3-DVD Set with 45 80's videos in real 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Okay guys, surprise discovery time!

I was randomly clicking around on Amazon when I stumbled on this review of a DVD set called, "Pure '80s: The Ultimate DVD Box":

REAL 5.1 remixes!

Can't believe nobody's mentioned yet that the songs on here are REAL 5.1 multi-channel remixes- none of that fake stuff where they just ran the 2-channel mix through a pro-logic decoder and turned the LFE track up all the way- this is the real deal! That's reason enough to get this, the videos are just a bonus on top of that! (There's also an uncompressed 2-channel PCM track for the purists.)

My only complaint is there should've been a LOT more videos on this 3-disc set- each one is single-sided and single-layer so there's barely 1 disc's worth of content here. And as has been mentioned, the "Headbangers" disc is mostly forgettable and obscure stuff (though the Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurriane" and Dio's "Holy Diver" sound great in multi-channel!)

Check out the track list:

img_1515834_62260332_0.jpg

Needless to say, I just bought one. Will post back here once I have it, but from other reviews that I've read (though none specifically pointed out anything else about the 5.1 mix), this should be a real treat.

Parental Advisory Warning - You may want to turn off the screen for the Relax video! :yikes

OH Yeah , SNood would be interested if it does indeed sound goooood. PLease let us know

Shopping for it now. I am definitely an 80s hairband fanboi, lol. I play it so much my kids know it. Then again, everything 80s is making a comeback.

If this is discrete 5.1 I will eat my hat, I expect a Silverline style reverb-fest in the rears and a muddy low frequency channel, mixed from a multi-generation 6 degrees of separation from the master. Of course I could be wrong and I'll have my hat with a little bit of salt and ketchup. Look forward to the critical review. :friday:

If this is discrete 5.1 I will eat my hat, I expect a Silverline style reverb-fest in the rears and a muddy low frequency channel, mixed from a multi-generation 6 degrees of separation from the master. Of course I could be wrong and I'll have my hat with a little bit of salt and ketchup. Look forward to the critical review. :friday:

I read that this is an unofficial russian release...so I think the same :).

I read that this is an unofficial russian release...so I think the same :).

This is an official UME/Hip-O Records release. The discs are also available individually. Haven't heard them myself but can confirm at least that they are "official"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I "found" the Headbangers DVD. I don't think it is a true discrete mix from the multitracks. I will say that there are differences between front, rear and center but it sounds more like a simple faux program like a Neo surround effect. They also seem to mute tracks for more effect. It is NOT just reverb in the rears like a Silverline mix though.

Well, surprise, surprise!!!! This is the real deal, at least the Totally New Wave disc is real 5.1!!!!! I'm happy Bob was wrong this.

Just checking Video Idols. Centerfold isn't great mix, but discrete. Overall most tracks seem very discrete. Some missed opportunities in some mixes, but definitely worth buying. Too bad it took us 8 years to find this! Sounds good for Dolby Digital.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with my initial opinion and go with these being upmixes. I can get the same results by playing any of these tracks through something like Neo or especially the Surround Master. There is nothing in the center that leads me to believe that it is discrete. It is merely the mono signal from the left and right. The rears are nothing more than the stereo extractions (wider phase etc). I get the same thing when I play music in my car using Dolby Surround. I extracted the wavs from the 5.1 track and played them separately and, while the mixes sound good when played in total, they are not from the multis. I have both the Headbangers and Totally New Wave discs.

Just got this today. So far I am very pleasantly surprised. The surround is not necessarily a re-mixed version, but more like taking a drum riff or guitar lick or keyboard diddy (my techical terms) and spread them to the rears. At times it sounds like reverb, mirroring the fronts, but there is definitely separation enough to know the rears are being used. Keep in mind I am a HUGE 80s brat. This stuff is what I grew up on, and I love it. I highly recommend this set. It is not the same quality of other surround music we typically evaluate, but not bad. Plus you get the videos too! This is not Silverline type stuff but it is no Steven Wilson either. Regardless, it is good enough that I will play this more than once. I love watching this and am gonna have a blast showing my kids how we used to dress and dance, etc, lol.

Bob, I am hearing things unique to a speaker, or the rears in some songs. Some are definitely better than others. I am listening to The Fixx--One Thing Leads To Another now and here some discrete rear sounds. This may be the exception, but at least with my setup it sounds exclusive to the rear with some sounds. I have never used Neo or other things to seperate sounds to different speakers so I can't compare them. As far as a center channel, typically stereo playing sounds like it comes from there for me so I don't notice anything different. It seems as if maybe I have my system setup that I hear things a bit differently, with my rears turned up a bit, perhaps, my proximity to speakers causes different effects, etc. Anyyway, just wanted to add that it sounded decent to me, with some apparent separation.

This isn't an upmix, period. Not super aggressive at times, but definitely a remix. I've suffered through plenty upmixes, and this ain't that. This is the real deal. If you like this material, it is a must have.

Back