INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it tested. A contractor sprayed a little water on a small patch and collected it.

It's perfect safe undisturbed. Mine is covered under several layers of paint. The real danger is during installation and removal.

We had asbestos wrapped ducts also from the 1970s. When we replaced the lousy 65% efficient 1970s furnace with a much more efficient 2011 model, the ducts needed to come out. It was not a staggering expense compared to the cost of the furnace itself. Companies have got this down to a routine practice.
The layers of ceiling paint will have more potential effect than the popcorn ;)
Going wildly OT. Try to make it short.
Dr. very smart to have ceiling tested. Home asbesto threat overblown.
Asbesto is encapsulated in paint. Excellent.
Easiest, effective way to take care of popcorn ceilings barring removal.
Hang a layer of 1/4" drywall over it. My contractor spec'd high density drywall.
You won't notice the height diff.
I live in Wa. State, he told me this method passes all EPA regs.
FWIW

I’m listening to the Dolby Atmos mix now and it’s very good. Sound is just okay. Not currently using the OPPO UDP-205 because it’s hooked up to my two-channel system. So, I’m using a Sony player that I just had to run out and purchase yesterday for a great price. It may be going back since I only discovered no Dolby Vision pass through. :yikes

My tv is displaying Dolby Atmos and PCM Stereo but on the packaging it states Hi-Resolution Audio. Well, it’s not Hi-Res because it’s at 16 Bit / 48 kHz. I hear that this was originally a digital recording and 16/48 is what Kick was recorded at. Not sure what the Dolby Atmos bit depth is at but the sampling is 48 kHz.

This is really a good album that I’ve only just discovered in the past few years and with the surround mix, I’m hearing sounds I’ve never heard before. I stopped purchasing Inxs music after Listen Like Thieves. Such a pity but I’m making up for that mistake now. :)

It’s a good thing this package is (relatively) inexpensive, cause if it was a higher priced box set, I might be tempted to pass on this release.
I’ve grown to like a lot of music from the 1980s but this album might be a little too ‘poppy’ for my tastes, especially when compared to the dark & brooding “Automatic for the People” (the other Atmos release this year).

Still, I hope both of these releases sell well so more like them may come in the future. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a good thing this package is (relatively) inexpensive, cause if it was a higher priced box set, I might be tempted to pass on this release.
I’ve grown to like a lot of music from the 1980s but this album might be a little too ‘poppy’ for my tastes, especially when compared to the dark & brooding “Automatic for the People” (the other Atmos release this year).

Still, I hope both of these releases sell well so more like them may come in the future. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure Atmos is going to gain traction in the marketplace...BUT...anything that results in more surround titles is a good thing:)

I'm out of the surround music game, but the dynamic range numbers over at the Dynamic Range Database are disappointing.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr?artist=inxs&album=kick

Via Twitter, I just asked Giles and Andrew what happened to the dynamic range.

That's disappointing... what's the point in squashing a recording that's released on Blu-ray? It's not like people are going to be listening with ear buds... Blu-rays are for the hi-fi crowd only!

That's disappointing... what's the point in squashing a recording that's released on Blu-ray? It's not like people are going to be listening with ear buds... Blu-rays are for the hi-fi crowd only!

They know that only fans are buying this and that they already own the CD which isn't squashed. Now we have two different versions, squashed and unsquashed. ...just kidding. It is completely ridiculous. Someone deserves to be smacked, not to injure, just a backhanded one to knock some sense into them.

That's why I cancelled my order...I feared it might be bright and early indications are that it is...some people won't mind...but that's one thing that bothers me more than others...I'm very sensitive to that type of sound...a good mix can sometimes mask the compression...but for me that's usually not a remedy I can live with...

That's why I cancelled my order...I feared it might be bright and early indications are that it is...some people won't mind...but that's one thing that bothers me more than others...I'm very sensitive to that type of sound...a good mix can sometimes mask the compression...but for me that's usually not a remedy I can live with...

Me three. Genesis' ...And Then There Were Three... SACD makes me wince which is a bummer cos Deep in the Motherlode is such a cool tune. Still, JB Hifi should start stocking this soon. Aussie band, Aussie company, I'm just across the ditch. Hoping I can pick it up cheap.

Mine just arrived early. DR 13. What a great mix! Its way more like a seventies quad mix (except 8 channels). There's lots of panning and stuff everywhere. :banana:

Can't wait to whack this on my 7.1 system later today. So far just ripped it, converted to FLAC and tagged. Only sampled two or three tracks on my PC's 5.1 crappy speakers...

Mine just arrived early. DR 13. What a great mix! Its way more like a seventies quad mix (except 8 channels). There's lots of panning and stuff everywhere. :banana:

Can't wait to whack this on my 7.1 system later today. So far just ripped it, converted to FLAC and tagged. Only sampled two or three tracks on my PC's 5.1 crappy speakers...

Great to hear - thanks for posting, HomerJAU. I never thought I'd purchase an INXS album (didn't need to in the 80's and 90's - just switch on the radio/TV and there they were... ugh) but there's nothing like a surround release to make me part with some cash.

If you're in Aussie/NZ, the price looks to be ~$60 when it's finally available. JB Hifi's Aussie website is awaiting stock (10-15 days away). I just called JB Hifi in NZ and their computer says 24 Nov for the release.

I'm not sure Atmos is going to gain traction in the marketplace...BUT...anything that results in more surround titles is a good thing:)

I think it will, slowly but surely just by the way they’ve been promoting all it can do. Not too long ago, I read an article on how they are showing DJ’s in clubs the potential of their mixes in Atmos and it’s catching on. Have faith, my friend. We all need to stay positive on this one. (y)

Back