Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did the LF polarity swap. It solved the problem for me also.

I wonder if Roadrunner will even bother correcting it. Maybe if SW gets wind of it, he could put some pressure on them.

They have to fix it or refund everyone. We have rights as consumers.

OK I will be complaining in morning. Damn shame about this, I am really dissapointed.

Choosing Stereoboutique to complain for me was also to ask about the remaining 2 downloads that are coming with the deluxe set. They are not available yet, so I could ask two questions in one go. Using one Warmers email address is the better option though.

Thanks for your and fredblues response. I swapped the LG player with a Sony player and now the receiver displays Dolby true HD and the surround sound sounds fantastic.
The Denon doesn't give the most informative data on its display, but I only see DD True-HD multi & stereo when I switch between the audio settings, in multi plenty going on in the rear channels, mainly keyboards & vocals.. I let the Denon do the decode and output PCM to the amp.

Thanks for your and fredblues response. I swapped the LG player with a Sony player and now the receiver displays Dolby true HD and the surround sound sounds fantastic.

kind of you to say mixamatt though I don't feel this has been my finest hour for dishing out advice on here! :eek: thankfully steelydave came to the rescue with proof in the form of data rather than my own special brand of conjecture! :D

Tried to switch phase on my LF speaker.Had to do it on my Parsound Halo amp as my speakers are biwired with spade lugs.
Easy on the amp with :banana:plugs.Played track 3 as it has some nice drums/bass guitar interplay.An indeed the kick drum kicks harder and the bass guitar is louder and easier to follow.Will try the whole album this way tomorrow.

Regards

Damn, another screw up. I always wonder how these things happen. I'm sure the mixes were perfect when they left SW's computer.

My first Opeth recording...Bummer this disc has issues as the music and mix are really good :D
First listen, I'm not having the issues or at least no where near as pronounced as other QQ'ers. My setup may be quite different though: All speakers set to Large, 2 subs, with a bass x-over set at 100Hz (Subs receive LFE & frequencies < 100 Hz)...
5th Track has a really nice opening :sun

My first Opeth recording...Bummer this disc has issues as the music and mix are really good :D
First listen, I'm not having the issues or at least no where near as pronounced as other QQ'ers. My setup may be quite different though: All speakers set to Large, 2 subs, with a bass x-over set at 100Hz (Subs receive LFE & frequencies < 100 Hz)...
5th Track has a really nice opening :sun
Just curious: any system that I've used when setting all speakers to large none of the 5.0 channels send anything to the sub. The x-over only kicks in when the speaker is set to small.

OK - So is there an easy way to invert the phase of the channels in a software tool?

Just curious: any system that I've used when setting all speakers to large none of the 5.0 channels send anything to the sub. The x-over only kicks in when the speaker is set to small.

My Yamaha AVR has a setting called "Extra Bass" which allows frequencies under the X-over setting to go the the sub.

The 2 bonus tracks on this album are really good too (although live tracks and 2.0) :sun

Just played a few mins of this disc again.
I also now believe that something is up with the bass on this disc, and that could only be the beginning.

BRB...

I informed Steven of the screw up: as expected of course the problem doesn't come from his end.

My guess is authoring...

A question: is someone credited with the authoring? Is Pascal Byrne also credited for mastering the 5.1? I haven't got my physical copy yet to check...

My guess is authoring...

A question: is someone credited with the authoring? Is Pascal Byrne also credited for mastering the 5.1? I haven't got my physical copy yet to check...

Once I find a magnifying glass to read the tiny print I'll let you know... :ugham:

JK...all it shows in my booklet is Mastering by Paschal Byrne. Nothing at all concerning authoring...

I really can't find any specific info for the blu-ray in the booklet either. "Mastering conjured by Paschal Byrne" is all it says, without mentioning the surround mix at all.

I honestly don't know how the phase would get inverted on those two tracks (sub and left front). To do it in the digital realm requires a conscious effort generally speaking, ie you have to apply phase inversion to the tracks, just like I did to un-invert them. If the mastering pass was done in the analog realm, it's possible that the mixing desk that the mastering engineer used was wired out of phase. Who knows!

As far as easy ways to change the phase, I used Nuendo as mentioned, but I'm sure there is other multitrack software that would allow you to do the same thing.

STOP PRESS:

I just looked at all of the tracks in Nuendo, and relative to the other tracks, the Front Left and LFE tracks are out of phase. When you correct this there is tons of bass.

I nominate steelydave as "King For The Day!" (y)

King.jpg

Back