Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have THREE Rush tattoos on my body. For SW mixes, I'd go Super-duper Deluxe for Fly By Night - Signals.
I'd have to think long and hard about other albums. They all have some great songs. They just become a bit uneven and/or kind of poorly recorded or produced after that.

E.g. I LOVE the songs on Power Windows, but the sound is atrocious to me, particularly the drums.

2112 would be the holy grail...but I thought maybe that ship has passed...in terms of anniversaries.

2112 would be the holy grail...but I thought maybe that ship has passed...in terms of anniversaries.

The 2112 mix on the Deluxe BD, with the comic book slides is decent. There are a few moments I could niggle about, but it's clear and powerful.
And I love the comic book slides. I would miss that, if listening to another mix.

And...when you think about what has transpired.....why now? Don't misunderstand my comment. But, we've had other attempts at Rush in 5.1 and they were luke warm at best. There were opportunities for 40th anniversaries of those that Wilson could have done....

So...what changed? And if something truly has changed......what would stop Wilson and Rush from working together on 40th for the ones I listed?
Hemispheres through Moving Pictures???

The 2112 mix on the Deluxe BD, with the comic book slides is decent. There are a few moments I could niggle about, but it's clear and powerful.
And I love the comic book slides. I would miss that, if listening to another mix.
So far the 2112 comic book edition is my favorite out of all the Rush Blu Rays, plays super loud and discrete.

And if something truly has changed......what would stop Wilson and Rush from working together on 40th for the ones I listed?

I hope so, man. I think he'll stick to Rush albums he personally likes. So, AFtK - MP might be what we get! I would be a VERY happy camper!

Wow what a missed opportunity. Never that I would pay that money for a 5.1 mix :/

Order placed with the Moose. I know the price is sky-high and I'll never play the vinyl, but now I get where you other psychos are coming from when boxes like Layla and Tusk are released...

OK, I was wrong about Moose. They charge when they ship! So, they are like Amazon....OK...I'm ordering tonight.

From FAQ

11. When will you charge my credit card?

We will charge your credit card right before your order ships.

And...when you think about what has transpired.....why now? Don't misunderstand my comment. But, we've had other attempts at Rush in 5.1 and they were luke warm at best. There were opportunities for 40th anniversaries of those that Wilson could have done....

So...what changed? And if something truly has changed......what would stop Wilson and Rush from working together on 40th for the ones I listed?

There is one thing that I didn't like about the facebook statement...Wilson stated that he was given "feedback" and final approval from Alex Lifeson...I hope that isn't code for "micromanagement"...it is disturbing given the fact that most of the Rush catalog sounds poor and it must have received this same type of "feedback" for those failed releases...let's hope that Steven is not restricted...

Funny how we all have slightly different ideas about discreteness... for me, the current 2112 5.1 mix is severely lacking in discrete surround activity (but it DOES sound great loud and the comics ARE cool!)... I REALLY hope 2112 gets an SW remix (I know, I know... we should just be happy with AFTK, but I can't help peeking down the road;)). Oh yeah, Hemispheres and (I really hope) Permanent Waves too! I LOVE when the QQ explodes with the announcement of a major release like this (at least it's major for me, lol)

There is one thing that I didn't like about the facebook statement...Wilson stated that he was given "feedback" and final approval from Alex Lifeson...I hope that isn't code for "micromanagement"...it is disturbing given the fact that most of the Rush catalog sounds poor and it must have received this same type of "feedback" for those failed releases...let's hope that Steven is not restricted...

Duly noted.....but I'm not worried. I'm freaking fired up about this one. And, since Snood is MIA...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I just read the comments in SW's Facebook page and everybody is complaining, too expensive and they want a stand alone Blu ray in 5.1.

I just read the comments in SW's Facebook page and everybody is complaining, too expensive and they want a stand alone Blu ray in 5.1.

I do too...but I'm not going to complain. This is too good to be true. I'm all over it...like white on rice. Or, ugly on an ape.....

This type of complaining can go 2 ways...the "hope" is that somehow this will prompt the record company to provide a stand alone blu ray...but wouldn't it be more effective to actually contact the people at the record company who could make that happen...to me you are killing the messenger...not the originator....Steven is merely an employee.......the possible negative impact is that Steven will be pissed at these responses....in one of his interviews he did mention that fans are getting a lot of material and still complaining...what I call a sense of entitlement....

This type of complaining can go 2 ways...the "hope" is that somehow this will prompt the record company to provide a stand alone blu ray...but wouldn't it be more effective to actually contact the people at the record company who could make that happen...to me you are killing the messenger...not the originator....Steven is merely an employee.......the possible negative impact is that Steven will be pissed at these responses....in one of his interviews he did mention that fans are getting a lot of material and still complaining...what I call a sense of entitlement....

Damn right. That IS the problem. I say, shut up.....if you want to complain....complain to either Rush or the record executives. Certainly not Wilson. :chill

Damn right. That IS the problem. I say, shut up.....if you want to complain....complain to either Rush or the record executives. Certainly not Wilson. :chill

And to clarify....complaining here is OK I guess. Going to Wilson's FB page is NOT. Big difference...

I was just reading as well, again I totally understand that people don't want to have to pay $150 if you only want the bluray, that is alot of cash and these aren't exactly ideal economic times for many people.
I left a message at SW remix facebook to redirect the concern to a more appropriate place as SW should just be THANKED,THANKED,THANKED for this as he has been our surround champion in the past 10 years. Without him I doubt we would even have surround to the degree we are getting, he has made that big a difference and would other's like Bruce Soord and Rob Reed come along as well,maybe yes but maybe not.

I am going to have to wait myself for more down the road on this release but I am EXCITED that this has happened, this is amazing, SW doing Rush, still can't believe I read this today.

peter

Back