Q & A with Elliot Scheiner

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His views regarding Atmos mixing for music mirror my own. However, I say that having never heard any music mixed in Atmos. So maybe my opinion would change after actually listening to a good Atmos mix. But just to add my two cents to this topic, I feel that hearing music coming from above your head just seems unnatural; that it's not the number of speakers you have, but what comes out of those speakers that counts, weather it's 5.1, 7.1, Atmos, etc. Some of ES's 5.1 mixes still rank among my favorites, and I can't imagine Gaucho sounding any better than it's 5.1 version but who knows?

His views regarding Atmos mixing for music mirror my own. However, I say that having never heard any music mixed in Atmos. So maybe my opinion would change after actually listening to a good Atmos mix. But just to add my two cents to this topic, I feel that hearing music coming from above your head just seems unnatural; that it's not the number of speakers you have, but what comes out of those speakers that counts, weather it's 5.1, 7.1, Atmos, etc. Some of ES's 5.1 mixes still rank among my favorites, and I can't imagine Gaucho sounding any better than it's 5.1 version but who knows?
For me it's all about the execution of the mix for what would appropriately go into the height speakers (what I imagine it should sound like-as I also have never heard any Atmos.) A couple examples would be a choir's ambiance from a great cathedral like the: Lost Voices Of Hagia Sophia (even though that example is faux) or- the helicopter overhead in PF's The Wall :rolleyes:. Just a basic 4-5 member rock band just doesn't seem like it would naturally offer up much opportunities for a lot of action in the Atmos heights. That's why I'm always curious for details on Atmos mixes like Abbey Road, to know what was put up there. So I guess you could say I'm right in line with what Elliot thinks of all this Atmos stuff also.

Mr. Scheiner said:
But, you have to understand this bone of contention: they’re hooked up with Universal. Basically, Dolby is trying to get their chip everywhere.
I have a car system in all the Acuras, and it’s all 5.1. Panasonic makes my system. They told me Dolby came to them. It’s all about how they want their chip in the car.
Hmm... Interesting observations from someone in a unique position to know about this stuff.

Elliot Scheiner seems to imply that Dolby is basically a company in search of a fresh, proprietary business model (Vision, Atmos, etc.) After all, there's not a big consumer demand for reducing cassette tape hiss nowadays (yes, that's a simplification, but Dolby is not irreplaceable.) Concerning Acuras, why not try to expand 5.1 car audio into non-luxury automobiles. Only a relatively few Americans can afford to lease or buy an Acura. Think of all those teenagers who discovered the joys of Quad from 8-track players they mounted in their junkers.

I'm also glad to read that the rumors of Scheiner's retirement were greatly exaggerated :)

Interesting interview. I love how he kept talking about the 5.1 in the car. I have been championing that for years. I could never understand how Panasonic/ELS stopped with Acura and did not move to other manufacturers. I think 5.1 audio systems should have also been available in Hondas, or Nissans, Toyotas, Fords, whatever. The more 5.1 systems on the road the bigger the marketplace is for material.

It seemed like a no-brainer to me in 2000-2005 that many new cars should have had SACD and DVD-A players available as options. Imagine that?

It's also interesting to hear that Dolby sounds like it wants in on his Acura system, but he is being hesitant. Well, the new Acura's have speakers in the roof so adding Atmos would be a natural.

The thing that's always been a variable with quad and 5.1 surround is that there is no standard in the home as to what equipment is used, where the speakers are placed, and control stuff like that. Where do the listeners sit?

But in the car, that's all under tight control. The designer knows EXACTLY where the listeners will sit, they know exactly where the speakers will be, and they know what power the amp will need and have. It's a PERFECT ENVIRONMENT FOR SURROUND - FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

And don't tell me it's distracting. I love a sax or choir blasting out of my rear seats! Never crashed the car because of it yet! :SG

In the car, that's all under tight control. The designer knows where the listeners will sit, they know where the speakers will be, and they know what power the amp will have. It's a PERFECT ENVIRONMENT FOR SURROUND - FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

And don't tell me it's distracting. I love a sax or choir blasting out of my rear seats! Never crashed the car because of it yet! :SG
I totally agree. I never listen to talk radio etc. when driving, as I find that is distracting. I start to concentrate on what is being said, and a few years ago nearly had a crash on the motorway when a car suddenly pulled out in front of me, yet with music, I can listen, enjoy it, and concentrate on the road.

There's definitely a difference in the multi-tasking requirement between music and other stuff like talk radio or audiobooks. Whether at home, at work or in the car, I have the opposite problem from what Duncan describes, but still a problem: If I'm driving, or trying to do paperwork or something, I often wind up concentrating on the task at hand and losing the plot of whatever I'm trying to listen to, which is frustrating. Fortunately music can still be enjoyed without that same allocation of gray matter.

It's not usually the program material that is distracting to driving. It's the ads.

Right now a local trucking company has ads on with a beep - beep - beep of a truck backup alarm coming from the right side. Every time I hear it I look to see if it is a real truck.

It's not usually the program material that is distracting to driving. It's the ads.

Right now a local trucking company has ads on with a beep - beep - beep of a truck backup alarm coming from the right side. Every time I hear it I look to see if it is a real truck.
Yikes! What a terrible idea for a radio ad!
I know what you mean. Radio ads with any kind of warning sounds such as horns, sirens, backup beeps are unnerving.

Interesting interview. I love how he kept talking about the 5.1 in the car. I have been championing that for years. I could never understand how Panasonic/ELS stopped with Acura and did not move to other manufacturers. I think 5.1 audio systems should have also been available in Hondas, or Nissans, Toyotas, Fords, whatever. The more 5.1 systems on the road the bigger the marketplace is for material.

It seemed like a no-brainer to me in 2000-2005 that many new cars should have had SACD and DVD-A players available as options. Imagine that?

It's also interesting to hear that Dolby sounds like it wants in on his Acura system, but he is being hesitant. Well, the new Acura's have speakers in the roof so adding Atmos would be a natural.

The thing that's always been a variable with quad and 5.1 surround is that there is no standard in the home as to what equipment is used, where the speakers are placed, and control stuff like that. Where do the listeners sit?

But in the car, that's all under tight control. The designer knows EXACTLY where the listeners will sit, they know exactly where the speakers will be, and they know what power the amp will need and have. It's a PERFECT ENVIRONMENT FOR SURROUND - FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

I often wonder if having 5.1 in my car would have extended my working career. A major factor that drove me to early retirement was the annoying commute.

Ironic, in light of the recent "dozens of Elliot Scheiner LFE/phase mix issues" thread that's been so friggin' depressing to read lately...

I think the only irony I can see is that you apparently feel that one thread on a tiny forum will somehow impact the legacy of Elliot Scheiner....I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who feels that it won't....having this new "discovery" hasn't dampened my enjoyment of his work...not a bit...

I think the only irony I can see is that you apparently feel that one thread on a tiny forum will somehow impact the legacy of Elliot Scheiner....I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who feels that it won't....having this new "discovery" hasn't dampened my enjoyment of his work...not a bit...
That's nice.

Mr Scheiner still gets my vote!! Maybe it’s his version of an Easter egg.

Mr Scheiner still gets my vote!! Maybe it’s his version of an Easter egg.

I don't have any problem with people chasing any metric they want...it makes for discussion...and that's fine...but to attach some major significance to it is another matter...but again....one man's yard find is another man's junk...

Back