What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're correct, Lizard King. The sticker says CD/DVD Audio and the DVD Audio/Video logo is on the back cover.
The choices on the DVD side are DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. My DVD-A light is NOT lit. BS!!

Lively Up Yourself.

Just ordered the new Andy Partridge Peter Blegvad (Burning Shed APE release) set stereo only DVDA but at least DVDA

I hope this doesn't mark the start of a trend towards more stereo than surround DVD-A, the same way we now have oodles of stereo SACDs (both Japanese & U.S. audiophile releases) and relatively scant few surround SACD by comparison... :(

Mmmm, maybe I should try and find a copy because I find the sound on the SACD thin and anemic.

Of course I also find the music boring as hell but that's another story ;)

are you running full range mains, or bass managed sub/sat?

I find every Elliot Scheiner surround mix I have (and there are a fair few of 'em! and they're almost all excellent!) works much better if you keep the bass spread across the front speakers (if they can handle it) and switch the sub off.

Personally I love "Gaucho", not least for it marking their swansong but that it also heralds their metamorphosis.. how they stopped being that jamming rocky "live" band and became all about that laconic jazzy studio sound and feel.

to me, it's the ultimate refinement of their studio perfectionism.. yes it could be accused of a certain sterility and lack of spontaneity or excitement to it all but it's really expertly crafted and rather ahead of its time, whereas their previous albums were very much products of their time.. if you listen to it and think "1979", the "sound" on this was still being used as a studio benchmark (think "Toto", "Dire Straits", etc) well into the mid-80's.

plus if you know about the background to it being made, it's a miracle the album happened at all..!

Becker was going through some serious stuff personally (drugs addiction, relationship hassles with a girlfriend who OD'd & died on him, then he sustained injuries in a motor accident and was hospital-bound).. so Don practically put the bulk of the "Gaucho" album together himself, with Walt out of action.

plus if you've ever thought the album a bit "short" (even by SD standards!) then you'll know why, when it later emerged that one whole song (6min plus jobby, which was complete in every detail) was accidentally erased by a rookie engineer on playback to the band in the control room.

it was called "The Second Arrangement", there are demo's and a 30-second fragment of the finished song (presumably what was left of the master tape after the engineer had erased it..!?) floating about on the interwebs.

Don was apparently so devastated when he was told of the tracks' erasing that he got up not saying a word to anyone, walked out of the studio and didn't come back for days. he had faith in the track and it was everyone's favourite in the Dan camp.. so not only might the album have been a bit more padded out, it might have had something else on there to beef it up a bit!

although I would say, ultimately, having already had the DTS version with ES' 5.1 mix, that I'd happily trade it for any (preferably ALL!) of the other classic SD albums that came before it in 5.1..!!

You're correct, Lizard King. The sticker says CD/DVD Audio and the DVD Audio/Video logo is on the back cover.
The choices on the DVD side are DD 5.1 and DD 2.0. My DVD-A light is NOT lit. BS!!

Lively Up Yourself.

That's Slitherline for you!

Sorry, I mean Silverline!

I was thinking of Lizard King..

Hence the slithering..!! :D

That's Slitherline for you!

Sorry, I mean Silverline!

I was thinking of Lizard King..

Hence the slithering..!! :D

Hey!!!

Back on topic - Yellow Note - We Love Everybody ... Your'e Next - Dualdisc DVD-A (y) Lots of fun!!

All are 2ch Mobile Fidelity SACD's:

Double Vision - Foreigner
mfsl-cd-sealed-numbered-sacd-hybrid-foreigner-double-vision-7966-p[ekm]300x291[ekm].jpg

GP - Gram Parsons
9162MOBSA2058.jpg

Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
0663MOBSA2059.jpg

The Sky is Crying - Stevie Ray Vaughan
3277MOBSA2078.jpg

Soul to Soul - Stevie Ray Vaughan
3784MOBSA2076.jpg

In Step - Stevie Ray Vaughan
front.jpg

Classic Rock Masters - Current Music - Dualdisc Dolby Digital 5.1... another Slitherine release... it was cheap - I knew it was Dolby - I thought I'd give it a go - as most of the tracks I don't have.

Classic Rock.jpg

Classic Rock Masters - Current Music - Dualdisc Dolby Digital 5.1... another Slitherine release... it was cheap - I knew it was Dolby - I thought I'd give it a go - as most of the tracks I don't have.

Just Listening to the Blondie - awesome!!! The Blondie DVD-A is now higher up on my list!!!

Drums of Passion - Olatunji! (M/C SACD).

Thanks to Linda mentioning this on here a wee while back, I sought this out.

Took a fairly long time to get here from the States but worth it, it was cheap and it turned out to be brand new & sealed for £20.

Can't wait to hear this!!! Wooo!!

Beyond the Notes - Jon Lord (M/C SACD).

A lovely album. not expecting miracles from the surround mix.. but will give it a spin over the weekend and see if at least there's a step up in the Hi-Rez department and maybe a surprise or two in the 5.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back