ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today when I was on Ebay I happen to notice this listing and it triggered a memory of mine...in 1982 I purchased a vinyl issue of the Dark Side Of The Moon...it was being touted as "super vinyl" by JVC and pressed in Japan...at that time a vinyl title usually cost $6 or 7$...this edition cost $50....now in 1982 there were no super deluxe edition box sets...so that was pretty high for vinyl….so I played it one time on my turntable and never played it again...I was waiting because I planned on getting a Thorens model turntable....but I never did... and then CDs pushed vinyl out of the picture...so I just kept it...and took it with me to the various cities I lived in the Midwest and then here in Florida....I never put it in plastic to protect it and it suffered severe warping and it was exposed to some extreme heat and humidity...now it's just a memory I have...an unfulfilled adventure.... it's a limited edition ..number 165 out of 5000...and it has a brochure explaining what super vinyl is and a certificate...I wish I would have taken care of it...but I moved quite a few times and it might have been damaged anyway..

View attachment 33792

View attachment 33793

View attachment 33794
I'm curious as to what you expcected vs what you got in fidelity for that price? Now, I'm not sure I ever played a UHQR, but I did have a pretty nice Thorenz for a few years.

One thing I was super gung-ho about when I started in Hi Fi/Quad, was decent LP quality. I was so pissed when the industry num-nuts evidently started melting old batches, label and all, and thereby totaly fk up the records.
Did this really happen? I can't say.........but when the rumor appeared (of course) I and many had found the quality of 33 1/3 to take a total dump for a while, with some stragglers lingering for years.

I'm curious as to what you expcected vs what you got in fidelity for that price? Now, I'm not sure I ever played a UHQR, but I did have a pretty nice Thorenz for a few years.

One thing I was super gung-ho about when I started in Hi Fi/Quad, was decent LP quality. I was so pissed when the industry num-nuts evidently started melting old batches, label and all, and thereby totaly fk up the records.
Did this really happen? I can't say.........but when the rumor appeared (of course) I and many had found the quality of 33 1/3 to take a total dump for a while, with some stragglers lingering for years.

In 1982 when I bought it...my expectations were modest...I just didn't want to hear the snap crackle and pop show...like I said..I only played it once and I remember it being very quiet and that excited me...my hope was with a new hi profile turntable it would stay "crackle" free...my other observation was how much heavier it was compared to a standard LP of the day....they didn't have that marketing machine then that assessed values to the LPs..like 180gram...200gram....

I was browsing through Acoustic Sounds and noticed that Steppenwolf Gold Stereo SACD is still number 1 in sales. I also noticed it says backordered. Man.....I didn't see that coming. Must be really popular. I might have to get that one.... :)

I've been waiting for Music Direct to get it so I can get a discount...elusive disc will have it on 7/31...here

I was browsing through Acoustic Sounds and noticed that Steppenwolf Gold Stereo SACD is still number 1 in sales. I also noticed it says backordered. Man.....I didn't see that coming. Must be really popular. I might have to get that one.... :)

I've been waiting for Music Direct to get it so I can get a discount...elusive disc will have it on 7/31...here

Today when I was on Ebay I happen to notice this listing and it triggered a memory of mine...in 1982 I purchased a vinyl issue of the Dark Side Of The Moon...it was being touted as "super vinyl" by JVC and pressed in Japan...at that time a vinyl title usually cost $6 or 7$...this edition cost $50....now in 1982 there were no super deluxe edition box sets...so that was pretty high for vinyl….so I played it one time on my turntable and never played it again...I was waiting because I planned on getting a Thorens model turntable....but I never did... and then CDs pushed vinyl out of the picture...so I just kept it...and took it with me to the various cities I lived in the Midwest and then here in Florida....I never put it in plastic to protect it and it suffered severe warping and it was exposed to some extreme heat and humidity...now it's just a memory I have...an unfulfilled adventure.... it's a limited edition ..number 165 out of 5000...and it has a brochure explaining what super vinyl is and a certificate...I wish I would have taken care of it...but I moved quite a few times and it might have been damaged anyway..

View attachment 33792

View attachment 33793

View attachment 33794

Wow, awesome duuude!!!!!
I alwayyyss wanted tone of these!!!!!
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

In 1982 when I bought it...my expectations were modest...I just didn't want to hear the snap crackle and pop show...like I said..I only played it once and I remember it being very quiet and that excited me...my hope was with a new hi profile turntable it would stay "crackle" free...my other observation was how much heavier it was compared to a standard LP of the day....they didn't have that marketing machine then that assessed values to the LPs..like 180gram...200gram....
Ahh, yes. Back in the 70's I liked LP's that were pressed in either the UK or Germany, the vinyl always seemed so pristine (and heavier). So I get where you're coming from.

