Bitches Brew Quadraphonic SACD from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd appreciate it if one of our resident "rippers" would be so kind as to post a waveform of the first few minutes of the opening track.
(Pharaoh's Dance)

The rears go from silent to short teasing bursts of surround.
I'd like to see it graphically.

My heavens, the mix engineers must have had fun with this.
Before there were rules, and in the spirit of Miles.

Some more background on Miles' involvement in the editing:
https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspa...61/894/D_Smith_Jeremy_a_200812.pdf?sequence=1

...a letter from Davis to Macero regarding the follow‐up Bitches Brew album clearly documents Davis’s ongoing involvement in post‐production decisions. The following letter, which refers to material recorded on August 19, 1969, shows Davis not simply approving editorial decisions made by others but rather actively making those decisions himself:

Dear Teo;
| Take the last two takes, which are the same thing, and stick the first take on the beginning (the slow part in C minor with the C pedal.) The second take – put on the end with the C pedal in the C minor and all the drum noise which ends the side. Now we have the beginning and an ending. The first part of the tape is tuning up and the rest is where it starts. It begins with the conversation between you and me where you say, ‘Just stomp the shit off.’

That’s where I want this whole side to start. Don’t forget to overlap the C with the bass clarinet introduction – in other words, run it together. After you put on the introduction then you put the ending on and the rest runs straight through as is. It should be about 27 to 30 minutes.

| The part before which you’re going to use for the introduction and ending, there’s a little section that really swings. It starts off with the bass clarinet and it’s really tight swing. Use this more than once when there’s a lull in the feeling, but don’t use it after the introduction. If you want to lead into the introduction with it that’s okay.

| Don’t break any of the sections. Have them run together whether they are high in volume or low in volume.
| This is one side that I want you to work on. If you are not sure you have the right take, phone me in California.
| Extend the bass clarinet introduction and let it play twice before the trumpet comes in – just repeat it over.
| Sincerely, Miles Davis
The Teo Macero Collection, The Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers University.

Hmm. I have never actually listened to this album before (somehow despite having a few other Miles albums), so I'm not sure that I'm reacting the quad mix or just the music itself (or both), but I'm really enjoying this.

well.. it could be both! :love:

musically it is kinda mind-blowingly "out there", even to this day (imho!) but equally the mix, to me, in the scheme of all the Rock/Pop/Jazz Quads I've heard so far, is truly exceptional.. and proof, if any were ever needed, that a highly active hugely discrete Quad mix can be a highly musical thing!

amongst many other beautiful surround sound highlights, trumpet delays bounce about the channels, not as a mere gimmck "because they can" but in so doing add depth, drama and (without getting too pretentious!) an almost lyrical extra layer of interpretation in the compositions, without any words.. rather than just a different presentation as one is so accustomed to with Quad and 5.1 music, this is akin to a reimagining..!

ok, to address my own mini elephant in the room, I've whinged on here about the frankly bonkers cost of this product (when including International shipping and import duty) no denying its for "Rich Bitches" only, which is a shame when everyone into surround music should hear this in this kind of quality.. but really everything about this package just screams premium, it almost seems churlish to bemoan the cost, somehow!?!

the packaging is somewhat superfluous perhaps to some but I see it as delightful icing on an absolutely scrumptious confection that may be mega but you just can't get enough of.. nom nom nom.. Sony Japan must know they have totally raised the bar with what the likes of us will expect from their Surround SACD releases now...!?

hmm.. 🤔 yes, there's only one thing for it, they must tackle the rest of the Santana Quads in such sparkling fashion! haha.. ;)

(feeling one of those "instant QQ 10's" coming on.. slightly scary after just one listen.. but then we can change our votes down the line here now after all.. not to an "11" but still.. :giggle: )

well.. it could be both! :love:

amongst many other beautiful surround sound highlights, trumpet delays bounce about the channels, not as a mere gimmck "because they can" but in so doing add depth, drama and (without getting too pretentious!) an almost lyrical extra layer of interpretation in the compositions, without any words.. rather than just a different presentation as one is so accustomed to with Quad and 5.1 music, this is akin to a reimagining..!

This is what I noticed the most my first time through. It really works well.

Pulled my September issue of Mojo from the mailbox to find an interview with John McLaughlin.

Here are his Miles & BB stories, as I listen to Disc 2, especially the track Miles name after him. :smokin

Next up, A Tribute To Jack Johnson in DPLII fake quad.
Then, some Birds of Fire in real quad, another adventurous and unconventional mix.

page088.jpg

page089.jpg

page091.jpg

Anyone got a copy from ImportCD yet? Their website still says 8-17 but apparently some of you already have it from other sources. I placed order back in June with Import.

Hmm. I have never actually listened to this album before (somehow despite having a few other Miles albums), so I'm not sure that I'm reacting the quad mix or just the music itself (or both), but I'm really enjoying this.
...up to a point I'd like to say that myself but I have enjoyed this LP so much that it's no surprise that this is a desert island disc for me... so many layers that you are never tired of it, finding stuff everywhere...
This was one of the landmarks in MCH...so many tricks emulated throughout the ages...way ahead...MILES Ahead, I'd say...there, I said it!!!

I'm finally just putting this on now. My Amazon order should have arrived Thursday, but apparently the local DHL van got in an accident (!), so it was delivered on Friday instead. Then I had to wait for the home theater to be free, so it has taken the whole weekend.

WOW. "Pharaoh's Dance" is discrete as hell. Instruments are coming out of all kinds of speakers, and I really feel like I'm "inside" the music. I'm literally less than ten minutes in and already loving it. I don't want to recommend anything just yet, but I'm very excited if the rest of the album is this good.

Also, I'm not really a fan of 7" and/or mini-LP packaging, but this being a two-disc set is less cumbersome than the three-disc Lotus, and the packaging is sort of mini-gatefold LP with all the "accessories" folded up neatly and separately inside. Quite a bit more practical, but I still would have preferred some kind of jewel or plastic case.

I'm not going to buy this release unless I read some feedback first on the stereo tracks... I'm not even sure whether this includes the original mix or the remix... I'll wait patiently ;):)
There was a remix of this?! I'm out of the loop then. When? What's the story with that? I've been happy with a transfer of the Q4 for a long time. Less happy with a decoded copy of the SQ vinyl for Live but I digress.

I'd still really like to see this stuff reissued in HD PCM digital though...

Back