ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time importcds has a discount you might pick it up HERE

Thanks for the tip. It's already priced to sell. Will consider.

ImportCD only has those 10% sales twice a year, on average. Could NOT believe that with the 15% off coupon, The Mission [BD~A/CD] was reduced to $13.59 @ Deep Discount. How LOW can YOU Go?

Thanks for the tip. It's already priced to sell. Will consider.

ImportCD only has those 10% sales twice a year, on average. Could NOT believe that with the 15% off coupon, The Mission [BD~A/CD] was reduced to $13.59 @ Deep Discount. How LOW can YOU Go?

I think you are going to see more discounts from importcds...as amazon will continue it's scorched earth policy with these big discounts....amazon is STILL offering that low price on the Music from Big Pink...I'm surprised at that...I thought it was one of those temporary price drops...these other outlets have got to be feeling the heat..

I think you are going to see more discounts from importcds...as amazon will continue it's scorched earth policy with these big discounts....amazon is STILL offering that low price on the Music from Big Pink...I'm surprised at that...I thought it was one of those temporary price drops...these other outlets have got to be feeling the heat..

I'll wait for Amazon's Warehouse Deals on BIG Pink {no rush....and REALLY don't want the Vinyl]. I can live with my MLP DVD~A 5.1 for awhile.

ImportCD has THE best prices on MOST SACDs but AmazonUS excels on Blu Ray Video pricing.......can't be beat.

Gentlemen and Ladies, allow me today to present to you an album I consider an underrated and lost masterpiece.

Greg Phillinganes is mostly known for his exceptional session and concert work with Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, George Harrison, Steve Vai, and many others (he's played with almost everyone). What people don't really know is that Greg has released two splendid solo albums in the early 80's. The one I wish to bring your attention to is 1984's Pulse. The album features many talented artists like James Ingram, The Pointer Sisters, Robbie Nevil, Richard Page (of Mr. Mister) and many others.

R-152458-1133472123.jpeg.jpg

The two names I've kept for last are Michael Jackson and Donald Fagen. Michael's involvement comes with the song Behind The Mask. Wikipedia states: "Behind the Mask" is a song written and originally recorded by Japanese electronic band Yellow Magic Orchestra in 1978 and 1979 in Japan. In 1982, a cover version was recorded by American singer Michael Jackson for his album Thriller, but managerial disputes prevented its release. On February 21, 2011, the song was released by Epic Records as the third single from the posthumous album Michael."

So Greg got to record the song for his album and one can quickly hear that if the song had enjoyed some serious airplay, it would have been a hit. Everything about the songs is amazing. We can see why Michael thought it would have made a great song for him (more suitable than The Girl Is Mine in my humble opinion ;) ).

Fagen's involvement is more direct as the song Lazy Nina was "written by Donald Fagen exclusively for Phillinganes, and has never been recorded by Fagen himself". As far as I'm concerned, the song would have fitted perfectly on The Nightfly. It has the same vibe, which I love.

If you enjoy early 80's Pop and R&B, then grab this album. I think you'll dig it.

Last edited:
Gentlemen and Ladies, allow me today to present to you an album I consider an underrated and lost masterpiece.

Greg Phillinganes is mostly known for his exceptional session and concert work with Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, George Harrison, Steve Vai, and many others (he's played with almost everyone). What people don't really know is that Greg has released two splendid solo albums in the early 80's. The one I wish to bring your attention to is 1984's Pulse. The album features many talented artists like James Ingram, The Pointer Sisters, Robbie Nevil, Richard Page (of Mr. Mister) and many others.

R-152458-1133472123.jpeg.jpg

The two names I've kept for last are Michael Jackson and Donald Fagen. Michael's involvement comes with the song Behind The Mask. Wikipedia states: "Behind the Mask" is a song written and originally recorded by Japanese electronic band Yellow Magic Orchestra in 1978 and 1979 in Japan. In 1982, a cover version was recorded by American singer Michael Jackson for his album Thriller, but managerial disputes prevented its release. On February 21, 2011, the song was released by Epic Records as the third single from the posthumous album Michael."