Ahh, yes. Back in the 70's I liked LP's that were pressed in either the UK or Germany, the vinyl always seemed so pristine (and heavier). So I get where you're coming from.

Ah Clint....a bit of fresh plastic wrap, a little weight for the warps, up on Ebay as "Like New" and you'll be a rich, or richer, man!

Well G...I was talking to Bobby and he wants to meet Luther....Bobby loves to rock..watched a show about Black Sabbath today...very interesting...

IMG_3182.JPG

LOL! Wow!!! Is that something you made....or you purchased at a "horror" shop?

I purchased it at a long time ago at an art supply shop...the skin used to be smooth and looked like real human skin...from a distance you could hardly tell it wasn't a real face...my friends and I used to have some real involved Halloween parties...one year I hosted the Halloween party and I rented a real casket from a local funeral home...I was married at the time and my wife and I left our house open so our friends wouldn't know it was us...I had blacklight writings on the walls and plenty of joints rolled in advance and arranged on a coffee table so everbody could help themselves...and we purchased a huge plastic garbage can and filled it with "jungle juice"...which was every white colored liquor and Hawaiian Punch...it was mixed so you couldn't really tell how strong it was...good times...

I purchased it at a long time ago at an art supply shop...the skin used to be smooth and looked like real human skin...from a distance you could hardly tell it wasn't a real face...my friends and I used to have some real involved Halloween parties...one year I hosted the Halloween party and I rented a real casket from a local funeral home...I was married at the time and my wife and I left our house open so our friends wouldn't know it was us...I had blacklight writings on the walls and plenty of joints rolled in advance and arranged on a coffee table so everbody could help themselves...and we purchased a huge plastic garbage can and filled it with "jungle juice"...which was every white colored liquor and Hawaiian Punch...it was mixed so you couldn't really tell how strong it was...good times...

A REAL stoner, Huh? I knew we were kindred spirits!

Great story!

I just noticed something today...I'm waiting on some external hard drives I purchased on amazon and it's "out for delivery" and amazon is telling me how many stops there are before reaching me...what?...wow...I wouldn't want to be one of these people working on deliveries for amazon...this is one of their sub contractors working today....it probably isn't very accurate...but it sure might be enough for the driver to not deviate from his assigned route:rolleyes:

Update:..the tracking was spot on...the guy knocked on the door once and I opened it in time to see him taking a picture of the box in front of my door...wow...video evidence...I can't wait until the drones deliver these thingso_O

Last edited:
I meant to add Japan, who, as a whole, produced some great sounding LP's "back when".

Here's something I ran into a few years ago, not super related but; I was looking for a CD by Roy Buchanan, and I used to deal with a little company in the Islands that specialized in finding OOP CD's.
Well, they found a semi-recent pressing in the Republic of Korea. I don't know why, but I had been in SE Asia, and it would have never occurred to me. Still it was great news and a small education I've since pursued. :hi

Stick with me....

So, I was at work earlier today....I'm in agriculture...science end of it. :) I was in the fields, and I bent over to pull out a damn glyphosate resistant weed and the button on my shorts popped off. Worse yet, I bent over to grab the button and the zipper broke....

Hmmm.

So, I go to Champaign, find a Kohls and buy a pair of shorts...lmao.
What does this have to do with music? Well....I decided to stop by Best Buy...haven't been there in ages.....I was stunned at how many vinyl they have. Whoa.....and their CD section seems to be smaller......

Thought you'd all love to hear my story. :SG

Stick with me....

So, I was at work earlier today....I'm in agriculture...science end of it. :) I was in the fields, and I bent over to pull out a damn glyphosate resistant weed and the button on my shorts popped off. Worse yet, I bent over to grab the button and the zipper broke....

Hmmm.

What does this have to do with music? Well....I decided to stop by Best Buy...haven't been there in ages.....I was stunned at how many vinyl they have. Whoa.....and their CD section seems to be smaller......

My only question is:

How did you feel after smoking the glyphosate resistant weed? :smokin

Stick with me....

Hmmm.

Are you kidding...of course we want to hear about it(y) there are all the elements of a great mini series.....I bent over...my shorts popped off...zipper broke..Champagne...weed..love

Back