Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peterzach,
I haven't had an opportunity to fully dissect this but I concur, I like it very much. But I'm prejudiced, because I LOVE this album. I can imagine Steven Wilson completely stoked mixing this. Man, he must have had a blast! It's an active mix, but not annoyingly so. (imho)

I wish there had been more bonus tracks mixed in surround. And the fact at this price point it's not DVD-A or Blu-ray is unconscionable. Feeling lucky that I pre-ordered it from Amazon before the price jump and they honored it.

Yeah, 6 years haha! At that rate we should see Stranded in 2030.

Going to take a break and prepare supper, then give it another spin.

Brian

I was SHOCKED when I got home yesterday to have a note on the door that I missed out on a delivery and it was for the Roxy boxset and I owe 25.38 for duties/taxes so now i have to figure out where i can pick it up from.
So my $70 US importcds is going to cost me $115 Canadian by time I actually get this in my hands.

Has anyone else ever had DHL deliver a importcds order as this means this got from Kentucky USA to my door in less than 24 hours, I have had downloads take longer than that to get me.
Usually my importcds orders take between 2-4 weeks to arrive, so why did they ship it express or are they hoping I decline and they get it back.
Waited far to long for this surround, it will be the most I have payed for what I really only want is the 5.1.

peter

It is my experience that if an International company uses DHL, and it is an express delivery, I get dinged for a processing fee plus HST on top of what I payed for the product.

I was shocked to see that my Fleetwood Mac boxed set that was sent by Amazon UK was sent via DHL. Feared for the worst. But when it arrived, I just had to sign for it through Canada Post.

Peterzach,
I haven't had an opportunity to fully dissect this but I concur, I like it very much. But I'm prejudiced, because I LOVE this album. I can imagine Steven Wilson completely stoked mixing this. Man, he must have had a blast! It's an active mix, but not annoyingly so. (imho)

I wish there had been more bonus tracks mixed in surround. And the fact at this price point it's not DVD-A or Blu-ray is unconscionable. Feeling lucky that I pre-ordered it from Amazon before the price jump and they honored it.

Yeah, 6 years haha! At that rate we should see Stranded in 2030.

Going to take a break and prepare supper, then give it another spin.

Brian

Brian, agree with you that if even more songs in surround and totally lossless would have made this release even better but what we get with this mix is stellar. I really like much of Roxy's albums but this album always felt a bit off to me as I thought they were maybe trying to hard to be clever with a mix of different ideas going on even in the same song. I have now listened to this 3 times and I now LOVE this album because of the 5.1 mix, now I always liked the very tasteful but quirky blips and beeps by Eno and wasn't sure about the yelps and crooning by Ferry but its all good now and the interesting guitar flourishes by Manzanera I thought always sounded cool and I said already I really like Mackay's sax and oboe playing.
I find the drumming also has a good crunch in places and bass playing sounds good, sorry being lazy here don't remember the rhythm guys names.

I hope it isn't just because I'm super tired from different things going on for me right now between work and family but I am overjoyed by this album and it has been the right remedy to a hectic week.

Brian, yes definitely give it another spin......

First off, my set arrived today, and I'm still shocked that amazon.com honored my original pre-order price of $89.99
Maybe I should have originally ordered two sets at that price and kept the second for insurance... :ugham:

Next, I need to say that for the price I paid for it, the set is absolutely worth every single penny spent!
The book is one of the best books ever put together for an anniversary album reissue, right up there with the likes of the King Crimson, Alan Parsons Project, and the "Sgt Pepper's" box sets.
One can really tell the amount of time and care that went into the making of this box set, and I'm more than pleased with the results.

I'm almost finished listening to the full 5.1 surround mix, and I already know that this is definitely getting a '9' vote from me. (It would be a '10' if they went with either DVDA-V or Blu-Ray as the format.) This 5.1 surround mix is right up there with Steven Wilson's best 5.1 surround mixes, and there's hardly anything I would have done differently myself.

I will go into more detail about the 5.1 surround mix when I can in the poll thread, but let me just say that if any of you can ever find this set for less than $100, get it! It's one of the best sets ever put together, and I cannot recommend it enough! :)

PS Is it ok to now start the countdown for the "For Your Pleasure" 50th anniversary box set in 2023?! :ugham:

Ryan well said. I have spent all my time on the 5.1 so far, hoping to check out the book and the cd's this weekend but even just quickly paging through the book, agree, it looks like they did a really good job with this.

PS Is it ok to now start the countdown for the "For Your Pleasure" 50th anniversary box set in 2023?! :ugham:

Okay, but again....guys...if you're going to do dvd-v only.....look to the Tull (content, format, price)...the Tull have done best...may the Tull be with you.

Now we’re getting closer to what it’s actually worth, thanks for the tip!

RED ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

amazon.com are now listing the box set with a price of $80.55. Move in and place your orders now!

:)

https://www.amazon.com/Roxy-Music-DVD-Super-Deluxe/dp/B077Y965S9/

WOW..!!! :yikes

Many thanks Ryan!! :upthumb
(ordered! :eek: )

even with international shipping and import duty it "only" comes to £77.00,
whereas Amazon UK have it for £129.99..!! its still more than i would like and can really afford/justify but after all these years waiting to hear it i can't wait any bloody longer! ;) :D

OK, a completely serious question. With all the drama with the price since the day the damn thing went up for pre-order....why all of a sudden is Amazon US (of all places) listing it for US $80???

OK, a completely serious question. With all the drama with the price since the day the damn thing went up for pre-order....why all of a sudden is Amazon US (of all places) listing it for US $80???

This continues to be the strangest release I've ever seen..after thinking they could sell this set at an inflated price...reality hit them when they saw orders cancelled and orders shifting to other outlets(the amazon "shuffle"...from amazon UK to Canada..from amazon US to Canada)...one of the decision makers decided that enough was enough and reversed their stance on the price..

That $80 amazon price makes me now feel confident that my $66 order from importcds(which is tracking for a delivery next week)is valid

I hope amazon.ca did add import duty, its on its way to me, if they didn't I'll get stung :mad:

WOW..!!! :yikes

Many thanks Ryan!! :upthumb
(ordered! :eek: )

even with international shipping and import duty it "only" comes to £77.00,
whereas Amazon UK have it for £129.99..!! its still more than i would like and can really afford/justify but after all these years waiting to hear it i can't wait any bloody longer! ;) :D

I checked Bullmoose and they don't have any in stock...and importcds price is still high...so if there was any across the board price reduction...it hasn't reached these outlets yet..unless this is just an "amazon" thing..

Check out what Paul Sinclair has to say HERE

These wild price fluctuations are crazy. My Amazon Canada order still showed as "preparing for shipment" so I was able to cancel (got confirmation) and I've placed the order with Amazon.com now - saved +/- $20.

Really looking forward to hearing it as these early reports are very encouraging!

placed my order an hour ago and it says preparing for shipment already. lol! I'm guessing the Amazon warehouse in Kentucky must have excess of these and they're trying to move them out....says Monday delivery. :confused:

Ok, WTF?!
The price jumped back up to $159.99

This is so confusing.
Hope all of you that wanted it at the $80 price got your order in while you could...

:confused:

Back