Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dancing bananas please! Where is Snood? If I am dreaming now, please don't wake me...

will start out with :yikes

Then :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

and another :yikes

Snood has spoken :mad:@::banana:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd pre ordered!!! - Amazon - figure it will come down and so easy to replace if a problem.

This is BIG news......it really is. Wilson and Rush...what more have we been asking for? Cheaper price? lalalalalalalalala...I didn't hear you....

I just read the comments in SW's Facebook page and everybody is complaining, too expensive and they want a stand alone Blu ray in 5.1.

We as consumers have kind of set the price range for these sets of multiple format releases, blame only our demand.
Steven has helped us with his vision to fill our cabinets with numerous titles that we might not have seen. Depending on the artists requirements, the engineering, production and manufacturing costs drives pricing.
I think that for the labels its win/win for 40 yr old titles to make it back to market, and possibly tap into aging baby boomers children's musical tastes. Packaging vinyl in the set satisfies one segment along with CD's, booklets and blu-ray for others. Whatever their defined sales goals are will dictate a just Hi-Rez Blu-Ray release, they know that audiophile's want the option of a stand alone blu-ray whenever possible.
And we've shown we'll buy a big box set just to get the Blu-Ray disc.:mad:@::p:lookaround
Edit: I've done it with, Tull, the Beatles, Soundgarden etc.
Edit 2: I'm passing on this set though. Can't justify it, seen them once live. (Not a fan)

Last edited:
Alex Lifeson played on Fear of a Blank Planet, so there's some connection. I was hoping this set included the previous 5.1 mix so I could save my money, but now I'm probably going to go for it.
Same. I was gonna go for the 3-CD version and be done with it. Welp...

I don't see a standalone blu ray...AT THIS POINT....maybe down the road..
I wouldn't count on it, but Universal does have a history of breaking things out of box sets eventually... Case in point: the Blu-rays from the Sectors boxes (originally DVD-As).

I could be wrong but I certainly don’t think we have any chance of a single Blu-Ray release. It seems like Universal jumped off that train after the release of “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” last year.
However I like the idea of seeing if Rush’s online store can put together a 3CD/Blu-Ray bundle (without the vinyl and other things)
I would definitely buy that kind of configuration in a heartbeat!
Ditto.

Any info on #4 the Deluxe Digital Edition?
At a guess, it will only be available from lossy download retailers and streaming services (iTunes, Spotify, etc.). It might also be available from lossless outlets (7digital, Tidal, etc.), but probably not in hi-res and definitely not including the surround (although possibly the SW stereo mixes). My money says it will only contain what's on the three CDs.

And to clarify....complaining here is OK I guess. Going to Wilson's FB page is NOT. Big difference...

I totally disagree. This is the internet, nobody knows anybody, you put info out and it goes the way it goes. Sure nobody wants to slight SW, but when Rush put out Facebook and SW does with a over the top priced box set they know in advance they are subject to criticism. I think it is ludicrous to think that if people complain about big box sets that those involved won't do it anymore. In 2015 when Rush had a release plan for the certain amount of discs that was very respectful of the public.
I would bet, that the very few QQ posters are no match for Facebook and rabid Rush fans. Breaking the set up from a sales point of view gets all things sold with out strongarming the public. I am not so comitted to 5.1 music products that I will pay anything. I mean how many people beside me bought the $150.00 Soundgarden Bad Motorfinger ? That was discs only, no LP's.
To be clear , I am not debating the fee of this Rush box set. I am debating the fact that we should or should not complain, I believe we should be able to do both. God only knows that there will be a few who will say " I don't think SW did a good job, as high on a mountain as he is, he still gets occasional internet forum based complaints.
Love you Gos, not personal.

I totally disagree. This is the internet, nobody knows anybody, you put info out and it goes the way it goes. Sure nobody wants to slight SW, but when Rush put out Facebook and SW does with a over the top priced box set they know in advance they are subject to criticism. I think it is ludicrous to think that if people complain about big box sets that those involved won't do it anymore. In 2015 when Rush had a release plan for the certain amount of discs that was very respectful of the public.
I would bet, that the very few QQ posters are no match for Facebook and rabid Rush fans. Breaking the set up from a sales point of view gets all things sold with out strongarming the public. I am not so comitted to 5.1 music products that I will pay anything. I mean how many people beside me bought the $150.00 Soundgarden Bad Motorfinger ? That was discs only, no LP's.
To be clear , I am not debating the fee of this Rush box set. I am debating the fact that we should or should not complain, I believe we should be able to do both. God only knows that there will be a few who will say " I don't think SW did a good job, as high on a mountain as he is, he still gets occasional internet forum based complaints.
Love you Gos, not personal.

