2016 Surround Release Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SACD of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow has me intrigued as is the reissue for Billy Cobham's Spectrum. That's quite a comprehensive list.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Well, I was going by Haikubass's excellent lists. According to those; in 2013, 2014 and 2015 we had 39, 50 and 70 respectively. We're just over three months into 2016 and we already had or know about 36 releases. I know of at least another four, maybe even five that haven't been announced yet.

I'm actually more interested in what people other than Steven Wilson are doing. I love his work and will buy it all, but he's only one man and the format needs to be bigger than that if the resurgence we've seen is going to be sustained.

It's all good, though! :)

I'm of the same mindset.. since I'm moving away from most of the progressive titles(just not my style of music).....I need someone besides Steven Wilson to fill the void... AF is doing a great job but they can't take care of the marketplace on their own......titles like Idlewild South and Tusk and Moondance are what I'd like to see more of...just saying...and even on the non surround front... if MoFi would just release some of their "coming titles" that have been listed for 2 years or more I'd be a happy camper:)...but I'm still glad that we are getting some titles and I'm hoping for more in the future(y)

I'm of the same mindset.. since I'm moving away from most of the progressive titles(just not my style of music).....I need someone besides Steven Wilson to fill the void...
i'm mainly in prog.rock, don't have anything against already done and planned to be done with old school artists,
but would like to see more new fresh artists in HiRez surround, beside Katatonia, Nosound, Dream Theater.

The numbers look good but there's lots of material previously released, many from smaller artists and no blockbusters or classic albums of note (for me), actually Fleetwood Mac's Mirage is one. ONE!

Nothing in that list is keeping me up at night with anticipation/excitement or threatening to blow my budget in 2016.

I'm of the same mindset.. since I'm moving away from most of the progressive titles(just not my style of music).....I need someone besides Steven Wilson to fill the void... AF is doing a great job but they can't take care of the marketplace on their own......titles like Idlewild South and Tusk and Moondance are what I'd like to see more of...just saying...and even on the non surround front... if MoFi would just release some of their "coming titles" that have been listed for 2 years or more I'd be a happy camper:)...but I'm still glad that we are getting some titles and I'm hoping for more in the future(y)

What really excites me from Steven Wilson are the non-progressive remixes that have yet to be released, specifically "Roxy Music", "The Seeds of Love", and anything and everything XTC! Plus, the two unreleased King Crimson remixes ("Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair") are farther away from (traditional) prog than almost anything else that King Crimson has released over their long career, and if "Discipline" is any indication, those other 80s albums should sound incredible in surround too! If we actually get all those titles this year, plus maybe some more from the likes of groups like Jethro Tull, Yes, and Gentle Giant (not to mention any other surprises that crop up), then I will be a lot more willing to deem this one of the best years for surround ever, but like I said before, until then, I'm just going to sit back, marvel, and enjoy at what we do get, cause things are off to a great start so far! :)

What really excites me from Steven Wilson are the non-progressive remixes that have yet to be released, specifically "Roxy Music", "The Seeds of Love", and anything and everything XTC! Plus, the two unreleased King Crimson remixes ("Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair") are farther away from (traditional) prog than almost anything else that King Crimson has released over their long career, and if "Discipline" is any indication, those other 80s albums should sound incredible in surround too! If we actually get all those titles this year, plus maybe some more from the likes of groups like Jethro Tull, Yes, and Gentle Giant (not to mention any other surprises that crop up), then I will be a lot more willing to deem this one of the best years for surround ever, but like I said before, until then, I'm just going to sit back, marvel, and enjoy at what we do get, cause things are off to a great start so far! :)

Quite So, RT. I have LOVED every King Crimson DVD~A 5.1 REMIX which, IMO, eclipse the Vinyl and RBCD remasters by a significantly wide margin and ROXY, Seeds of Love and XTC remasters (am STILL awaiting Skylarking, tho) are MUCH anticipated.

Like SO many posters, however, I really wish contemporary artists would JUMP (skip or run) on the multichannel bandwagon and give this awesome format the JUMPSTART it SO desperately needs. I mean, what would it take to initiate a multichannel remix when recording a NEW album. And so many of the NEW albums are ripe for multichannel across ALL genres (hip hop, RAP, R&B, etc).

ALL motion pictures [and TV shows whether Network or Cable] today are conceived with mch soundtracks so why haven't the recording artists gotten hip to this reality? It just seems inconceivable to me that they are SO oblivious to this trend....which would not only elucidate but enhance plain ole STEREO.....which is so 1960!

Like SO many posters, however, I really wish contemporary artists would JUMP (skip or run) on the multichannel bandwagon and give this awesome format the JUMPSTART it SO desperately needs. I mean, what would it take to initiate a multichannel remix when recording a NEW album. And so many of the NEW albums are ripe for multichannel across ALL genres (hip hop, RAP, R&B, etc)
in surround we should have widest range of different kind of music, like from Western to Country :)
on serious note, well i wouldn't buy RAP but obviously it doesn't bother me if those who like RAP, Hip Hop,
Pop, etc. will be able to get what they like in the best possible quality.

c'mon, i have SACDs Shania Twain and Alison Krauss. that's more than enough to feed my hunger for Country music :)

Yes but Junior Brown gives you Country and humor in SACD Surround Sound.
An unbeatable combination in my book.... :)

Junior certainly is a cipher. With his 10 gallon hat, shark skin suit & mellifluous deep "Merle Haggard" baritone voice he certainly strikes the "country" cornpone image. Songs like "My Wife Thinks You're Dead" are straight out country (with a wink). But when Junior unleashes his "GuitSteel" axe - a home brew consisting of a lap steel and telecaster - watch out. The "Down Home Chrome" SACD is OK - but to call Junior country is to damn him with faint praise. Here's a shot I took of Junior down in Austin, TX around 2008 at SXSW.

