Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mixed feelings on this. From an artist perspective, I think effort should be made to purchase from the source closest to the artist. Bandcamp, Burning Shed, Headphone dust, Ape, etc. The little guys need your money more than Amazon. On the other hand, I think the price (whatever price) of this release is ridiculous - and any release like this should be boycotted so that labels stop trying to sell expensive box sets. :banana::smokin

Like Gos..I too support the little guy...like bullmoose...when the price is close...in theory...your idea of a boycott sounds great...but in this case it doesn't work...we(hi rez lovers and especially surround lovers)have no leverage...we are such a tiny segment of the market place...hi rez is small...and surround is smaller yet...so not buying these products when they are offered...hurts our case..it doesn't help it...that's why we buy these sets with things we don't want......if not...we can't get the one product we want...the surround disc...and the additional problem is with physical media itself...as much as I love it and haven't adopted the download lifestyle...physical media is on it's last legs..so that little leverage we had before...is evaporating...when record companies see sluggish sales they usually attribute it to low interest..so the cards are stacked against us on several fronts...we are ultra small in number in a dying format...not exactly the formula for leverage:(

Like Gos..I too support the little guy...like bullmoose...when the price is close...in theory...your idea of a boycott sounds great...but in this case it doesn't work...we(hi rez lovers and especially surround lovers)have no leverage...we are such a tiny segment of the market place...hi rez is small...and surround is smaller yet...so not buying these products when they are offered...hurts our case..it doesn't help it...that's why we buy these sets with things we don't want......if not...we can't get the one product we want...the surround disc...and the additional problem is with physical media itself...as much as I love it and haven't adopted the download lifestyle...physical media is on it's last legs..so that little leverage we had before...is evaporating...when record companies see sluggish sales they usually attribute it to low interest..so the cards are stacked against us on several fronts...we are ultra small in number in a dying format...not exactly the formula for leverage:(

But you're missing the point Clint: If, like meek little sheep, we buy at what ever price point these companies hurl at us, we're also sending out a message that we're SO desperate for 5.1 content we're willing to pay whatever the price. :yikes

Especially considering that the upcoming TULL Heavy Horses SW 5.1 remix containing 3 RBCDs and 2 DVDs can be had for under $40!

What's wrong with this picture: PLENTY!

RED ALERT! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

amazon.com are now listing the box set with a price of $80.55. Move in and place your orders now!

:)/Roxy-Music-DVD-Super-Deluxe/dp/B077Y965S9/[/url]

Thanks for this post.....i also managed to cancel my order in amazon.uk......and ordered it for the 80 bucks to Mexico City.....still expensive but everyrhing we can save is good.:banana::banana:

Well, ****.

Excuse my English.

I had ordered this very early (Dec.) from both ImportCds and Amazon.com. Neither place will confirm a shipment to me, even a day after release. ImportCD cancelled my original order of 63 dollars and took 130 from me instead. Fine. But no sign of delivery!!!

This sucks. I guess I'll pressure Amazon.com, as they "guarantee" my pre-order price (89 dollars).

Last edited:
But you're missing the point Clint: If, like meek little sheep, we buy at what ever price point these companies hurl at us, we're also sending out a message that we're SO desperate for 5.1 content we're willing to pay whatever the price. :yikes

Ralphie..we all understand your point...but with no leverage it's meaningless...and to be candid...I AM desperate...my time on this planet is running out..

Ralphie..we all understand your point...but with no leverage it's meaningless...and to be candid...I AM desperate...my time on this planet is running out..

We ALL have leverage, Clint. I, for one, am not buying this set [which, BTW, is NOW $160 + tax @ AmazonUS) and will seek out other alternatives and support OTHER artists who aren't so greedy. ALL our time is running out, Clint, but IMO desperate people do do desperate things!

Communication with Amazon:

Jay: Hal, this item is shipping soon. Please do not worry because I will be creating a personal follow up to this one and once the item already entered the shipping process and already at the carriers hand, I will be contacting the carrier to deliver your package right away as I know you have pre ordered this item last year Thursday, December 14, 2017 7:24 PM (PST).
Me: Great! Thanks! Many people are nervous because of the many price changes. You guaranteed me that 100 dollar etc. so I trust you -- if it ships!
I'll pay extra for fast shipping btw.
Jay: Absolutely Hal, this is a guaranteed assurance.
Me: Thanks, Jay!
Jay: That is a great idea that you have Hal.
You are very much welcome my dear customer. I can see that you really love music.

(I ordered this at 89 dollars with the shipping / tax making it a 100.93 or close)

[edited post-script: was officially shipped a few hours later! If you want to change things, as discussed above, direct communication is the way to go :D ]

Last edited:
Paul Sinclair of superdeluxeeditions trying to justify the price, but failing, http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...snt-a-music-box-set-considered-a-luxury-item/

He has to pretend that the price is worth it, other wise his whole website and income goes down the drain. You cannot keep people interested in your website when there are no deal alerts and stuff.

And paying £65 for a tshirt of £200 for a concert ticket for artists that will say I am not worthy? You crazy? You may have guessed, I am not going to concerts of U2 or Roger Waters anymore. Oh , and I do pay my taxes in my country. Beat that, globalists.

