INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which supplier, amazon.co.uk? If it is they seem delay anything that hasn't been ordered with Prime over here, I've had 7 day waits, which makes me even more determined not to get Prime!

US amazon does the same thing...if you opt for "free shipping"...you get the infamous "preparing for shipment" for a prolonged period of time and then they ship it...I live in a state(Florida)where they have warehouses...so my latest order from them has been held for a week and it shipped yesterday...and guess when I'm getting it...TODAY...I don't mind waiting...but it is comical...it's so obvious what they are doing...but they are a business and need to make money... and for some people that want things quicker..like Gos...there is prime
or expedited shipping that you are charged...no problem....because they charge me tax now(due to the warehouses in my state)I don't order as much as I previously did...but today's order is FOOD and they can't charge me tax on that..and it's cheaper than any other place I deal with for organic products...at one time I was considering PRIME...but since the tax situation and more places to buy my items(like the Moose and importcds and deepdiscount)it's not a consideration anymore...

Well, Amazon UK delivered this early for a change! Said Monday, delivered Saturday, result. Sounds pretty good, not that I've listened to the original recently, if anything the drums really don't help it age well, but as already stated that was a big 80's 'sound' so it is what it is, I wonder how much is real drums and how much is actually samples...

Well, yes. I'd say, there will most definitely be complaints about the dynamic range of the surround mix as well. The whole disc is rather bright and just LOUD. But I mean, this is a mid/late 80s mainstream production that it is meant to sound huge. And it does. It's taken me a few repeats to get over the overall brashness of the sound and mastering. To be honest, I am not familiar with the album (if knowing only 6 out of 12 songs because they were on heavy MTV rotation counts as not familiar) so I can't compare the new master to the original. In the end it works quite well for me. Keep in mind I am listening on 4 full-sized + 1 medium-sized center speaker - I would love to hear this in Atmos or at least hear the opinion of someone who's listened to this the way it was intended. Maybe the additional speakers allow for a little more breathing space, especially in songs like New Sensation or some of the non-singles. Then again, the Kraftwerk Atmos disc sounds incredible on my setup... I'll stop rambling now :)

Edit. If this post comes across as too negative, it's not meant to be. I think this is a good mix. Think I'll vote an 8.

...but the original CD isn't loud/compressed and has an excellent dr #.

I didn't find the surround mix to be painfully loud or fatiguing but, as others have said, it does originate from the 80s when mixes tended to be bright and more clinical. Still a nice set though.

F Amazon UK - that's all I can say.

They still haven't shipped, so I bitched because I was told on Monday it would ship before end of day, then told the same thing on Tuesday, so I tried cancelling and it let me immediately which means it was not "in the final stages of dispatch" as both agents on Monday and Tuesday told me.

They offered to waive shipping fastest method, so I reordered, but then there was almost 6 pounds of import fee deposit, how can that be when the previous order had only &1.26 on it? So they're charging on the 22 pounds global priority shipping even though they waived the shipping? Getting nowhere with them, and I'm not waiting "60 days" for them to refund the stupid fee which I'll lose out on exchange fund over, so after 30+ mins on customer support with an agent and supervisor I'm having to repeat everything multiple times to before they get my point, I just cancelled the f'n thing again. F Amazon UK. I'll wait until late November and just order from a North American seller.

I will do no more transatlantic business with Amazon UK, my orders go all the way back to a Jarre Concerts in China CD from Jan 2003, so they lost a good international customer.

The website says the import fee deposit is "offered to customers" - erm, if it's mandatory, it's not being offered. Idiots.

5aHCnsh.jpg

SFcD3T8.jpg

M8fkHI8.jpg

Got mine today!!!!!

Price: $32.77 usd total delivered to my door

Fast shipping from Amazon UK to USA (11/3/17 - 11/9/17, six days). My pre-ordered date: October 11, 2017

Getting ready to rock tonight :banana::banana::banana:

… I need you tonight
'Cause I'm not sleeping
There's something about you girl
That makes me sweat…

My wife will be in trouble tonight..... :):):)

:cool:

Regards,

Last edited:
More pictures.

bBThH1t.jpg

RNnprRi.jpg

wSqTea0.jpg

LZD3xxj.jpg

ZnwKQVm.jpg

In one word the quality of the surround sound,

Awesome!!!!!!

We all need more popular quality Blu-ray Audio surround releases like this.

Highly recommended!!!!!

I'm very happy today!!!!! :):):)

Regards,

Last edited:
F Amazon UK - that's all I can say.

They still haven't shipped, so I bitched because I was told on Monday it would ship before end of day, then told the same thing on Tuesday, so I tried cancelling and it let me immediately which means it was not "in the final stages of dispatch" as both agents on Monday and Tuesday told me.

They offered to waive shipping fastest method, so I reordered, but then there was almost 6 pounds of import fee deposit, how can that be when the previous order had only &1.26 on it? So they're charging on the 22 pounds global priority shipping even though they waived the shipping? Getting nowhere with them, and I'm not waiting "60 days" for them to refund the stupid fee which I'll lose out on exchange fund over, so after 30+ mins on customer support with an agent and supervisor I'm having to repeat everything multiple times to before they get my point, I just cancelled the f'n thing again. F Amazon UK. I'll wait until late November and just order from a North American seller.

WTH is an "import fee deposit"?
I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon UK\FR\DE, Burning Shed, Spincds and have never seen that.
Is this something particular to Canada? Seems very odd since you're in the Common Wealth.
My sincere sympathy Doby.

