New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Snood!!! I'm at page 8 now. I am just getting a kick out of everybodies reasons for liking surround. Everything I believe as a surround fan is being justified and quantified by experts and average Joes alike. Now, if I could just filter out everything from Fredblue, I might just have coffee money next week.

Now, if I could just filter out everything from Fredblue, I might just have coffee money next week.

Goood Luck with that - His Posts are more prominent towards the end. EJ this & EJ that - Steve Hoffman is really EJ or EJ is really Steve Hoffman. :mad:@:

We Kid becuz we all lub Fredblue :banana:

while I was in the bathroom the internet wind blew the pages forward, when I got back from the bathroom it was page 33 and I did not notice. ...........and uh yeah it wasn't my fault it was the internet wind!!!!

Internet Wind, uhm I might use that next time I'm in the bathroom and my wife uses it after me :mad:@:

OK, just got to page 38 and my eyes hurt. I don't know if I have heard anything SH has remastered, but I have gained respect for him and his ideas. If he prefers 2.0, so be it, but he is open minded at least. It is because of surround that I am buying new discs again. I am a vinyl/shellac junkie, but since getting an Oppo, I am embracing digital too. Digital also allows for a pain-free way to setup and listen to surround without worrying if I am damaging the grooves, etc. I don't typically care for modern (post 1987) music but am rebuying a few vintage titles and discovering a few new ones. I had hardly knew of Yes and only knew ELP for Nutrocker on a 45. Now I am going broke faster because digital is competing with analogue in my listening area. And for the record, there are mono titles that I hope never get remade into 2.0/4.0/5.1/etc. I listen to all standards as long as it feels good to me when I play it. Music is about fun and feeling good to me. Just the same feeling I get when I read most of the posts here at QQ.

The internet wind has diminished my signal to the point that I have lost all interwebs comnections cept for this site. Therefore, anything and everything posted here must be ture, since you are not allowd to lies on the interwebs.

Do you think he'll announce then what is coming out in 5.1?

SH said that nothing (meaning no titles, no mixes, I presume) has been decided on yet.. but the plan is AF will release at least 10 Hybrid MultiCh SACDs to test the waters.

From other comments made by SH, I'm not holding my breath for any of the unreleased 5.1 Fleetwood Mac mixes (music biz greed and bullshit by the sounds of it).. but it seems he is considering vintage Quad mixes as well as unreleased 5.1's, which is fantastic news!

SH said that nothing (meaning no titles, no mixes, I presume) has been decided on yet.. but the plan is AF will release at least 10 Hybrid MultiCh SACDs to test the waters.

From other comments made by SH, I'm not holding my breath for any of the unreleased 5.1 Fleetwood Mac mixes (music biz greed and bullshit by the sounds of it).. but it seems he is considering vintage Quad mixes as well as unreleased 5.1's, which is fantastic news!

Unfortunately some artists/ labels just say no. I do not understand why as they lose NOTHING. I would be happy with some of the unreleased 5.1 titles coming out, or remastering of titles that initially sounded terrible.

Wow! I'll mention that to Marshall at AF when I see him tomorrow at The Show at the Hilton Irvine.

Haha! You do that. ;)

.. but it seems he is considering vintage Quad mixes as well as unreleased 5.1's, which is fantastic news!

There are not a lot of Quad titles out there that I would want. The ones I do want, I already have.

There are not a lot of Quad titles out there that I would want. The ones I do want, I already have.

Ok maybe Snood is drunk................but that statement is making no sense to me and Me thanks ya for it :banana:

Had to read it over and over

It you have then why do you want it again 8P

Lub ya tooooooooooooo Perp ;)

Do you think he'll announce then what is coming out in 5.1?

Marshall says Multichannel SACDs are a go.

Work is underway to license titles. He has a number of 4.0 and 5.1 albums - both released and unreleased in Surround Sound - that he is considering for licensing. As noted earlier, it's up to the artists, management and labels after that.

One more thing: Marshall emphasizes that he doesn't want - or expect - anyone to buy AF Multichannel SACDs just to encourage more to be issued. Marshall says buy what you want and enjoy the music.

Until they deliver, we can't enjoy'em! :)
I'm quite happy of the choice of 10 titles as a test: we've already seen how Qaudio failed, with a first title that was stellar and sold out quickly and a second that has been a sleeper. I'm not expecting MJ Thriller but great stuff anyway for the new 5.1 side, while for the already-released-in-the-past-4.0 side a Caravanserai would be extra killer: Abraxas quad is too strange for a newbie 5.1 guy, while Caravanserai is just perfect and both are the only Santana stuff that was cosidered and released as sacd stereo - so the market is really there.

Until they deliver, we can't enjoy 'em! :)

I'm quite happy of the choice of 10 titles as a test: we've already seen how Qaudio failed, with a first title that was stellar and sold out quickly and a second that has been a sleeper. I'm not expecting MJ Thriller but great stuff anyway for the new 5.1 side, while for the already-released-in-the-past-4.0 side a Caravanserai would be extra killer: Abraxas quad is too strange for a newbie 5.1 guy, while Caravanserai is just perfect and both are the only Santana stuff that was considered and released as SACD stereo - so the market is really there.

You won't be hearing much from AF until they license titles and get closer to the release date. Then the marketing starts.

One key here is AF needs to appeal to multiple markets - Stereo CD reissues, Audiophile, Multichannel. So that is going to affect some potential titles. If an album has been recently re-released as a remastered Stereo SACD, that will move a title back on the list of potentials vs. say an album that hasn't been out recently either as a remastered Stereo SACD or a Multichannel SACD. The album that hasn't been remastered recently moves up since it appeals to the Stereo CD, Audiophile and Multichannel audience. So there is cross checking going on at AF.

In the case of Santana, Mobile Fidelity has Stereo SACDs of the Santana (self titled album) and Abraxas albums coming later this year. So they would be off the AF list of eligible titles for remastering. As Winopener notes, that applies to Caravanserai as well which is still widely available from Mobile Fidelity as a remastered Stereo SACD released in 2011.

The good news is that Marshall is a rock fan as you can see from his Hybrid Stereo SACD reissues to date. So the titles coming from AF in Hybrid Multichannel SACD will be right up the alley musically of many QQ participants I think.

In short, your patience over the upcoming weeks will be rewarded.

That's why a title like Court and Spark would be great. It's only been done on gold cd years ago and it's awesome all the way around. Sure it's only 4.0. But it's so good of a mix. And Steve Hofmann did it originally. Just my .02

You won't be hearing much from AF until they license titles and get closer to the release date. Then the marketing starts.

One key here is AF needs to appeal to multiple markets - Stereo CD reissues, Audiophile, Multichannel. So that is going to affect some potential titles. If an album has been recently re-released as a remastered Stereo SACD, that will move a title back on the list of potentials vs. say an album that hasn't been out recently either as a remastered Stereo SACD or a Multichannel SACD. The album that hasn't been remastered recently moves up since it appeals to the Stereo CD, Audiophile and Multichannel audience. So there is cross checking going on at AF.

In the case of Santana, Mobile Fidelity has Stereo SACDs of the Santana (self titled album) and Abraxas albums coming later this year. So they would be off the AF list of eligible titles for remastering. As Winopener notes, that applies to Caravanserai as well which is still widely available from Mobile Fidelity as a remastered Stereo SACD released in 2011.

The good news is that Marshall is a rock fan as you can see from his Hybrid Stereo SACD reissues to date. So the titles coming from AF in Hybrid Multichannel SACD will be right up the alley musically of many QQ participants I think.

In short, your patience over the upcoming weeks will be rewarded.

Rock please, yes indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back