ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Precisely why I can't stand John Williams....it's OK to "nick" some stuff but he just ripped off all he could...and everybody loves him on top of that....

"inspired by..." :mad:@:

[video=youtube;V47enEvsafQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V47enEvsafQ[/video]

"inspired by..." :mad:@:

[video=youtube;V47enEvsafQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V47enEvsafQ[/video]

VERY clever, ji eff. So John Williams ripped off classical and Hollywood composer Erich Wolfgang Korngold's soundtrack to King's Row. http://www.bildarchivaustria.at/Bildarchiv/410/B308009T4679539.jpg

And WHO was in King's Row.....none other than the Gipper http://images.fineartamerica.com/im...gs-row-ann-sheridan-ronald-reagan-everett.jpg

While he was still CHIPPER!

Ah - some nice Chick Corea Elektric Band...great stuff man...

After you mentioned Chick Corea earlier, I went on amazon to listen to samples but got overwhelmed by the 81 digital albums to choose from... :confused:

VERY clever, ji eff. So John Williams ripped off classical and Hollywood composer Erich Wolfgang Korngold's soundtrack to King's Row. http://www.bildarchivaustria.at/Bildarchiv/410/B308009T4679539.jpg

And WHO was in King's Row.....none other than the Gipper http://images.fineartamerica.com/im...gs-row-ann-sheridan-ronald-reagan-everett.jpg

While he was still CHIPPER!

My non-U.S. origin and the fact that I "quit" tv and radio altogether when I was only 14yo are probably the reason why I had no clue about who's Gipper, and what chipper meant.

(google helped!) :p

Ah - some nice Chick Corea Elektric Band...great stuff man...

[video=youtube;QWjGhZt4Dsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWjGhZt4Dsk[/video]

this was an "early" gig, with Scott Henderson on gtr (it was later Frank Gambale for a few years)...Patitucci is a monster! (Unfortunately, a very good friend who is also a musician told me that Dave Weckl is a bit of a d*ck-and my friend is REALLY nice)

Saw them in Tanglewood, MA in 1988 (or 87...man, those brain cells... it was the "Eye of the Beholder" tour) playing a double bill with Wayne Shorter and Santana...

Last edited:
Just purchased HDTracks 24/192 stereo, The Doobie Brothers, 8 albums. I had to as a San Franciscan I know the Doobies intimately for years. If MOFI doesn't break into surround releases I think HDTracks will wipe them off the map.

Apparently not. Mobile Fidelity is safe. :)

Over on Computer Audiophile forum there is a discussion of the 2016 Doobie Brothers remasters to 24/96 and 24/196 FLAC.
The review there "Is the hires version worth the download? Well.....no. "

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...6-remasters-doobie-brothers-28590/#post543105

This isn't news... it isn't surround either... but damn I'd like to see this once in my life

[video=youtube;dhYaX01NOfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhYaX01NOfA[/video]

Intriguing what is it like? I got into Brubeck as a kid listening with my late father

This is a special disc IMO...it's one of those time machine discs that takes you back to another time...it's an event...you can tell it's a vintage recording.... in some of the quiet passages you can hear that beautiful "hiss"..which is music to my ears..it's letting me know there is no compression...the warm sound of analog is in the air...2 all time greats playing and singing in their prime...17 days before this concert Tony Bennett had just released his signature song "I left my heart in San Francisco" and Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" was already a classic and his band was named the best combo in Jazz by Down Beat magazine and disc jockeys surveyed by Billboard in 1962...so you have them at their best..and when you are speaking about Brubeck you must include his band...Paul Desmond on alto sax...Eugene Wright on bass and Joe Morello on drums...Morello is an interesting guy...he was born with partial vision(nearly blind)which made it nearly impossible to read music..he turned down both Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey and picked Dave Brubeck..
Although this is titled the White House Sessions it was held at the foot of the Washington Monument at the Sylvan Theater...most of those in attendance were college kids that had been honored by President Kennedy...if you look at the picture below... which is inside the album case... you get a shot of the crowd...the gentlemen on the far right in a suit was Pierre Salinger the press secretary for President Kennedy...

If you like these 2 performers or their music or just want to experience some vintage music done right...this disc is for you...IMO this is a special performance...it's superb...and I'm sure Gus Skinas contributed to the excellence of this project...as much as I love Tony Bennett....and he was excellent.... on this day Brubeck and his band ruled the day...the uptempo version of "take 5" gave me goose bumps

001.jpg
002.jpg

This is a special disc IMO...it's one of those time machine discs that takes you back to another time...it's an event...you can tell it's a vintage recording.... in some of the quiet passages you can hear that beautiful "hiss"..which is music to my ears..it's letting me know there is no compression...the warm sound of analog is in the air...2 all time greats playing and singing in their prime...17 days before this concert Tony Bennett had just released his signature song "I left my heart in San Francisco" and Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" was already a classic and his band was named the best combo in Jazz by Down Beat magazine and disc jockeys surveyed by Billboard in 1962...so you have them at their best..and when you are speaking about Brubeck you must include his band...Paul Desmond on alto sax...Eugene Wright on bass and Joe Morello on drums...Morello is an interesting guy...he was born with partial vision(nearly blind)which made it nearly impossible to read music..he turned down both Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey and picked Dave Brubeck..
Although this is titled the White House Sessions it was held at the foot of the Washington Monument at the Sylvan Theater...most of those in attendance were college kids that had been honored by President Kennedy...if you look at the picture below which is inside the album case you can a shot of the crowd...the gentlemen on the far right in a suit was Pierre Salinger the press secretary for President Kennedy...

