October 2023 D-V SACD Releases (Isley Bros, O’Jays, Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Henry Mancini)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have 3 being delivered today
If they arrive unbroken it will be proof Gos's Law has been repealed....
That would be almost impossible, as it’s extremely difficult to repeal an International Law. When it comes to shipping music in surround, you have to take a look at these things from multiple angles.

Me too. I never follow GOS’s Law_ and I’ve never had a damaged disc from Dutton Vocalion!
I've had some come with cracked top covers on the jewel boxes, but I just went to Office Max and bought some replacement jewel boxes, so I could replace the bad part. Usually, that damage happens while the discs are in transit, and I can't see holding D-V responsible for that. I just fix them myself, and be done with it. The replacement cases are cheap. Not a big deal.

I've had some come with cracked top covers on the jewel boxes, but I just went to Office Max and bought some replacement jewel boxes, so I could replace the bad part. Usually, that damage happens while the discs are in transit, and I can't see holding D-V responsible for that. I just fix them myself, and be done with it. The replacement cases are cheap. Not a big deal.
Wow, office max carries them?

Yes the regular CD cases are easily found its the super jewel ones that are difficult to find especially the old narrow hinge style
My DVs didn't come yesterday hoping I'll get them monday.

Received my 10-release shipment today on the West Coast of North America. I paid for the extra wrapper, which was a cheap option, and it may have made a difference: no cracked cases at all this time. The wrappers they use are fairly minimal, so I wasn't expecting much of an improvement in protection, but I'll keep paying for it if it keeps getting me undamaged goods.
Acoustic Sounds has the jewel cases that are exactly like the ones used for the Quadios if anyone is interested.
One minor difference: the spares from Acoustic Sounds are branded with the Super Jewel Box logo on the front half in the bottom lefthand corner, while the ones Rhino uses are unbranded. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Received my 10-release shipment today on the West Coast of North America. I paid for the extra wrapper, which was a cheap option, and it may have made a difference: no cracked cases at all this time. The wrappers they use are fairly minimal, so I wasn't expecting much of an improvement in protection, but I'll keep paying for it if it keeps getting me undamaged goods.

One minor difference: the spares from Acoustic Sounds are branded with the Super Jewel Box logo on the front half in the bottom lefthand corner, while the ones Rhino uses are unbranded. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.
yipee!! 🥳
which ones did you get? 🤩
what will you play first!? 😅😊

Reactions: GOS

I see the Super Jewel Box logo on my Rhino's; at the lower center, under the disc 👀

yipee!! 🥳
which ones did you get? 🤩
what will you play first!? 😅😊
The new Isleys, O'Jays, and Mancini four-fer, plus Galway & Mancini, Galway Showpieces, Gerhardt Star Wars, Randall & Fiedler Façade, Ormandy Ives, Threepenny Opera, and Vaughan Williams 49th Parallel. Probably Star Wars first.
I see the Super Jewel Box logo on my Rhino's; at the lower center, under the disc
👀
But, as you say, it's only visible once you remove the disc. Acoustic Sounds' cases have it visible on the outside.

Has anyone from the EU recently ordered from Dutton Vocalion? Do they have IOSS in place, meaning does the purchase price include VAT?"

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good qualilty album cover for Enoch LIght - Serendipity? I sure can't find one....for that matter, I can't seem to find any info on that album at all. I don't want to use the Vocalion 2fer cover. I want the original.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good qualilty album cover for Enoch LIght - Serendipity? I sure can't find one....for that matter, I can't seem to find any info on that album at all. I don't want to use the Vocalion 2fer cover. I want the original.
Yeah same here... I don't think there's anything out there that seems to shows up on the internet?! Pretty strange, but much better to have the music than the cover I guess!

In the end I resorted to scanning in the tiny thumbnail from the back. I do wish D-V would make the images they use available on their website. I can understand that they might not have the actual album covers provided to them by the record company, and therefore maybe have to use some good use of graphic design to clean stuff up themselves - if that's the case?

But still, going to all that effort seems like it's even more of a reason to get the images seen... I dunno, it's the only ever small inconvenience I've had in what is always a perfect/exceptional product.

This is what I've used. If I take my glasses off, it looks pretty good! 🤓

folder.png

A big word of warning regarding the 2 disc set of Mancini. SACD 2 (they call it CD2), is on the backside of CD1. It is nearly impossible to get it off the plastic holder. No, seriously. I thought it might break...but I was able to finally dislodge it. Easily the tightest I've ever encountered. I'm going to try to file down the plastic pins, and see if that helps.

A big word of warning regarding the 2 disc set of Mancini. SACD 2 (they call it CD2), is on the backside of CD1. It is nearly impossible to get it off the plastic holder. No, seriously. I thought it might break...but I was able to finally dislodge it. Easily the tightest I've ever encountered. I'm going to try to file down the plastic pins, and see if that helps.
I just played both discs without incident .....you must've received a bad plastic hub. Now, OTOH, getting those discs out of the new TULL boxset Broadsword and the Beast is a whole 'nother ball of wax..... I ended up putting the two DVDs in Japanese plastic enclosures and squeezing them into the included DVD 2 pocket.

Back