35th Anniv. of CD in US

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy and sad anniversary:D:(

I’m a mainly CD format collector (1300 aprox). Being physical hi-res format (SACD, Bluray audio, HDCD, DVD -Audio/Video) my second one (200 aprox). Unfortunately all these formats are in a hard time. CD is the survival and also becoming a niche format. It’s mad to see how good music is being released in vinyl and DL formats exclusively, which I don’t like, although I have purchased some vinyls and DLs because of the music. Ironically, this is the only way to listen to it.

Streaming is not an option and will be only if physical formats disappear. Vinyl won’t be an alternative because of sound (clics and pops) and space so I’ll continue to support CD format as long as music labels want (y)

As for my first CD: Mecano - Descanso Dominical (spanish band)
First SACD: Sting - Brand New Day
First DVD-A: Björk - Vespertine
First Bluray-A: Roling Stones - Grrr!

:rolleyes:

Ummm not sure why the :rolleyes: - some good stuff plus the Grrr is prettttty goood :banana: - Andddddddd Hi Barbazul :banana:

Ummm not sure why the :rolleyes: - some good stuff plus the Grrr is prettttty goood :banana: - Andddddddd Hi Barbazul :banana:

Hola Snood! :D The :rolleyes: was just to say: I’m happy to own those titles! ...as you said, they’re really good ones! :banana:

I got several CD's as my first. So, I can't remember only one. Here are some of the ones I recall. Since no CD's were being pressed in the US, they were all either German or Japanese.

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Guilty - Barbra Streisand
and Then There Were Three - Genesis
Orff: Carmina Burana Shaw/Atlanta Telarc
Court & Spark and Wild Things Run Fast - Joni Mitchell
Greatest Hits (vol 1) - Linda Ronstadt
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Kunzel/Cincinnati Telarc
A Perfect World of Music - ELO compilation https://www.allmusic.com/album/a-perfect-world-of-music-mw0001878597
Dire Straits, Communique & Making Movies
The Simon & Garfunkel Collection single CD compilation https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simon-Garfunkel-Collection-All-Time-Recordings/dp/B000027790
Parallel Lines & Best of Blondie
It's Hard & Who's Next (German - still the best fidelity, as is the German LP)
Abbey Road - Beatles
Breezin' - George Benson
52nd St & Nylon Curtain- Billy Joel
Holst/Handel/Bach - Fennell/Cleveland Symphonic Winds Telarc
Aqualung & Broadsword - Jethro Tull (German CD sounds light years better than US Chrysalis/Columbia )
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
You've Got the Power - Third World
Beethoven: Sonatas - Pathetique & Moonlight - Emil Gilels DG
The Man with the Horn - Miles
Night Passage - Weather Report Gold tinted (1st Gold CD??)
Breakin' Away - Al Jarreau
Dark Side of the Moon
Abraxas - Santana
Let's Dance - Bowie
Minute by Minute - Doobie Brothers
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue - Bernstein/LA Philharmonic DG
Bodies and Souls - Manhattan Transfer
Best of Roger Whittaker Philips
Arrival - ABBA
Avalon & Flesh and Blood- Roxy Music
Inarticulate Speech of the Heart - Van Morrison
Falla: Three Cornered Hat/El Amor Brujo - Dutoit/Montreal Decca
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

There might be a few others in that 1st batch.

Not bad for the first day of a 35 year Jones!

Wow...I have no idea what my first CD was...but I do remember my first Betamax tape..

Abbey Road was commanding over $200 before its' worldwide release a couple years later. Toshiba/EMI was told to desist and this release was pulled. I didn't want to part with it, since it is my favorite Fab Four album and in my top 10 albums by anyone. It is likely worth something today, though probably worth much less than $200.

Since I don't follow collectable pricing, I have no idea what the going rate is for many titles.

Which CD’s are rare and sought after?

With 15,000 CD's how does one figure out which one to play? I mean sometimes I'll be looking at my modest surround sound collection of about 250 discs, scratch my head say, "Hmmm which one do I want to play now?" Should probably start a thread on that: Pick my next surround title to play.

I don't have 15,000 but I have enough to have the same dilemma. But I have them all losslessly online and use server software that can present a randomly-generated list of albums from which I can choose. It's a great way to be reminded of things I haven't played in ages.

