ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quicksrt just mentioned the Fillmore East in another thread. Something in the back of my memory sparked....not sure how many of you have or used to have one of Ozzy Osbourne's older live albums when he first started his solo career called SPEAK OF THE DEVIL???

It is an absolute sonic assault and showcases how lethal Osbourne was live...certainly after leaving Sabbath. It's always been a favorite of mine, although, I no longer have the LP (I'm gonna buy it!! If I can)

Aaaaanyway. There is a 30 second moment where Ozzy yells to the crowd....in his very thick, inebriated voice. "You ever been to the Fillmore East? Come on! Who's been to the Fillmore East man! Let's hear it for the Fillmore East!!! Where we all used to get Shitfaced with the groupies, huh?"

Geez - I haven't thought about that in a LONG time, but I remember cranking that part in my room back in the day! I felt like I was there. :)

Quicksrt just mentioned the Fillmore East in another thread. Something in the back of my memory sparked....not sure how many of you have or used to have one of Ozzy Osbourne's older live albums when he first started his solo career called SPEAK OF THE DEVIL???

It is an absolute sonic assault and showcases how lethal Osbourne was live...certainly after leaving Sabbath. It's always been a favorite of mine, although, I no longer have the LP (I'm gonna buy it!! If I can)

Aaaaanyway. There is a 30 second moment where Ozzy yells to the crowd....in his very thick, inebriated voice. "You ever been to the Fillmore East? Come on! Who's been to the Fillmore East man! Let's hear it for the Fillmore East!!! Where we all used to get Shitfaced with the groupies, huh?"

Geez - I haven't thought about that in a LONG time, but I remember cranking that part in my room back in the day! I felt like I was there. :)

I was at the Fillmore East 2 times. Both were to see Zappa with the Flo & Eddie version of the Mothers. The Fillmore always had 2 shows per night. I always went to the early show. During the late show on one of the days I went was when John & Yoko showed up on stage. Damn, if only I could have stayed up longer.

Check it out

Boy did I goof. On another thread...well, could have been this one. I said I was getting this...

81U3KPaauZL._SX425_.jpg

Oh, I got it alright. I got halfway through watching it and I just couldn't but help but think the picture quality seemed a little "off". Looked "pretty" good, but somehow I was feeling like I needed to check the settings on my TV. Then 2 hours later it hit me... I BOUGHT THE DAMNED DVD/CD VERSION...NOT THE BLU-RAY/CD VERSION! What did I say? I said :yikes

WTF! How did I do that? Went back to my Amazon order, and sure enough...I accidentally had purchased the DVD instead of the Blu! Here's the kicker. I loved the disc and music so much that I immediately got back on Amazon and purchased the correct version. Talk about DDS! Double Dipping Stupidity...

Boy did I goof. On another thread...well, could have been this one. I said I was getting this...

Oh, I got it alright. I got halfway through watching it and I just couldn't but help but think the picture quality seemed a little "off". Looked "pretty" good, but somehow I was feeling like I needed to check the settings on my TV. Then 2 hours later it hit me... I BOUGHT THE DAMNED DVD/CD VERSION...NOT THE BLU-RAY/CD VERSION! What did I say? I said :yikes

WHF! How did I do that? Went back to my Amazon order, and sure enough...I accidentally had purchased the DVD instead of the Blu! Here's the kicker. I loved the disc and music so much that I immediately got back on Amazon and purchased the correct version. Talk about DDS! Double Dipping Stupidity...

Yep, that's a goof :mad:@:. I once bought a cd that I forgot that I already had, and that's a bigger goof!

The Flying Colors disc is superb, great songs and excellent performance. Very enjoyable, and I've played it quite a few times. The picture quality on the blu ray is indeed very good, but I wouldn't say that the hi res sound is anything special though, especially as regards surround.

Well...Dream Theater has a new release...it's a concept album..and it's LONG...for those "blue light special" shoppers that frequent the poll threads these days and crave more content for their shopping dollar...this one is right up your alley...34 songs and over 2 hours long..it's not a surround release...and Richard Chycki has done the mix...lots of division about the quality of Richard's work with Rush...some like him others don't...I guess the marketing department must think Richard is a star...they boast about his involvement with Rush for this DT release..here is an overview of the album...and you can order it HERE

Yep, that's a goof :mad:@:. I once bought a cd that I forgot that I already had, and that's a bigger goof!

The Flying Colors disc is superb, great songs and excellent performance. Very enjoyable, and I've played it quite a few times. The picture quality on the blu ray is indeed very good, but I wouldn't say that the hi res sound is anything special though, especially as regards surround.

yeah, I agree - but the sound is good...I mean it's clear. And wow, that dude can sing......what an amazing voice he has....of course there is Portnoy at drums.....wild man.

yeah, I agree - but the sound is good...I mean it's clear. And wow, that dude can sing......what an amazing voice he has....of course there is Portnoy at drums.....wild man.

Sorry no Portnoy this album or the last at least two...but his replacement Mangini is pretty awesome in different ways! :music

So I got up a little earlier than normal this morning, and I ended up watching the classic albums documentary for "Rio" by Duran Duran on Qello. (In case you don't know what that is: https://qello.com) And while I was watching, I was thinking to myself how great it would be to be able to mix that album in 5.1 surround. Recent releases from the likes of bands like Simple Minds, XTC, and Tears for Fears along with older releases from bands like Roxy Music, Crowded House, Talking Heads, and Depeche Mode have made me realize just how brilliantly suited that kind of music is for surround sound.
Hope Springs Eternal! (And I'll gladly let Steven Wilson remix "Rio" if he gets to it first.) ;)

My thougths exactly, music like Duran Duran would be perfect in 5.1. ABCs Lexicon Of Love would be smashy in 5.1 as well, punchiness and crispness with delicate synth sounds in harmony.

E: typo

Last edited:
Back