Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audacity has an "Invert" effect that does it. Just load the multichannel flac/wav double click on the left channel, Invert, double click on the LFE channel, Invert, then export.

Audacity has an "Invert" effect that does it. Just load the multichannel flac/wav double click on the left channel, Invert, double click on the LFE channel, Invert, then export.

I've just downloaded Audacity 2.0.5 (latest version), never used this before. Which one of the tracks is FL? (there are no channel labels). Double-click on any track does nothing. There is no pop-up menu or option to 'invert' phase.

The standard order is FL, FR, C, LFE, RL, RR

So, you want to invert the 1st and 4th.

I've just downloaded Audacity 2.0.5 (latest version), never used this before. Which one of the tracks is FL? (there are no channel labels). Double-click on any track does nothing. There is no pop-up menu or option to 'invert' phase.

Are you sure? This is the description of "Invert":

This effect flips the audio samples upside-down. This normally does not affect the sound of the audio at all. It is occasionally useful, for example when the left and right channels of a song both contain equal amounts of vocals, but unequal amounts of background instruments. By inverting one of the channels and not the other and then converting from stereo to mono, the vocals will cancel each other out, leaving just the instrumentals. This only works if the exact same vocal signal is present in both of the channels to begin with.

Yes, that is exactly what you want to do. Their documentation actually kind of explains the problem people are hearing. Since there is supposed to be equal bass in both the left and right channel, and the left channel was accidentally inverted, they are canceling out (like the vocals canceling out in their example). By inverting the left channel, they will no longer cancel out and you will hear the bass.

Are you sure? This is the description of "Invert":

This effect flips the audio samples upside-down. This normally does not affect the sound of the audio at all. It is occasionally useful, for example when the left and right channels of a song both contain equal amounts of vocals, but unequal amounts of background instruments. By inverting one of the channels and not the other and then converting from stereo to mono, the vocals will cancel each other out, leaving just the instrumentals. This only works if the exact same vocal signal is present in both of the channels to begin with.

Thanks - I'll do this once I get my disc... If it ever ships from WOWHD....

I nominate steelydave as "King For The Day!" (y)

I accept your nomination!

Under my benevolent rule, no dynamic ranges will be below 14, mixing will be discrete and releases will be cheap and plentiful!

I accept your nomination!

Under my benevolent rule, no dynamic ranges will be below 14, mixing will be discrete and releases will be cheap and plentiful!

I support that - for a day...... (only) :D

I am the LizardKING....

I emailed the Road Runner Records store and asked that it be channeled to whoever may be responsible for such an issue, hard to say if they will do anything with the info however. I was just ready to buy the Blu Ray too, but luckily saw this thread first.

I do have the ability to toggle the phase per channel on my receiver, or rip the disc and fix it in my DAW, but hopefully I won't have to.

I honestly don't know how the phase would get inverted on those two tracks (sub and left front). To do it in the digital realm requires a conscious effort generally speaking, ie you have to apply phase inversion to the tracks, just like I did to un-invert them. If the mastering pass was done in the analog realm, it's possible that the mixing desk that the mastering engineer used was wired out of phase. Who knows!

Yeah I always wonder about that. The Pet Sounds DVD-A 5.1 remix had also inverted phase, wrong channel assignment, varying from track to track. How can someone screw up that much?

There is a german forum also "hifi-forum.de".
Here the customers also emailed them 2 weeks ago with no response till now :mad::howl.
I hope they will do something right.

I tried the phase correction yesterday on FL and LEF. And it is the mix as it should have been released.
Where is quality control?

I also wrote to Steven Wilson headquarter a few minutes ago:

"Hi Steven Wilson,

I don't know if you already heard about the "out of phase" problems regarding your "Opeth - Pale Communion" 5.1 mix.
The front left speaker and LFE are not in correct phase to the other speakers.
I'm a member of the quadraphonicquad-forum and just want to inform you that there is a lot of frustration going on about this release.
Perhaps you can join us for a few hours to comment on this.
Beside that issue it is another great mix you've done.

Thank in advance

Nico (IMachine)"

SW is aware of the situation. The fault comes from RoadRunner as they have chosen the mastering engineer and authoring house.

Well, I have 2 issues now. First, I'm disappointed that I can't pick up the issue with out of phase channels. Is it possible that I don't hear the lack of bass so much as I have my speakers set to small and the sub is handling the lower frequencies? Or is it more likely that my hearing is not what it used to be?

Second, I don't think I can adjust the phase on my REL quake sub as it is connected via a coaxial cable and I didn't find a way to swap the phase in the amp (Denon AVR2310).

Also, I'm seriously considering not pre-ordering any more. This is what the fourth disc now that has had a fault.

Well, I have 2 issues now. First, I'm disappointed that I can't pick up the issue with out of phase channels. Is it possible that I don't hear the lack of bass so much as I have my speakers set to small and the sub is handling the lower frequencies? Or is it more likely that my hearing is not what it used to be?

Second, I don't think I can adjust the phase on my REL quake sub as it is connected via a coaxial cable and I didn't find a way to swap the phase in the amp (Denon AVR2310).

Also, I'm seriously considering not pre-ordering any more. This is what the fourth disc now that has had a fault.
Hi Capsid, no worries :) I am not hearing a major difference either when adjusting the phase of FL. It does sound more coherent, but not a day and night difference. My speakers are set to large, and do produce bass, although not very present in the mix.

Room acoustics probably also play a part in this.

Re your sub, do you have a phase knob on it? My BK has one, although turning it from 0 degrees to 180 degrees did change the sound, but not for the better. I guess some of us will only be able to hear the difference when we compare the current disc to a newly authored one.

Last edited:
Hi Capsid, no worries :) I am not hearing a major difference either when adjusting the phase of FR. It does sound more coherent, but not a day and night difference. My speakers are set to large, and do produce bass, although not very present in the mix.

Room acoustics probably also play a part in this.

Re your sub, do you have a phase knob on it? My BK has one, although turning it from 0 degrees to 180 degrees did change the sound, but not for the better. I guess some of us will only be able to hear the difference when we compare the current disc to a newly authored one.

You adjusted FR instead if FL?

You need to invert the phase on the Front Left AND LFE channels or there will still be cancellation going on.

Back