ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long ago did you buy them?...they are all CDs right?

I purchased them pretty much a few weeks after they were released. So, I've had them quite a long time I guess. Heck, I can't remember the contents of each. Maybe some have Blu-ray...can't remember. I bought them because I thought (and still do) that they represented a good value for a true Floyd fan...which I am. I'll get around to them some day. :)

No surround sound on this set, but I thought some would be interested to know that Love's "Forever Changes" is being released as a Super Deluxe Edition in April. Full details and pre-order link below:

Love’s FOREVER CHANGES is the psychedelic folk-rock pioneers’ finest achievement. Mostly overlooked when it was released in 1967, today the album is considered an indispensable masterpiece. In 2008, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and – in 2012 – the Library of Congress added it to the National Recording Registry.

Rhino will celebrate the acclaimed album’s golden anniversary with an extensive 4CD/DVD/LP collection housed in a beautifully illustrated 12 x 12 hardbound book that features a newly written essay and track-by-track notes by music historian Ted Olsen. FOREVER CHANGES: 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION will be available on April 6.

The set features a few firsts for the album, including the CD-debut of a remastered version made by its original co-producer and engineer Bruce Botnick, as well as the first-ever release of the mono version on CD. Also included are alternate mixes of the album, as well as a selection of rare and unreleased singles and studio outtakes. Botnick’s stereo remaster of the original album makes its vinyl debut on the LP included with this set. It was cut from high resolution digital audio by celebrated audio engineer Bernie Grundman. The DVD that accompanies the anniversary collection includes a 24/96 stereo mix of the album version of the original album remastered by Botnick. Also featured is “Your Mind And We Belong Together,” a rare promotional video directed by Elektra producer Mark Abramson that was originally released in 1968.

Recorded during the Summer of Love in Hollywood, CA, Forever Changes is the group’s most fully realized studio effort, featuring Arthur Lee (vocals, guitar), Johnny Echols (lead guitar), Bryan MacLean (rhythm guitar, vocals), Ken Forssi (bass) and Michael Stuart (drums, percussion). The original album introduced classics like “Andmoreagain,” “Red Telephone,” “A House Is Not A Motel” and “Alone Again Or.”

FOREVER CHANGES: 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION boasts more than a dozen rarities, including single versions of “Alone Again Or” and “A House Is Not A Motel” that are available now for the first time since 1967. Two other recordings on the set have never been released: the backing track for “Live And Let Live” and an outtake backing track for “Wonder People (I Do Wonder).”

[CD1: Original Album]
1. Alone Again Or
2. A House Is Not A Motel
3. Andmoreagain
4. The Daily Planet
5. Old Man
6. The Red Telephone
7. Maybe T People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
8. Live And Let Live
9. The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This
10. Bummer In The Summer
11. You Set The Scene

[CD2: Mono Mix]
1. Alone Again Or
3. Andmoreagain
4. The Daily Planet
5. Old Man
6. The Red Telephone
7. Maybe T People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
8. Live And Let Live
10. Bummer In The Summer
11. You Set The Scene

[CD3: Alternate Mix]
1. Alone Again Or
3. Andmoreagain
4. The Daily Planet
5. Old Man
6. The Red Telephone
7. Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
8. Live And Let Live
10. Bummer In The Summer
11. You Set The Scene
12. Wonder People (I Do Wonder) (Outtake, Alternate Mix)

[CD4: Singles And Outtakes]
1. Wonder People (I Do Wonder)
2. Alone Again Or (Single Version)
3. A House Is Not A Motel (Single Version)
4. Hummingbirds (Demo)
5. A House Is Not A Motel (Backing Track)
6. Andmoreagain (Alternate Electric Backing Track)
7. The Red Telephone (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
8. Wooly Bully (Outtake)
9. Live And Let Live (Backing Track) *
10. Wonder People (I Do Wonder) (Outtake, Backing Track) *
11. Your Mind And We Belong Together (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
12. Your Mind And We Belong Together
13. Laughing Stock
14. Alone Again Or (Mono Single Remix)

[DVD: 24/96 Stereo Mix]
1. Alone Again Or
3. Andmoreagain
4. The Daily Planet
5. Old Man
6. The Red Telephone
7. Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
8. Live And Let Live
10. Bummer In The Summer
11. You Set The Scene
12. Your Mind And We Belong Together (Video)

[LP: Original Album]
Side One
1. Alone Again Or
3. Andmoreagain
4. The Daily Planet
5. Old Man
6. The Red Telephone

Side Two
1. Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale
2. Live And Let Live
3. The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This
4. Bummer In The Summer
5. You Set The Scene

* Previously Unreleased

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JPP1QC/

Probably somebody that frequents this forum or Hoffman's...I did the same thing when I knew Farewell to Kings was getting a Steven Wilson facelift...I sold the stand alone blu ray:)
Indeed. I was wondering aloud to myself if I already had the mono mixes, then wondering if the stereo mixes would've been the original mixes (I think so, by '67), then I realized I already have a lot of versions of this fantastic album. Ha.
I was fortunate enough to see "Love" (also with Johnny Echols) just a couple months before Lee passed. Sigh....
6037f94b29a16e72b4cbafe44b31a202.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There was speculation that the SACD used the “other” mix that was an unreleased quad mix folded down. Can’t confirm at the moment....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another thread(the Acura thread)Elliot Scheiner was mentioned..it appears that ES has talent in other areas...he married an actress in 1985 and is still married to her..I would bet many of the people on this forum have seen her on tv and didn't realize who she was...see was a star on Soap and appeared on Happy Days

Some info on her here

Frank Zappa has a very loyal fan base...just a few days after the release date... the new offering is sold out at importcds...deep discount ..bullmoose and many other outlets... the box set of 7 CDs is still available at amazon HERE

Pre ordered this back in 2017 from Amazon ca.. For me, this was a no brainer purchase.
Was suppose to get this on Feb. 2, but a week before the release, it came up as being released on March 23!
It's same at Amazon uk.