Well I hate myself for doing it and ordering a box at an over inflated price but at least mine came from the least stingy member of the band step forward Mr Manzanera. Maybe because he did not play on all the tracks in the box :)
Bloody glad I did though the 5.1 mix is fantastic, a very open mix by Steven and the music is all the better for all the extra room.
Am I happy paying £25 a disc NO, am I glad I did yes indeed, listening on with delight.

Suppose at some point I will listen to the CDs in the set

:) The day after contacting AmazonUS about where my shipment was, and got it shipped in a few hours, they actually sent me a refund of 10 bucks :yikes

The lowest it went before the price surge was 80.55, so they gave me that price!

I'll have to do more chats with Amazon refs from hereon :upthumb

:) The day after contacting AmazonUS about where my shipment was, and got it shipped in a few hours, they actually sent me a refund of 10 bucks :yikes

The lowest it went before the price surge was 80.55, so they gave me that price!

I'll have to do more chats with Amazon refs from hereon :upthumb

There are things I don't like about amazon...and sometimes I question their business decisions...but the times I have had problems with a specific item...they have always resolved the problem..now when I call.. I don't scream and berate the other person on the phone..if I sense that person can't get the situation remedied...I politely ask for a manager...and it usually is about a service related problem...not money...and the other area where I feel comfortable dealing with amazon...is if I make a major purchase...like a tv...if something is wrong...I know I can return it without any problems...I just don't use amazon much for hi rez music anymore...because they usually aren't competitive..

Glad you got your situation taken care of:)

From a Billboard interview with Phil Manzanera:
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8098492/roxy-music-virginia-plain-video-deluxe
Though fans might hope otherwise, the just-released deluxe editions of Roxy Music's 1972 self-titled debut album are not necessarily a harbinger for the rest of the British group's catalog.

"I don't think there will be enough stuff to do that. There really wasn't a lot of extra stuff just lying around, really," guitarist Phil Manzanera tells Billboard. "There might be the possibility of doing it for For Your Pleasure, a different kind of thing, and maybe it would be interesting to do something for Avalon, because there's one or two tracks we didn't put on there that I have. But after that, I don't know..." And, Manzanera adds, time is a factor for the group.

"This one took about eight years to get together," he notes. "Quite frankly, I don't think we'll be alive if we keep doing this eight years every go, you know?"

I do hope there will be a similar box set and 5.1 surround mix for "For Your Pleasure", my favorite Roxy Music album, which contains my favorite Roxy Music song, a track that's just begging to be mixed in 5.1 surround

[video=youtube;l4uzAADWe00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uzAADWe00[/video]

Um....Phil buddy.....drop the extras, just let SW do the 5.1 remixes of the original albums through Manifesto. Don't let Mr. Ferry, Eno, or anyone else interfere. They can all come out in 2019 for $30 each, all will be fine.:smokin

Mine arrived from Amazon today - will a little luck I might be able to squeeze in some time to play the 5.1 on Thursday, if not then it'll be the weekend.

Well Snood just got off the chat with Amazon Canada -asking why it has not been shipped as yet. Snood was told they have not been sent stock and it might ship in 1 to 2 months :yikes

Was like ummmmm looking at the site and it says in stock, was told well those are by 3rd party and mine was ordered through Amazon and stock has not arrived or some BS :rolleyes:

Got a 10 dollar promotional credit argh :howl - they offered 5 and me said how bout 10

So can only sit and wait and hope they do not cancel over no stock :howl

Weird thing is they pre charged my card 103 dollars last week a couple days before Feb 2nd then canceled the charge a day or 2 after :howl:howl:howl:howl - went to check my card balance and since I paid it already sitting with a negative 103 plus balance. :rolleyes:

There's an interview with Andy Mackay today over at SDE. He had this to say about the 5.1 mix:

SDE: The boxset has a 5.1 surround sound mix that Steven Wilson has created. Is that something that excites you, the idea of hearing the album in that way?

AM: Do you know, it scarcely interests me at all. I guess because I don’t have surround sound set up and never have had. I like the quality of having speakers that you like the sound of, and I really like having vinyl – I hate mp3 sound, and I hate headphones – but I’m not a kind of ‘hi-fi’ – as it used to be called – person. I wouldn’t worry about that. I mean, I think it’s quite nice if you’re sitting in a record company office and someone plays it to you, and hope that there are people who like it, but, you know, it’s not something that is hugely important to me.

The article also ends with the following:

COMING SOON to this blog: “He is the man, Steven Wilson. He has cornered the market and you know, what was amazing as we were sitting down and listening to the original tapes [was] how beautiful they sounded” – Phil Manzanera talking to SDE about Roxy Music.

I liked this part as well:
SDE: Is this the first of a series of reissues, do you know if there are plans to…

AM: I believe so, yeah, I think the plan is to … certainly to do For Your Pleasure which, I think, a certain amount has been done already. Whether they’re actually going to go through all of the albums, I’m not quite sure. I suppose to some extent they’ll see how things go. And also, Roxy’s status has slipped a bit over the last few years, you know… it’s very difficult to know where we stand in the ranks of bands, because..

Please, let it happen! "For Your Pleasure" in 5.1 surround would be a dream come true!

:)

Back