Tooo funny - today on Snood's neighborhood app some guy had ad up for free cds first one comes get them they yours. :yikes freeee :banana:

Picture of big old plastic container stacked with them......was like only 5 minutes away

Figured they might be in crappy condition - got a hold of the guy and no one had grabbed them yet.

Got over there and had to be about 250-300 of them mainly 80s 90s rock and pop and a lot of soundtracks and some broadway plays. Heavy - guy said he had them stacked away for awhile and had them all ripped and they were just taking up space. I was like koooo I get it and thank yoooooooooooooou

Lot of duplicates Snood already has but will check to see if they are same or originals or reissues.....

Oh and they all seem in pretty much VG+ to NRMT condition except he had about 7 loose in the tub, no big

So Snood got some sorting and ripping to do next week on vacation :cool:

Snood love CDs especially freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ones :mad:@:

Tooo funny - today on Snood's neighborhood app some guy had ad up for free cds first one comes get them they yours. :yikes freeee :banana:

Picture of big old plastic container stacked with them......was like only 5 minutes away

Figured they might be in crappy condition - got a hold of the guy and no one had grabbed them yet.

Got over there and had to be about 250-300 of them mainly 80s 90s rock and pop and a lot of soundtracks and some broadway plays. Heavy - guy said he had them stacked away for awhile and had them all ripped and they were just taking up space. I was like koooo I get it and thank yoooooooooooooou

Lot of duplicates Snood already has but will check to see if they are same or originals or reissues.....

Oh and they all seem in pretty much VG+ to NRMT condition except he had about 7 loose in the tub, no big

Wow! That’s awesome. Was the first Black Crowes disc among them? Because I’m jealous again...

Abbey Road was commanding over $200 before its' worldwide release a couple years later. Toshiba/EMI was told to desist and this release was pulled. I didn't want to part with it, since it is my favorite Fab Four album and in my top 10 albums by anyone. It is likely worth something today, though probably worth much less than $200.

Since I don't follow collectable pricing, I have no idea what the going rate is for many titles.

Was it the same as the 1987 release?

My love affair with CDs lives on today...of course I like higher resolution formats...but I haven't abandoned the CDs...a lot of the greatest music is on CDs that will never receive the hi rez treatment..and those older mastered CDs sound excellent on our modern systems...and those of us that love the music and aren't obsessed with having only hi rez music can find the music we love in the CD format...and with a little research we can obtain some great sounding discs...like the Elton John AF Gold CD I'm listening to right now...Rock Of The Westies

For that reason I have bought very few stereo SACDs - to me they rarely offer an advantage over a stereo CD. Multi-channel SACD, on the other hand, is a different story. :)

Snood very lucky (y):)

Wow! That’s awesome. Was the first Black Crowes disc among them? Because I’m jealous again...

Already have that one.....but no

Interesting mix - Some Gun Roses Illlusion 1 and 2, Cure, Springsteen, Eagles, Greenday, Nirvana and Aerosmith, Doors 2 cd Greatest, and on and on

Some Hip Hop and R& B

but had alot of Madonna, Celine Dion, ummm Britney lol and Boy bands too lol

Tons of Movie Soundtracks like Top Gun, Footloose, Cocktail, Animal House, Spiderman, and other well knowns and some obscure ones

About 25 country big artists Shania, Dixie, Paisley, Reba, Urban etc

A lot of compilations - Jock jams, NOW, stuff like that

Had about 30 that Snood already had - but 3 huge 2 foot stacks being rip worthy and keepers :banana::banana:

Was it the same as the 1987 release?

No. It was the same mastering as the Pro-Use vinyl. Way better sounding than the '87. Still sought after because of the mastering.

The remasters hurt resale some, but...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs/176984/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=black%20triangle%20abbey%20road&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

It also has (or doesn't have, I can't recall definitively) "pre-emphasis", which I don't quite recall what it is, but only some players play it back properly. I would imagine that is true for at least a few of Linda's CDs.

No. It was the same mastering as the Pro-Use vinyl. Way better sounding than the '87. Still sought after because of the mastering.

The remasters hurt resale some, but...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs/176984/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=black%20triangle%20abbey%20road&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

It also has (or doesn't have, I can't recall definitively) "pre-emphasis", which I don't quite recall what it is, but only some players play it back properly.

thanks. ebay prices are not too bad, but I might wait in hope for a 2019 5.1 mix, or just run my lp copy through the surround master... :)

Back