If anyone has gotten this, I would be interested on what they think of it.

The comments in this Uncut (UK) review is the opposite of the SH fellow vigorously proclaiming there is only one stereo mix:

A suite of songs as seductive as honey-traps, with such powerful psychological associations of sunshine that they almost warm the skin on your arms, Forever Changes was – we know – fashioned out of chaos in 1967 by a complex, multi-racial Los Angeles group reeling from the effects of fractious egos and drugs. You could call it an album of many realities, from Dali to Don Quixote, and certainly, when it came to the existential ‘moment’, few singers were as voluptuously aware of their senses as Arthur Lee (“And it’s so for-real to touch, to smell, to feel, to know where you are here”).

Filed in a thousand iPods under Rock (it isn’t, really), but too weird to be billeted alongside The Turtles in Pop, Forever Changes is an enduring imponderable. With its fiesta-like melodies, and startling shifts from the benign to the macabre, it’s like “Do You Know The Way To San José?”, if LA was a great big freeway with a line of hearses stretching out to the airport.

Rhino’s new Collector’s Edition – a two-CD set – expands on the 2001 remaster, keeping the sound quality high but consigning the bonus material to a second disc. This 78-minute disc, unusually strong for a reissue of this kind, begins with an ‘alternate mix’ of the entire album. Imagine: the songs are familiar, but the voices and instruments all occupy completely different positions in the stereo picture. This makes for tremendous fun, and personally, while it may be heresy to say so, I’ve started preferring a few of these mixes (“Alone Again Or”, “The Daily Planet”) to the originals.

Highlights from the studio tracking sessions, meanwhile, allow us to observe the music being made. This proves less enjoyable. “The Red Telephone” disintegrates in stoned laughter and profanities; Love were clearly out of their brains. More worthy of interest is the selection of demos and outtakes, including an electric guitar prototype of “Andmoreagain”, a dynamite backing track for “A House Is Not A Motel”, and a breezy little tune called “Wonder People (I Do Wonder)” which will remind you of Tom Jones’s “It’s Not Unusual”.

The comments in this Uncut (UK) review is the opposite of the SH fellow vigorously proclaiming there is only one stereo mix:

A suite of songs as seductive as honey-traps, with such powerful psychological associations of sunshine that they almost warm the skin on your arms, Forever Changes was – we know – fashioned out of chaos in 1967 by a complex, multi-racial Los Angeles group reeling from the effects of fractious egos and drugs. You could call it an album of many realities, from Dali to Don Quixote, and certainly, when it came to the existential ‘moment’, few singers were as voluptuously aware of their senses as Arthur Lee (“And it’s so for-real to touch, to smell, to feel, to know where you are here”).

Filed in a thousand iPods under Rock (it isn’t, really), but too weird to be billeted alongside The Turtles in Pop, Forever Changes is an enduring imponderable. With its fiesta-like melodies, and startling shifts from the benign to the macabre, it’s like “Do You Know The Way To San José?”, if LA was a great big freeway with a line of hearses stretching out to the airport.

Rhino’s new Collector’s Edition – a two-CD set – expands on the 2001 remaster, keeping the sound quality high but consigning the bonus material to a second disc. This 78-minute disc, unusually strong for a reissue of this kind, begins with an ‘alternate mix’ of the entire album. Imagine: the songs are familiar, but the voices and instruments all occupy completely different positions in the stereo picture. This makes for tremendous fun, and personally, while it may be heresy to say so, I’ve started preferring a few of these mixes (“Alone Again Or”, “The Daily Planet”) to the originals.

Highlights from the studio tracking sessions, meanwhile, allow us to observe the music being made. This proves less enjoyable. “The Red Telephone” disintegrates in stoned laughter and profanities; Love were clearly out of their brains. More worthy of interest is the selection of demos and outtakes, including an electric guitar prototype of “Andmoreagain”, a dynamite backing track for “A House Is Not A Motel”, and a breezy little tune called “Wonder People (I Do Wonder)” which will remind you of Tom Jones’s “It’s Not Unusual”.

If you read Steve Hoffman's post(number 2 on the thread)he talks about a "rough remix"..that wasn't intended for release...if anybody knows it's Hoffman...

I did see that earlier; that could be right. It’s plausible the rough (preliminary) mix could be seen as alternate (later) mix. The reference above was to a member not SH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did see that earlier; that could be right. It’s plausible the rough (preliminary) mix could be seen as alternate (later) mix. The reference above was to a member not SH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Hoffman is talking about the rough mix being the "other" mix as he firmly contends there is only 1 mix..and he should know as he did work on one of the cd versions

Back