Purchased today and have given the surround mix a few spins. I have a 4.1 setup, so no Atmos for me. Other reviews here are correct, the mastering is quite up front and bright and sounds like there's hi-mid range boosting been done, but I'm also wondering if there's down-sampling issues there being played on a fairly normal system. On the lower end, there's plenty of bass and my sub got a good workout too. For instance it sounds like the kick drum on "Need You Tonight" has been beefed up under the snare so it sounds more '4 on the floor' than the original stereo mix that I've been listening to for 30 years. There are also places that Hutchence's voice is too dominant in the mix for my liking (present in all speakers most of the time it seems), but again that could be a non-Atmos issue. The mix at least uses discrete placement fairly well with percussion and instrument placement, and is definitely more adventurous than Giles's Sgt Pepper mix.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it as I enjoy the 12" mixes on the bonus discs too (I am a child of the 80's after all), and the blu-ray will get plenty of plays in this house.

I ordered today, but It's still pre-order on Amazon.ca. Looking forward to giving this a spin on my new 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. In case anyone is interested my Atmos speakers are PSB-XA up-firing (I did not want to make holes in my ceiling). They work surprisingly well with movies.

IMG_1296.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered today, but It's still pre-order on Amazon.ca. Looking forward to giving this a spin on my new 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. In case anyone is interested my Atmos speakers are PSB-XA up-firing (I did not want to make holes in my ceiling). They work surprisingly well with movies.

That's pretty cool. I have older "acuostic" ceiling, aka a Popcorn ceiling - would that defeat the intended effect of an upwards facing speaker?

FYI I hate the popcorn ceiling. I'd take it down myself, but it's impregnated with asbestos. Safer to just leave it undisturbed.

WTH is an "import fee deposit"?
I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon UK\FR\DE, Burning Shed, Spincds and have never seen that.
Is this something particular to Canada? Seems very odd since you're in the Common Wealth.
My sincere sympathy Doby.

It's this new bogus thing Amazon UK have started doing as of mid-September this year, as my September 1st order of The Verve - Urban Hymns super deluxe didn't have it, but by A-Ha Blu-ray (MTV unplugged) did.

It's supposedly so they handle the duty, then they refund you if it's not used. But the refund takes 60 days, so really it's just an interest cash grab (just like leaving a balance in your PayPal account, YOU should get interest on that money, not them).

Pretty sure they're doing it for anywhere "Global".

Ah well, not long to wait now - will probably check the other site recommended.

View attachment 31108

I may go this route soon to avoid the same thing...just because I have a drop ceiling with insulation all behind it and the tiles are those floppy yellow ones so I'd likely make a mess of it. Some day I'll get proper drywall done professionally and get four holes done.

As the other poster asked, any thing to keep in mind when you get these or is it just as simple as a reflective surface of the ceiling and Bob's yer uncle?

That's pretty cool. I have older "acuostic" ceiling, aka a Popcorn ceiling - would that defeat the intended effect of an upwards facing speaker?

FYI I hate the popcorn ceiling. I'd take it down myself, but it's impregnated with asbestos. Safer to just leave it undisturbed.

I have popcorn ceilings as well. Like you, hate them, worst idea in home building ever. But from audio perspective it does not seem to impact Dolby Atmos in an up-firing speaker scenario. I'm still hearing the height effect. But I have nothing to compare to...

P.S. how do you know your popcorn ceiling contains asbestos? That's kinda worrysome, I mean must be breathing that stuff in? EPA banned it late 70s. Up here in Canada they banned asbestos around same time (late 70s) even though Canada was a major supplier. There are still building materials stockpiled that contain it. My house was built in late 90s but I wonder if mine has asbestos...?

All in all, I'm glad I bought it as I enjoy the 12" mixes on the bonus discs too (I am a child of the 80's after all), and the blu-ray will get plenty of plays in this house.

Yeah, some great 12" mixes there. My favourite is the Julian Mendelsohn I Need You Tonight 12" on CD2. Makes me wish they'd made a bunch of extended mixes in surround where they'd just go wild with the percussion elements, like on that remix.

I may go this route soon to avoid the same thing...just because I have a drop ceiling with insulation all behind it and the tiles are those floppy yellow ones so I'd likely make a mess of it. Some day I'll get proper drywall done professionally and get four holes done.

As the other poster asked, any thing to keep in mind when you get these or is it just as simple as a reflective surface of the ceiling and Bob's yer uncle?

No issues. Assuming your receiver supports dolby atmos, you should be able to adjust the height of the atmos speakers, I have 9 ft ceiling so that's what I selected. Apparently the ideal setup is 5.1.4 with height speakers at front and back. But my receiver only supports 5.1.2. By the way, I'm not suggesting you purchase the PSB-XA either (I already had PSB in my 5.1 setup so it made sense to me). But Elac + other vendors makes reasonably priced up firing speakers:

https://www.elac.com/product/debut-a4/

I have popcorn ceilings as well. Like you, hate them, worst idea in home building ever. But from audio perspective it does not seem to impact Dolby Atmos in an up-firing speaker scenario. I'm still hearing the height effect. But I have nothing to compare to...

P.S. how do you know your popcorn ceiling contains asbestos? That's kinda worrysome, I mean must be breathing that stuff in? EPA banned it late 70s. Up here in Canada they banned asbestos around same time (late 70s) even though Canada was a major supplier. There are still building materials stockpiled that contain it. My house was built in late 90s but I wonder if mine has asbestos...?

I had it tested. A contractor sprayed a little water on a small patch and collected it.

It's perfect safe undisturbed. Mine is covered under several layers of paint. The real danger is during installation and removal.

We had asbestos wrapped ducts also from the 1970s. When we replaced the lousy 65% efficient 1970s furnace with a much more efficient 2011 model, the ducts needed to come out. It was not a staggering expense compared to the cost of the furnace itself. Companies have got this down to a routine practice.

Back