What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've had this disc in my CART off and on for months. I do love ELP, but for some reason, couldn't get myself to select BUY. Well, today, I bit.....

TARKUS! This will be lots of fun, as Steve Wilson did the mix...and he is the man as we all know.

51GVM7kLW7L._SY100_.jpg

oh no! :(

can I make a suggestion? send it back and see if replacement still skips and if it does then rather than get yet another sealed one from the same seller, buy it used from an eBay seller with a good reputation. even if it still skips you can be sure the seller is scrupulous, they will have put it up for sale in good faith and if the problem manifested itself for them on their equipment they would mention in the listing or at least be aware that there may be a problem for the buyer too.. always a risk they only played the stereo or the lossy surround and so didn't encounter the problem if its isolated to the 5.1 Adv'd Res layer.. but could be worth a try if a straight swap of a new/sealed one from the same seller also skips.

Thanks for that suggestion, Adam. I'm just playing it again, after giving it another wipe, ok so far ! ( I won't touch wood ! )

I was thinking the song, " Belong " reminded me vocally of " Hovis Parsley ", and then it skipped ! I think a certain someone up above was sending me a sign ( in annoyance, probably ! )

Thanks for that suggestion, Adam. I'm just playing it again, after giving it another wipe, ok so far ! ( I won't touch wood ! )

I was thinking the song, " Belong " reminded me vocally of " Hovis Parsley ", and then it skipped ! I think a certain someone up above was sending me a sign ( in annoyance, probably ! )

I don't get why you'd need to wipe a brand new sealed disc to get it to play without skipping?!?
Was it visibly marked/crudded-up when you first took it out if its shrinkwrap? hmm... Odd!

I've had all sorts of optical discs for years (and years and years!) without ever having to wipe them! In fact it's reckoned the last thing you should do is wipe an SACD of a certain vintage with any liquid cleaning/anti-static solution (according to the little red & white "CAUTION" stickers on a fair few I've bought) for reasons I don't understand/know the reasons why!!

I don't get why you'd need to wipe a brand new sealed disc to get it to play without skipping?!?
Was it visibly marked/crudded-up when you first took it out if its shrinkwrap? hmm... Odd!

I've had all sorts of optical discs for years (and years and years!) without ever having to wipe them! In fact it's reckoned the last thing you should do is wipe an SACD of a certain vintage with any liquid cleaning/anti-static solution (according to the little red & white "CAUTION" stickers on a fair few I've bought) for reasons I don't understand/know the reasons why!!

There's clearly visible marks on the disc, Adam. It's played through with no problems, after wiping. I'll try it again tomorrow. I never put any kind of solution on a disc, I just wipe with a glasses cloth.

There's clearly visible marks on the disc, Adam. It's played through with no problems, after wiping. I'll try it again tomorrow. I never put any kind of solution on a disc, I just wipe with a glasses cloth.

what kind of marks? smudges? swirls? spots of discolouration of the reflective surface?

I think i'd describe it more like discolouration on the surface, I don't think it's smudges, they would come off, after several wipes.

sounds like a dud pressing (pretty sure I'd read somewhere somebody had REM DVD-A's where the bonding material had failed and the layers were splitting, causing just that kind of discolouration.. I'll do a search for it now).

if I were you I'd give up all that rubbing (you'll wear it out - and yourself..! - if you rub it too much!) and send the bugger back! :D

Oh crap !!! It's skipping again !!! :howl:howl:howl ( I'll have to send it back ! :( )

This is such a shame as it is such an amazing album and mixed so well too. I'd send it back, get another and as Adam says, you may well be better off buying an EX/VGC used example instead because it will almost certainly have been played and will be working fine.

Persevere, as it is, in my very humble opinion, not only one of the finest albums by R.E.M., but one of the best albums, musically, ever made and in 5.1, it is a benchmark Elliot Scheiner piece :)

This is such a shame as it is such an amazing album and mixed so well too. I'd send it back, get another and as Adam says, you may well be better off buying an EX/VGC used example instead because it will almost certainly have been played and will be working fine.

Persevere, as it is, in my very humble opinion, not only one of the finest albums by R.E.M., but one of the best albums, musically, ever made and in 5.1, it is a benchmark Elliot Scheiner piece :)

a thought just occurred to me.. having had a quick look around online "Out Of Time" is still plentiful, you can buy it new & sealed from many sellers on eBay and Amazon still at regular retail price.. could it be these are all reject stock..?!? :yikes

gets me wondering.. I'll open all my sealed stuff (including about half a dozen of these REMs I got for £3 each years ago!) see if they all play!

ahh.. nothing better to do on a boring bank holiday than a bit of disc unwrapping! :eek:

It played through last night ( after a wipe ) Just playing now, ( before a wipe....and after a wipe ! ) Fingers crossed !

I love the album & mix, got a couple more REM discs on the way, hope I don't get the same problem with them !

a thought just occurred to me.. having had a quick look around online "Out Of Time" is still plentiful, you can buy it new & sealed from many sellers on eBay and Amazon still at regular retail price.. could it be these are all reject stock..?!? :yikes

gets me wondering.. I'll open all my sealed stuff (including about half a dozen of these REMs I got for £3 each years ago!) see if they all play!

ahh.. nothing better to do on a boring bank holiday than a bit of disc unwrapping! :eek:

Scary thought! Scary that stores might be flogging of faulty stock and scary that you have discs still sealed, years after purchase!! :mad:@:

It played through last night ( after a wipe ) Just playing now, ( before a wipe....and after a wipe ! ) Fingers crossed !

I love the album & mix, got a couple more REM discs on the way, hope I don't get the same problem with them !

I completed my R.E.M. 5.1 CD/DVD-A collection a little while back (apart from the 'Document' DVD-A) and they were all fine. I think only one of them was a sealed copy but that was all ok. Hopefully, yours is a 'one off'.

I bought this from Amazon, i think they have one left, or last time i looked they did. They all say, " may be two additional days to deliver ", wonder where they come from ? I know there's German & Swiss sellers online. Some months ago on ebay, they suddenly had loads of REM discs, and was thinking of buying then.
( As much as i like Out Of Time, i don't want to experiment all day ! )

it shouldn't need wiping from new Rob! (Dixie4 Rob!) the disc is faulty! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back