2016 Surround Release Predictions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Neil. I just bought both these. (NOTE: THE DVD-A ISO downloads are 48/24 only. 96/24 for the FLACs only)

You're most welcome! :)

...good point about the DVD .iso files being 48/24, I'll add this to the individual threads on the releases, too. Though being lossless it's unlikely to make any discernible difference to audio quality.

Have you heard Max Read's surround mixes of the last two albums from "The Enid"?

https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/24-96-hd-5-1-surround.html

They're both jaw droppingly good and, honestly, I'm not saying that just because I play tested them. They're immense in how discrete and aggressive the surround mix is and also in dynamic range. I'm really looking forward to more from Max and hope he does "In The Region of the Summer Stars" at some point. Mind you, I would also like to hear "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "Aerie Fairy Nonsense" in surround. :)
I bought their first offering but had some difficulty getting into the music :) Will try some time later though as I want to give it a fair chance.

I bought their first offering but had some difficulty getting into the music :) Will try some time later though as I want to give it a fair chance.

Yeah, like many things that are somewhat unique their music can be quite challenging initially. This was always the case when they were just an orchestral/electric hybrid but they've stretched that even further by adding the huge vocal/choral elements into the music. Even some existing fans are finding the change a challenge.

My personal view is that it's well worth persisting. Those same elements that make it challenging i.e. the orchestration, the soaring near operatic lead vocal and huge choral backing vocals also make for an immense and powerful surround mix. The same is true of, say, The Burning Lips or Tomita, though to be honest I much refer the music of The Enid to either of those. :)

...btw in my opinion the "gateway" tracks on each album (i.e. those that are most immediately accessible) are "Dark Corner of the Sky" on "The Bridge" and "Someone Shall Rise" on "Dust." :)

Last edited:
Those same elements that make it challenging i.e. the orchestration, the soaring near operatic lead vocal and huge choral backing vocals also make for an immense and powerful surround mix. The same is true of, say, The Burning Lips or Tomita, though to be honest I much refer the music of The Enid to either of those. :)

I assume you meant The Flaming Lips... Or is there a new band in town?

Last night on MTV there was a show on titled Sound City about the recording studio in California evidently there's a Blu-ray for sale that's only $10 my picture was breaking up pretty bad because I have satellite and it was storming so I couldn't watch it all but it seemed an interesting one part I watched was the Inception of Fleetwood Mac and Nick Mick Fleetwood was discussing how the band was formed at that studio maybe worth checking out I don't know

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Last night on MTV there was a show on titled Sound City about the recording studio in California evidently there's a Blu-ray for sale that's only $10 my picture was breaking up pretty bad because I have satellite and it was storming so I couldn't watch it all but it seemed an interesting one part I watched was the Inception of Fleetwood Mac and Nick Mick Fleetwood was discussing how the band was formed at that studio maybe worth checking out I don't know

Sound City is excellent...I've watched it several times..and speaking of MTV Live(used to be called the Palladia Channel)...there are some good programs on today....check out my post on the All About Music Thread here

The first part of it (the 'documentary' part) is amazing. What I always take issue with is the second part, which is basically nothing more than a gigantic promo film for the soundtrack album, which essentially gave Dave Grohl an excuse to show off playing with some of his favorite musicians. I like Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters a lot, but sometimes Dave Grohl is too overexposed for his own good, and when he schleps around with all of these different musicians, it comes off as incredibly pretentious and self-indulgent IMHO.
Anyway that's probably a longer response than you wanted but there it is! ;)

If I have learned anything in the past few years since coming to QQ is don't spend a dime before asking you guys it was worth it

The first part of it (the 'documentary' part) is amazing. What I always take issue with is the second part, which is basically nothing more than a gigantic promo film for the soundtrack album, which essentially gave Dave Grohl an excuse to show off playing with some of his favorite musicians. I like Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters a lot, but sometimes Dave Grohl is too overexposed for his own good, and when he schleps around with all of these different musicians, it comes off as incredibly pretentious and self-indulgent IMHO.

I really liked Grohl in this piece...and I can relate to the actual Sound City into another way...when I was younger I was a bowling fanatic..at the age of 13 I was bowling in a men's league and when I got my drivers license I would travel to old bowling alleys...sometimes just to see them...they were like "shrines" to the bowling addict....they were dark and dingy inside and not the cleanest places..BUT..some of them had hosted the games best bowlers...the legendary one's...the professionals that I had dreamed about meeting..sacred ground for me....much like Sound City...not a showpiece of a building..but some of the "greats" have recorded there...I too loved the documentary...

Also coming but no official dates yet,

JETHRO TULL-STAND UP CD/DVD BOOK
STEVE HACKETT- VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE CD/DVD
ROGER WATERS -2016 SOLO PROJECT
XTC-SKYLARKING
YES-TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

-we should see these, hopefully by Xmas alongside Fleetwood Mac-Mirage, box set, and Roxy Music....finally!!!(y)

Also coming but no official dates yet,

ROGER WATERS -2016 SOLO PROJECT

Waters seems to say that he's working on a "project" every few years. It rarely results in anything truly new. Other than Waters verbal musings, is there anything concrete that is known about a new solo project in the works? If we are talking about a release this year, a good portion of it should already be in the can.

The doc is available on BD~V cheaply if anyone is interested http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sound-City-Blu-ray/65341/#Review

Also available: Grohl's VERY highly rated HBO series SONIC HIGHWAYS http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Foo-Fighters-Sonic-Highways-Blu-ray/125224/ consisting of 3 BD~Vs

Back