plus the vocals themselves aren't as well recorded as one would hope.

This is one time where I'd rather they'd blended in more across the front 3 channels but it is kind of cool to solo his vocals when you turn off all the other speakers, even if his voice has aged somewhat and it shows up more than ever when you do.

The rear activity is unusual, isolated and discrete, certainly not ambient, just very limited and not very interesting.

The rears here only ever feature crunching rhythm guitars, tiny acoustic guitar trills when the music's less full-on, or synth strings on other tracks - and that's it! they hardly do anything!

not because they're quiet or they're just ambience but because not much has been steered through them. if more had been directed around the sound field I believe the whole mix would sound a lot less compressed and congested, giving all the music more room to breathe.

All in all, it boils down to a rather odd surround mixing decision and all the tracks stay faithful to that configuration, not one straying from : Bruce in the centre, just about everything else in the front stereo and these slightly muted, slightly odd electric rhythm guitars or synths in the rears.

Fidelity-wise, it's better than I thought it would be, plenty of bass pumping through the sub and acoustic guitars in particular.

for example check out the final track, 11. "Journeyman". the first couple of minutes are the nicest thing here by far - synth strings isolated in the rears, acoustic guitar strumming away very nicely in front stereo, Bruce's voice holding together well as not under too much strain but its still far from an audiophiles' dream, put it that way.

my biggest gripe with it though is the sound, as there's no mid-bass to speak of and a thin, compressed mid to top end.

it's not mastered as overloud as i'd feared and its far from the worst-recorded hard rock/heavy metal music i've ever heard, its more dynamic than the Megadeth DVDA I got the other week for example, which sounded like I was back in '88 playing it on a chrome tape.. just awful!

not one I'll be playing very often but far from terrible. It is a bit of an oddity, one of very few surround albums I've encountered whereby if the mix had been more open & ambient (which ordinarily doesnt do it for me) and less discrete (with better mixing choices as to what and how to shift things about in the rear and centre channels) I would have preferred it, as it would have suited the material better.

oh and just for fits and giggles, I played back a couple of tracks from the stereo track on this DVDA back in Pro Logic. a tiny bit louder than the Adv. Res 5.1 but what an eye opener!

it gave a much better, fuller sound with the rhythm guitars blended in with the rest of the music and suddenly the mid-range that was missing in the surround presentation was all there! Bruce's vocals appeared across the front 3 and sounded much more natural, also the spread of sound at the rear opened the music up very nicely.

on a side note, I couldn't find anywhere in the liner a credit to whoever did the 5.1 mix.

I guess they didn't want their name put to it as it does nothing to enhance the music, as the best mixes do but in fact it sadly detracts from it, sucking the mid-bass energy out of it and doing nothing to showcase any of the artistry/musicianship in the material.

a shame as I was looking forward to this one, Bruce Dickinson is one of my favourite front men.. ah well :(

bottom line, I'd say only get it LizardKing if it's very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back