Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had kind of hoped my Credit Card wouldn't take as much of a bashing in the run-up to Christmas as it has in the last few months (and yes its been 90% music and 90% of that 5.1!), but no the poor beasty is going to carry on getting a kicking, :51banana::party:woopie

I swore blind I wouldn't buy any of the Led Zeppelin Box Sets when they came out as no 5.1 mixes (I failed I have the lot :rolleyes:), then I said I wouldn't buy any Box Sets with 5.1 in them I'd wait for the individual 5.1 discs to be released (I failed I bought them :rolleyes:). So will I buy this Rush release ............YES :banana: :smoking

......in space you can't hear your Credit Card scream!

Great to see this 5.1 mix done by the master SW.
I won't be getting this with bloody vinyl however, if they have another version minus the vinyl with a lower price I'll be in!

The news today about this new SW 5.1 mix is both amazing and cruel at the same time, amazing because this is something we have wanted for many years and cruel because of the price.
I could be wrong but I certainly don’t think we have any chance of a single Blu-Ray release. It seems like Universal jumped off that train after the release of “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” last year.
However I like the idea of seeing if Rush’s online store can put together a 3CD/Blu-Ray bundle (without the vinyl and other things)
I would definitely buy that kind of configuration in a heartbeat!

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying and TO ME it's just confirmation of what most of us know...even if we don't want to admit it....when Universal "jumped off the train" it was another in a long line of attempts to sell these surround standalone discs that wasn't profitable most of the time..in fact this time the record company did the next best thing...instead of using the same surround product they opted to spend more money to get a better version...and the box set is helping with the overall cost...I'm a realist when it comes to our hobby...to get anything in surround these days is a gift...so in my mind it is encouraging to see a new mix by the best active mixer...and it's in the coveted blu ray format...and it's not some obscure band...it's Rush...

What about shipping. Does Bullmoose do free shipping at this price? By comparison, to CA at least, Amazon's current price, with free shipping, comes out to $163.85...

Bull Moose does free shipping on all orders over $30. They only operate in Maine & New Hampshire, so if you don't live in either of those states, you won't get hit with sales tax

What about shipping. Does Bullmoose do free shipping at this price? By comparison, to CA at least, Amazon's current price, with free shipping, comes out to $163.85...

Been a while since I quoted myself... Searching through my email, I found an old order for The Beatles 1+. It was under $50 and had free shipping and no tax to CA...

Moose is a good outlet...have quite a few orders from them...

yes, the moose is loose. I don't think Amazon will match their price.....seldom they do in the last several purchases I've made. So, for me....it will be the moose. I could see someone like ImportCD being $10-15 cheaper than the moose....but then they will add a small charge for shipping....and a decent amount for tax....then it may end up being $5 cheaper than "Forget The Moose" :)

You guys got me all fired up, but so expensive, The Rush site says:
40th Anniversary will be available to fans in four distinct configurations including (1) Super Deluxe Edition, (2) three-CD Deluxe Edition, (3) four-LP Deluxe Edition, and (4) the Deluxe Digital Edition.

Any info on #4 the Deluxe Digital Edition?
Sure would be nice to spend less and get the Blu Ray.

But...since Moose typically charges upon purchase...I need to wait till tomorrow. Which is payday. Around 10AM central, I purchased tickets for REO Speedwagon at my favorite local venue...
Oh yeah....since I'm a member at the Theatre...I get first dibs on ticket sales before the public. So, I got row 4, front and center.....aisle seats.

40th Anniversary will be available to fans in four distinct configurations including (1) Super Deluxe Edition, (2) three-CD Deluxe Edition, (3) four-LP Deluxe Edition, and (4) the Deluxe Digital Edition.

Yeah, just a minute. Lifeson is texting me...I'll ask him. lmao

Unless I'm mistaken, I would assume that this refers to digital services like iTunes. (i.e., non-physical media.)

...and Steven Wilson just posted the following on Facebook:

Earlier this year, I was asked by RUSH to remix their classic 1977 album "A Farewell to Kings" into 5.1 surround sound for its 40th anniversary, and it now appears on Blu-ray as part of a deluxe box set that also includes 3CDs and 4 vinyl LPs to be released on 1st December. The remix was done with feedback and final approval from Alex Lifeson. I also made stereo and 5.1 mixes of a 4 minute instrumental sequence found on the original tapes. This is basically a longer alternate version of the electronic music used at the start of Cygnus X-1, so not a new Rush song as such, more a piece of sound design, but hopefully interesting to hear if you're a fan of the album.

Unless I'm mistaken, I would assume that this refers to digital services like iTunes. (i.e., non-physical media.)
Your probably right. I think I will wait and see, I remember ordering 2112 direct from the Rush site, beats sometimes wrong info at Amazon, even though one can cancel super easy.

Oh man....now that we have Wilson on board with Rush....maybe there will be more. I know, I know...more money to spend...but look at the years of release for the most important titles in RUSH history....

That is...for me. :)

A Farewell to Kings (1977)
Hemispheres (1978)
Permanent Waves (1980)
Moving Pictures (1981)

Holy Shit! Can you imagine Wilson at the knobs of Moving Pictures? Whoa....

I have THREE Rush tattoos on my body. For SW mixes, I'd go Super-duper Deluxe for Fly By Night - Signals.
I'd have to think long and hard about other albums. They all have some great songs. They just become a bit uneven and/or kind of poorly recorded or produced after that.

E.g. I LOVE the songs on Power Windows, but the sound is atrocious to me, particularly the drums.

Back