If you like these 2 performers or their music or just want to experience some vintage music done right...this disc is for you...IMO this is a special performance...it's superb...and I'm sure Gus Skinas contributed to the excellence of this project...as much as I love Tony Bennett.and he was excellent.... but on this day Brubeck and his band ruled the day...the uptempo version of "take 5" gave me goose bumps

View attachment 26071
View attachment 26072

Clint, thanks for your detailed description. Should have my copy from MusicDirect sometime this week.

Great that IMPEX (whom I've NEVER heard of) has entered the SACD marketplace. I still miss ORG (I have ALL 8 of their spectacular sounding Stereo SACDs) so hopefully IMPEX will continue to dazzle us with some brilliant/esoteric titles like this.

Nice review. Its funny, I listened earlier to The Oscar Peterson Trio's "1961 Cologne Gurzenich Concert Hall" BDA (it says 5.0, but...) & Amy Whitehouse's "Back In Black" 2.0 BDA, and the 55 year old live recording of Oscar Peterson, which had good old fashioned hiss, sounded better than the modern Amy Whitehouse recording, which sonically doesn't sound right to me in comparison (compressed & not as clean IMHO), which is a shame.

Although this is titled the White House Sessions it was held at the foot of the Washington Monument at the Sylvan Theater...most of those in attendance were college kids that had been honored by President Kennedy...if you look at the picture below... which is inside the album case... you get a shot of the crowd...the gentlemen on the far right in a suit was Pierre Salinger the press secretary for President Kennedy...

If you like these 2 performers or their music or just want to experience some vintage music done right...this disc is for you...IMO this is a special performance...it's superb...and I'm sure Gus Skinas contributed to the excellence of this project...as much as I love Tony Bennett....and he was excellent.... on this day Brubeck and his band ruled the day...the uptempo version of "take 5" gave me goose bumps

View attachment 26071
View attachment 26072

This is a special disc IMO...it's one of those time machine discs that takes you back to another time...it's an event...you can tell it's a vintage recording.... in some of the quiet passages you can hear that beautiful "hiss"..which is music to my ears..

I hear you on this...

Doris Day
Glenn Miller
Harry James & Helen Forrest
Ilene Woods
Jane Morgan & the Troubadours
Jo Stafford & The Pied Pipers
Judy Garland
Margaret Whiting
Patsy Cline
Ray Noble & his Orchestra
Rosemary Clooney
Skeeter Davis
The Andrews Sisters

These artists are all "jewels" to me, and I wouldn't even want to hear them without that good ol' scratchy (mono!) needle drop "time machine" effect.

Sound quality VS performance/art... can lead to strange debates! :D

I hear you on this...

Doris Day
Glenn Miller
Ilene Woods
Judy Garland
Margaret Whiting
Patsy Cline
Rosemary Clooney
Skeeter Davis
The Andrews Sisters

These artists are all "jewels" to me, and I wouldn't even want to hear them without that good ol' scratchy (mono!) needle drop "time machine" effect.

I hear ya, ji eff....but let's be honest: they weren't recorded with scratches and swishes in mind. It's like driving a car with a bad tank of gas. I LOVE what the motion picture industry has accomplished in restoring older silent films. When they were originally shown they were pristine prints and the ravages of time have demolished their luster only to be painstakingly restored frame by frame to their almost original stature.

In the end, it's the music that does count but modern restorations in higher res can do wonders! Debussy.....Ravel...with ticks and pops.......Nah, give me a pristine restoration any time! Besides, hissing is for snakes!

I hear you on this...

Doris Day
Glenn Miller
Ilene Woods
Judy Garland
Margaret Whiting
Patsy Cline
Rosemary Clooney
Skeeter Davis
The Andrews Sisters

I don't like country music...BUT...there are some individuals that are an exception to that rule...one of them is Patsy Cline...if you like her...you NEED to have this disc...it's is superb

I hear ya, ji eff....but let's be honest: they weren't recorded with scratches and swishes in mind. It's like driving a car with a bad tank of gas. I LOVE what the motion picture industry has accomplished in restoring older silent films. When they were originally shown they were pristine prints and the ravages of time have demolished their luster only to be painstakingly restored frame by frame to their almost original stature.

In the end, it's the music that does count but modern restorations in higher res can do wonders! Debussy.....Ravel...with ticks and pops.......Nah, give me a pristine restoration any time! Besides, hissing is for snakes!

Perhaps, but too many times have I stumbled across a so-called "restoration" only to hear all its life practically sucked-out by noise reduction devices. Audio restoration can only go a certain length... after that important frequencies are basically cut/missing. (I checked myself with spectrum analysers to see if my ears were fooling me)

Heck, I even ran into issues with musicians sometimes because I stand against any use of noise reduction on what I lay my hands on.

Anyway, I think a few recordings by some of the artists I mentioned here even pre-date generalized magnetic tape use. I know they didn't perform these pieces sounding like that "live".. But I'm sure they were damn proud that they could listen to them on wind-up gramophones :)

I don't like country music...BUT...there are some individuals that are an exception to that rule...one of them is Patsy Cline...if you like her...you NEED to have this disc...it's is superb

Thank you for this recommendation! I'll probably jump on this as soon as my budget allows. At the moment though, I can barely afford to eat for the next 3-4 months... serious! :yikes

Kids... if you like luxury and living the fat cat life... DO NOT CHOOSE MUSIC AS A CAREER PATH !!! :confused:

Back