ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but now I want one! :music I think I saw this on PBS way back when... I like this guy's playing quite a bit.

< google google > Oops! A bit piricey, I see.
Maybe not, looks like The Amazone has it starting around ten bucks if the listing is correct. I'm interested but couldn't find many reviews concerning sound quality and the DTS 5.1 mix.

Yes, I have it.
Don't remember off top of my head about the surround mix.
Says DTS 24 bit/48k 5.1 on the disc.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to listen/watch to this one again.

vinylguy4
When you get a chance, your opinion would be much appreciated.:)

I still have a few of those TDK carrying cases. We sold them packaged with some blank cassettes.

Around that time, we also sold Maxell plexi cassette cases, which I still have, as well.
(sorry, no pic). They were great, except the hinge pins would work their way out, so they needed to be sealed at the ends with glue. Again, a premium when you bought their blank cassettes.

BASF had a vinyl case for free when you bought 3 FeCr (REAL Ferri Chrome, not cobalt-doped ferric oxide.)
mMExqxUwd92IbvDLgQHcudA.jpg

I also have a couple Lebo carrying cases:
megAsZOWT5hFe9uyWgPvNrg-1.jpg

I also received a few "mystery" 8-track and cassette carrying cases from a girlfriend in November. She moved to Denver, so she gifted me her late Stepfather's LP, 8 track, cassette, and open reel collection. It included 50 Q8's, and some vintage gear, including Sansui QRX-5500 and QRX-7500's.

I used to buy either Maxell or TDK tapes and I used to love those free "carrying cases" for the cassettes...later on after the audio cassette era was over I used those cases to store my 8mm video tapes..I'm sure you had these "carrying cases" in your car

View attachment 23967
View attachment 23968
View attachment 23969

I also had a PDR-509. I sold lots of them, too, especially when we were closing them out.

It was replaced a year or two later with a Yamaha CDR-HD1000 CD burner/Hard Drive. The CDR-HD1000 resides on our main system, along with a burner in a 27" iMac. Although the Yamaha isn't two drawer, you can load discs into the hard drive and burn them back to CD-R, negating the need for a second drawer. It makes better CD's than either the iMac or HP Pavillion PC's we own.

8950313_440_1.gif

After the audio cassette bit the dust next up was the homemade CD's to take in your car...you could make those compilation discs pretty easily...or just get a greatest hits CD and burn it from that source...I STILL have my CD recorder(I hate to throw this stuff away)as you will see below
View attachment 23970
View attachment 23971
View attachment 23972

Linda - we can always count on you to post all your cool equipment/stories. You are awesome! I wish I had kept all my old equipment.... :violin

Not only do I remember the Sony portable HIGH FIDELITY Cassette decks, I still have the first one they made. It was TC-152SD, the predecessor to TC-153SD.

Yup! I started saving up for the 152, and by the time I had just about enough dough, it had been superseded! So I saved a little longer and got the 153, heh. I wish I could say I still have mine, but I really put a lotta miles on that thing (literally)!

-- Jim

Just a random thought...about one of my favorite all time bands...I usually hate it when a rock band does acoustic versions of their hit rock songs...Bon Jovi comes to mind...ugh...but there are exceptions to almost every rule...and this is one of those times...with a lead singer that is very underrated and has stood the test of time...and some of the all time classic rock songs in their catalog...I really liked this concert...even in the acoustic style...and I would recommend it for purchase HERE...here is a taste

[video=youtube;zHQAElxHdHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQAElxHdHg[/video]

Just a random thought...about one of my favorite all time bands...I usually hate it when a rock band does acoustic versions of their hit rock songs...Bon Jovi comes to mind...ugh...but there are exceptions to almost every rule...and this is one of those times...with a lead singer that is very underrated and has stood the test of time...and some of the all time classic rock songs in their catalog...I really liked this concert...even in the acoustic style...and I would recommend it for purchase HERE...here is a taste

[video=youtube;zHQAElxHdHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQAElxHdHg[/video]

I wish the Scorps could make it to the HOF, but I just feel there is NO way....but if they did....would be very cool.

I wish the Scorps could make it to the HOF, but I just feel there is NO way....but if they did....would be very cool.

With the present political agenda of the HOF it's going to be harder and harder for older rock bands to gain admission...with the induction of NWA it signals a change of direction..."these" type of entrants from a different genre will force some of the older rock bands out of the picture...the actual music will become less and less important as political correctness invades yet another facet of our lives...sad but true..

I'm not sure what this has to do with music....but I have 2 12 oz. New York Strip steaks marinating overnight in a mixture of

* Balsamic Vinegar
* Soy Sauce
* Worchestershire
* Olive Oil
* Dijon mustard
* Fresh garlic
* cracked black pepper

Whoa...I can't wait for tomorrow to fire those babies up.

..reminds me of that classic line in the Baskerville movie with Peter Cook..

"I've lost a medium rare in a world where the stakes are high…"

wocka :ugham:

http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/houndofthebaskervilles.html

Just bought a copy of Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees - Half Speed Master LP for $19.31 shipped. Clint....this ebay thing is fully your fault. :) :)

attachment.php

Better a half-speed mastered than a half-assed mastered LP.. :eek:

..I never understood why Columbia didn't exploit this huge album (which I didn't know until more recent years but have come to love dearly btw) in the States by doing it in QUAD.. or in latter days as a truly Classic album in surround!?!!?! I wonder if there is an unreleased 4.0 (or 5.1) mix in Sony's vaults... hmm..

Just ordered the following albums from Deep Discount, and got a 15% discount...great deal.

Uriah Heep's debut album - Very Eavy, Very Umble
71He5CQkpxL._SL1000_.jpg

And, Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Sad_wings_of_destiny_cover.jpg

No, used. It's mint+ condition. According to seller.

When it comes to buying used vinyl I think you are going to find out that the condition is a very subjective opinion...I hope you are concentrating on the seller ratings for vinyl...buying used is as much about the seller's reputation as the product itself...I buy a lot on Ebay and have never had a bad experience because I research the sellers...of course buying a SACD is much different than a vinyl LP... a crappy shipping container can easily damage an LP...

Au contraire, it's all too easy... :eek:

click of a mouse and wait for it too arrive....that part is certainly easy....I just want my buddy Gos to do his homework so he doesn't have a bad experience on Ebay...because IMO Ebay is a great place to buy music...especially CD's and out of print hi rez titles...where you can see what version you are buying...

When it comes to buying used vinyl I think you are going to find out that the condition is a very subjective opinion...I hope you are concentrating on the seller ratings for vinyl...buying used is as much about the seller's reputation as the product itself...I buy a lot on Ebay and have never had a bad experience because I research the sellers...of course buying a SACD is much different than a vinyl LP... a crappy shipping container can easily damage an LP...

Yes, so far, only bought from sellers who have years of experience and very high ratings. That Boz Scaggs half speed master is OOP and to get a sealed new copy you have to spend nearly $100....so if I can get a near mint copy for less than $20....I think it's a good deal. Now, if the damn thing has skips...well....not such a good deal. So far, the 2 used LP's I've purchase on ebay have been in very good condition....

Back