IMG_0400.JPG

Or better yet, check this out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu6-XpWU

Well, I was going by Haikubass's excellent lists. According to those; in 2013, 2014 and 2015 we had 39, 50 and 70 respectively. We're just over three months into 2016 and we already had or know about 36 releases. I know of at least another four, maybe even five that haven't been announced yet.

I'm actually more interested in what people other than Steven Wilson are doing. I love his work and will buy it all, but he's only one man and the format needs to be bigger than that if the resurgence we've seen is going to be sustained.

It's all good, though! :)
When it is done by Lord Soord or Rob Reed I am in :)

Or even Jakko. :)

I also find that Karl Groom of Threshold fame, does some good engineering work for Arena and Pendragon as much as his own band. :)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

When it is done by Lord Soord or Rob Reed I am in :)

Have you heard Max Read's surround mixes of the last two albums from "The Enid"?

https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/24-96-hd-5-1-surround.html

They're both jaw droppingly good and, honestly, I'm not saying that just because I play tested them. They're immense in how discrete and aggressive the surround mix is and also in dynamic range. I'm really looking forward to more from Max and hope he does "In The Region of the Summer Stars" at some point. Mind you, I would also like to hear "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "Aerie Fairy Nonsense" in surround. :)

You are joking, right? 2016 has been the best year for surround in recent times and we're only four months in.

Kiama – Sign of IV (2CD+DVD-V [dts]) 1/18
Steven Wilson – 4 ½ (BD-A) 1/22
America – Hearts (SACD) 1/22
Andy Jackson – 73 Days at Sea (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 1/29
Mike Oldfield – Discovery (2CD+DVD-V [dts]) 1/29 5.1 for selected tracks only (The 1984 Suite)
Anthony Phillips – Wise After the Event (3CD+DVD-A) 2/5
Frank Valdor – Fantastic Golden Latin Hits (DVD-A) 2/5
The Enid – The Bridge (FLAC [96/24]) 2/24
Tony Banks – A Curious Feeling (CD+DVD-V) 2/26
Tony Banks – The Fugitive (CD+DVD-V) 2/26
Billy Cobham – Spectrum (SACD) 2/26
Herbie Hancock – Thrust (SACD) 2/26
Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hall (2SACD) 3/18
Blackfield – Live in NYC (CD+DVD-V [dts 48/24]) 3/18
Boris with Merzbow – Gensho (2CD / FLAC) 3/18
Big Big Train – Stone and Steel (BD-V) 3/21 / 7/4 (NTSC version)
Tomita – Okhotsk Genso (SACD) 3/23
Jeff Beck – Blow by Blow (SACD) 3/25
Earth, Wind & Fire – Head to the Sky (SACD) 3/25
The Enid – Dust (FLAC [96/24]) 4/1
Anthony Phillips – Sides (3CD+DVD) 4/15
Various Artists – The Collection (SACD) 4/15
Roger Shah – Music for Meditation, Yoga & Any Other Wellbeing Moments (BD-A) 4/15
Jethro Tull – Aqualung (2CD+2DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 4/22
Rick Wakeman – Journey to the Centre of the Earth (CD+DVD-A / 3CD+DVD-A) 5/6
Katatonia – The Fall of Hearts (CD+DVD-V [dts 96/24]) 5/20
Mannheim Steamroller – Fresh Aire 8 (SACD) 5/20
Steve Hackett – Please Don't Touch (2CD+DVD) 5/27
Steve Hackett – Spectral Mornings (2CD+DVD) 5/27
Steve Hackett – Defector (2CD+DVD) 5/27 Penteo upmix
Rob Reed – Sanctuary II (CD+DVD-A) May
Barclay James Harvest – Everyone Is Everybody Else (2CD+DVD) 6/10
Barclay James Harvest – Gone to Earth (2CD+DVD) 6/10
The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds (4CD+BD-A) 6/10
Laura Nyro – Eli and the Thirteenth Confession (SACD) 6/17
Nosound – Scintilla (CD+BD-V) June

...and there are at least four additional titles that haven't made it onto haikubass's superb list yet.

Only 5 of them excite me unfortunately.

I totally agree Neil, the Enid are a unique classical/rock band, and the sound quality & surround mixes are great. I really hope we see a 5.1 mix of "In The Region Of The Summer Stars" as well, loved it for 40 years!

EDIT PS: Joined the fanclub, hopefully the money will go towards paying for 5.1 mixes

Have you heard Max Read's surround mixes of the last two albums from "The Enid"?

They're both jaw droppingly good and, honestly, I'm not saying that just because I play tested them. They're immense in how discrete and aggressive the surround mix is and also in dynamic range. I'm really looking forward to more from Max and hope he does "In The Region of the Summer Stars" at some point. Mind you, I would also like to hear "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "Aerie Fairy Nonsense" in surround. :)

Thanks Neil. I just bought both these. (NOTE: THE DVD-A ISO downloads are 48/24 only. 96/24 for the FLACs only)

Back