MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've happy to have both for song selection options but soundwise those 3-Channel SACDs are something else!

When the sound source is from the Original Analog Master Tapes and the remastering engineer is Kevin Gray or Steve Hoffman and Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center is involved, chances are you're going to have something special - as the Nat King Cole SACDs and DSD Downloads show.

OK guys, I will have to do lots more shopping.:banana: I will have to wait till next month though, this happy season has bankrupted me temporarily. I am definitely interested in the Nat "King" Cole SACD's.

John Lennon - Imagine (Pure Audio Blu-Ray)
So, I took one for the team. This release is FAR from superior audio....fact of the matter, I feel it is rather inferior. Do we listen to John Lennon for his drums? No, do we listen to him for his amazing guitar solos? Nope.

Last time I checked...it's his voice and many times, his piano playing abilities. Both of those items are buried in the mix...vocals are weak, often even slightly muffled. Just not good.

So - for anyone wanting Imagine....I think your next choice should NOT be this Pure Audio version. Not worth the money whatsoever.

So, I took one for the team. This release is FAR from superior audio....fact of the matter, I feel it is rather inferior. Do we listen to John Lennon for his drums? No, do we listen to him for his amazing guitar solos? Nope.

Last time I checked...it's his voice and many times, his piano playing abilities. Both of those items are buried in the mix...vocals are weak, often even slightly muffled. Just not good.

So - for anyone wanting Imagine....I think your next choice should NOT be this Pure Audio version. Not worth the money whatsoever.

I wish they'd do a blu-ray edition of the Lennon Legend compilation - with the surround mixes that were used on the DVD, and lossless audio. I think those were done pretty well.

Hmm, maybe it was mastered for BD Audio by a drummer?

Crime Of The Century - Supertramp (HFPA BDA 2.0@192/24)

I have read the negative reports here but apart from missing 5.1 i am pleased with this.
Compared to my old remastered cd 393647-2 this is much better.
The bass is much deeper and more powerful and i can hear more details in the music.
But of course i don´t like that i don´t get the extra material from the new cd release which in this case is an concert.

Within Temptation Black symphony. RUSH TAKE NOTE PLEASE!
LPCM 5.1 mix at 13 mbps; immense 5.1 very active at all times. Mastered by Darcy proper.

Bonus DVD DTS 24/96 CONCERT!

This is how you make Blu Ray concerts! Actually mix the music in 5.1 especially if there are DOZENS of instruments on stage. Shame the Epica Bu ray sucked compared to this.

One of the best Blu rays EVER released.

Listening to this again right now. I love this band and this Blu-Ray is quite enjoyable. I actually think Simone of Epica sings at bit better but the dude stepping all over her with the death growl crap kills that band for me. Within Temptation is just pure joy to hear. This mix is pretty good and seems to be well sorted out.

b2f.jpg

DTS-HD 5.1 has some nice surround, not just ambience.

Listening to this again right now. I love this band and this Blu-Ray is quite enjoyable. I actually think Simone of Epica sings at bit better but the dude stepping all over her with the death growl crap kills that band for me. Within Temptation is just pure joy to hear. This mix is pretty good and seems to be well sorted out.

Epica are a much better band IMO, great rhythm section. Shame their Blu Ray set is only DD 5.1 and sounds rubbish(PCM 2.0 is ok).

WT Blu Ray is pretty compressed but has a real nice 5.1 mix and plenty of options, good value for money. Their latest offering is only DD!

Back