a site for PS3 fans of SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link!!

I am really considering latching on to a PS3 and using it as my main Blu-Ray player. Knowing that it supports SA-CD helps me halfway as I still have a large (well semi-large) collection of DVD-A.

I have been sitting and waiting in the wings long enough. Time to take the Blu-Ray plunge!

yea I think all new models are with out the SACD and PS2 chips so you would have to find an older model. I have a new one and let my OPPO work the audio side.
But the PS3 is great for Blu-Ray, Games and Media Center.

The original 60GB, 20GB and the early 80GB that came with Motorstorm all play SACD. All are great media players, I have an 80GB and a 40GB PS3 console, both purchased new during special promotions. I don't recall ever being able to buy anything that good for the price. I don't use my 80GB for SACD since I have to have a DVD-A player connected anyway and use a universal player for that purpose, it wouldn't do me any good or save me any space. The PS3 has been the best deal and most popular player for Blu-ray by far but the standalone players have now caught up so if you have no interest in the media center, SACD or gaming aspect, you should look at one of the standalone players for Blu-ray. The Panasonic DMP-BD35 or Sony BDP-S350 if you have HDMI 1.3a audio processing or the Panasonic DMP-BD55 or Sony BDP-S550 if you have analog input only are great choices and a great value now if you don't have HDMI 1.3a audio processing. I like the PS3 better than any of them because it does so much more but for just Blu-ray, I like those others better now. The upcoming PS3 console, I don't recall if it is 120GB or 160GB might have SACD, I have not seen any announcement on that but finding a new PS3 with SACD in stores now is very difficult.

I am still hoping that Oppo will have a Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player on the market in the coming months but it will be higher priced than all of the players I named and the timing is still unclear although a prototype was shown at CES this year. That player did not include the DVD-A logo but I communicate with Oppo and DVD-A is still possible although not definite. Without DVD-A, the player would sure limit its market since most of us with SACD also own DVD-A and again, only one isn't of much value to me.

Chris

Back