No worries my man. We can disagree. All good. :)

There is one thing that I didn't like about the facebook statement...Wilson stated that he was given "feedback" and final approval from Alex Lifeson...I hope that isn't code for "micromanagement"...it is disturbing given the fact that most of the Rush catalog sounds poor and it must have received this same type of "feedback" for those failed releases...let's hope that Steven is not restricted...

Steven Wilson will do what he does, but if the artist is involved in the remixing process (and most of the time at least one person is) he will defer to them if they ask for any changes (big or small) to the mix before it is finished and released.
After all, when he is remixing albums, he is working for the artist and/or label. He does not have the complete free reign that he does when working on his own music, but then again, there haven't been too many times where a remix of his has been released that he was not completely satisfied with on his own terms.

:)

Oh my God, oh my God, Oh... My... GOD!!! :yikes :worthy I am absolutely dumbfounded, flabbergasted, gobsmacked even. Wow, wow, wowwie!!! :banana:

I just can't believe this is actually happening. My favorite three bands of all time are probably Rush, King Crimson, and Frank Zappa. My absolute greatest dream come true, pie in the sky surround fantasies are Steven Wilson remixing Frank Zappa's 'Joe's Garage' and anything from Rush from 'A Farewell to Kings' up through 'Moving Pictures'. Honestly, I really love every album released by Rush, but for me their absolute zenith was Kings through Moving Pictures, although I would love to have all of them remixed by Steven Wilson, especially everything from Fly By Night up through at least Grace Under Pressure, or Power Windows, or Hold Your Fire, or etc., etc. :D

I would really prefer that they release a blu-ray only, or a 3CD/1BD set, but I am too excited about this to be too upset if there's only the boxed set option. I am not extremely wealthy, and that is putting it very mildly, but this is just too huge to me to pass up. I still can't believe this is actually happening!
Steven Wilson's amazing surround mixing skills combined with Rush's amazing music = A match made in heaven! :cool:

Put me in the column of "My ancient vinyl is in storage elsewhere now, and I doubt I'll play it again, but I may sell it -- therefore, I don't need any more, give me the standalone blu ray 5.1 please, or else I'm not interested."

I have spoken now for me, but I won't complain because there are others who probably feel otherwise. I do enjoy my 5.1 comic 2112 :banana:

But wait! That's not all! Yes, you also get a special 12-inch turntable mat featuring distinctive artwork by Hugh Syme!

rush.JPG

It looks like it says "AG REGUM VALE" What the hell does that mean? :confused:

This has been one heck of a day!

First of all, I never would have imagined that "A Farewell to Kings" would be the subject of such a huge reissue.
Then I was not expecting it to include any kind of surround sound content (cause the recent "2112" reissue did not)
Then I thought it would be the same Blu-Ray as the one released in 2015, and yet we have a new 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson!

I'm still surprised. It's not unusual for an album to get a new surround mix when one is already out there, but I think it IS very unusual for it to happen this soon.
It's too bad this didn't happen sooner. I can't say I wish that the other surround mix did not happen because I did listen to it a good bit over the last 6 years, but still, even though this new one is a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, it's still difficult to swallow spending that much money since I don't have a vinyl player and since I already purchased the Sector 2 box (with DVDA-V) and the Blu-Ray in 2015.
Still I have to find a way to afford this if only because I hope this will lead to Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes of "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves" (assuming they can actually find all of the multitrack tapes for those albums)

Finally, it's incredible to me that after December 1st, we will have two 5.1 mixes of "A Farewell to Kings" to listen to, and yet, I still can't get my 5.1 mixes of "Roxy Music" and "The Seeds of Love", but I digress...

(PS Even after all this today, I still stand by my past statements that we will not get any Steven Wilson remixes of Genesis material.) ;)

My comment on the release announcement post on Rush's Facebook page:

Hey Universal Music, RUSH & Steven Wilson: Any chance of a standalone Blu-ray or, at the very least, a 3 CD/1 Blu-ray edition?

There are many fans out here who have been waiting patiently for a Steven Wilson remix of a classic Rush album, especially in 5.1 surround sound. Unfortunately, many of us do not have the financial resources to shell out $150 for a super deluxe edition just to get it. I'm sure the LPs will be quite nice, but to many of us, they are simply expensive paperweights with lovely album artwork. We would gladly pay something less for just the Blu-ray ($25?), or even the Blu-ray plus the three CDs ($40?), but we cannot afford to spend 3 to 6 times that much for additional content that is, to us, useless. These are potential sales to fans that you are currently passing up. You will find that my voice is one of many here in this thread and elsewhere online.

Please consider this carefully. Thanks!

Back