So Greg got to record the song for his album and one can quickly hear that if the song had enjoyed some serious airplay, it would have been a hit. Everything about the songs is amazing. We can see why Michael thought it would have made a great song for him (more suitable than The Girl Is Mine in my humble opinion ;) ).

Fagen's involvement is more direct as the song Lazy Nina was "written by Donald Fagen exclusively for Phillinganes, and has never been recorded by Fagen himself". As far as I'm concerned, the song would have fitted perfectly on The Nightfly. It has the same vibe, which I love.

If you enjoy early 80's Pop and R&B, then grab this album. I think you'll dig it.

It looks like Behind the Mask and Lazy Nina are only available in vinyl:(.....Pulse and Significant Gains were released on CD....I'll check one of those out....thanks Simon A(y)

It looks like Behind the Mask and Lazy Nina are only available in vinyl:(.....Pulse and Significant Gains were released on CD....I'll check one of those out....thanks Simon A(y)

I'm pretty certain that you can order the 2016 Japan CD reissue on importCDs or JapanCDs. You can also purchase the iTunes version. :)

Just purchased a download of Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (96/24)

Here is the dynamic range per foobar. It does sound nice....

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2018-07-29 11:37:53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Traffic / John Barleycorn Must Die
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR14 0.00 dB -16.67 dB 6:59 01-Glad
DR13 0.00 dB -15.75 dB 5:31 02-Freedom Rider
DR13 0.00 dB -16.04 dB 4:38 03-Empty Pages
DR14 -0.34 dB -17.55 dB 1:33 04-I Just Want You To Know
DR13 -0.16 dB -15.27 dB 3:57 05-Stranger To Himself
DR13 -0.16 dB -16.98 dB 6:28 06-John Barleycorn
DR12 -0.17 dB -14.64 dB 7:10 07-Every Mother's Son
DR12 -1.08 dB -15.56 dB 3:25 08-Sittin' Here Thinkin' Of My Love

Number of tracks: 8
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 3112 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

================================================================================
1970'ish, right? I used to really love this album. Freedom Rider and Empty Pages. Yowsah!

I "think" I had this version when they had the re-issue program in 2014....might still have it in the "quagmire" of my music collection:unsure:..it sounded very good for a vintage recording and had the numbers too

I love OPPO, and I love their service. I am SO going to miss them....here is my love letter from them I received earlier today about my beloved BDP-103 repair... :)

Dear Gene,
We have received your OPPO product for repair per RMA # (GOS is blocking this actual number) and are currently working on it. Your product will be tested for the described problem, repaired, and tested again. Additionally, your product will be cleaned and the latest official firmware installed. Typical turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days, depending on the problem. When we ship your product back (with signature requirement), you will receive a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information.
We regret that your OPPO product required service. However, we hope that you are completely satisfied with your service experience. If you have any questions about this return, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail. When contacting us, please reference your RMA number for faster service.
Best Regards,
Customer Service

I love OPPO, and I love their service. I am SO going to miss them....here is my love letter from them I received earlier today about my beloved BDP-103 repair... :)

Dear Gene,
We have received your OPPO product for repair per RMA # (GOS is blocking this actual number) and are currently working on it. Your product will be tested for the described problem, repaired, and tested again. Additionally, your product will be cleaned and the latest official firmware installed. Typical turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days, depending on the problem. When we ship your product back (with signature requirement), you will receive a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information.
We regret that your OPPO product required service. However, we hope that you are completely satisfied with your service experience. If you have any questions about this return, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail. When contacting us, please reference your RMA number for faster service.
Best Regards,
Customer Service

Having dealth with quite a few companies over the years...I can honestly say that none have been that good...and considering that production has ceased...even more amazing(y)

Dear Gene,
Best Regards,
Customer Service

Supreme Service, Gene. We are ALL going to miss OPPO. A Class Act all the way. In the meantime, are you enjoying your 203?

Back