ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like country music...BUT...there are some individuals that are an exception to that rule...one of them is Patsy Cline...if you like her...you NEED to have this disc...it's is superb

Also available as a Stereo DSD Downoad from Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez. An excellent Analog to DSD transfer by Sterling Sound.
"Mastered at Sterling Sound direct from the 1/4-inch master tape. This was a straight transfer, bypassing the console altogether. There was no EQ of any kind. A true direct transfer. You're hearing the master tape!"
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/93718/Patsy_Cline-Greatest_Hits-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Also available as a Stereo DSD Downoad from Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez. An excellent Analog to DSD transfer by Sterling Sound.
"Mastered at Sterling Sound direct from the 1/4-inch master tape. This was a straight transfer, bypassing the console altogether. There was no EQ of any kind. A true direct transfer. You're hearing the master tape!"
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/93718/Patsy_Cline-Greatest_Hits-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Hmmm... I think this download option could suit my needs even better!

One question though; are there any free DSD software players for Win10? (maybe foobar2000 can already do this and I'm not aware of it)

Thank you, friendly neighbourhood moderator :upthumb

Hmmm... I think this download option could suit my needs even better!

One question though; are there any free DSD software players for Win10? (maybe foobar2000 can already do this and I'm not aware of it)

Thank you, friendly neighbourhood moderator :upthumb

Yes, Foobar will work under Windows 10 and its free.

Also available for Windows as Free players are BHE and Hysolid. Although they are more techy than Foobar.
There is a list of music download players for DSD on the DSD Database, DSD Software & Playback tab at http://nativedsd.com/database

On the Patsy Cline DSD Download, it is excellent. In fact, it was one of the first of the Analogue Productions remasters that Acoustic Sounds released as a DSD Download when launching that web site in the Fall of 2013.
Still a favorite here.

Yes, Foobar will work under Windows 10 and its free.

Also available for Windows as Free players are BHE and Hysolid. Although they are more techy than Foobar.
There is a list of music download players for DSD on the DSD Database, DSD Software & Playback tab at http://nativedsd.com/database

On the Patsy Cline DSD Download, it is excellent. In fact, it was one of the first of the Analogue Productions remasters that Acoustic Sounds released as a DSD Download when launching that web site in the Fall of 2013.
Still a favorite here.

Great! I already swear by Foobar only, just haven't had the chance to play DSD yet.

I did compare my favorite Patsy Cline songs with the audio samples on the DSD album page, and it sounds incredibly good (and clean!), and the samples are mp3s.. :)

Thank you very much! (you too, Clint!)

This came today

002.jpg
003.jpg

VERY hissy, Clint. Haven't heard this much hiss in eons. Wonder if the master tapes were utilized?

The "hiss" is usually an indication that it was taken from the original source...in this case there is no doubt..it was taken from the original tapes by Joe Reagoso(Friday Music Studios) and Ron McMaster(Capitol) in California...I can't remember a time when I found "hiss" to be distracting..it just conveys a much warmer sound than trying to use modern(but still too heavy handed)methods to "clean" up the recording...it just takes you one more step from originality...and despite what claims are made when these techniques are used it does affect the sound...it's much more organic this way...

VERY hissy, Clint. Haven't heard this much hiss in eons. Wonder if the master tapes were utilized?

lol :D

I know... :blush:

*Oh! by Clint's response, you WERE serious.. thought you were makin' fun of my "perverted" convictions! :banana:

The "hiss" is usually an indication that it was taken from the original source...in this case there is no doubt..it was taken from the original tapes by Joe Reagoso(Friday Music Studios) and Ron McMaster(Capitol) in California...I can't remember a time when I found "hiss" to be distracting..it just conveys a much warmer sound than trying to use modern(but still too heavy handed)methods to "clean" up the recording...it just takes you one more step from originality...and despite what claims are made when these techniques are used it does affect the sound...it's much more organic this way...

American Pie reminds me of the flick "Snakes on a Plane." WAY too much hiss for my taste. It's a very quiet album and is very distracting. OTOH, Timeless and Enigma sound FLAWLESS (but of course they were much later recordings). Oh, Well.

Yes, Clint: hiss can be healthy but it's as though I'm hearing it while taking a shower! Oops, I just got soap in my eye.

Maybe it's time to drive my Chevy to the Levee..........:cool:

American Pie reminds me of the flick "Snakes on a Plane." WAY too much hiss for my taste. It's a very quiet album and is very distracting. OTOH, Timeless and Enigma sound FLAWLESS (but of course they were much later recordings). Oh, Well.

Yes, Clint: hiss can be healthy but it's as though I'm hearing it while taking a shower! Oops, I just got soap in my eye.

When you have 45 year old tapes to work with...sometimes it's unavoidable...in my case I appreciate the clarity and don't need that sound filtered into dust...

When you have 45 year old tapes to work with...sometimes it's unavoidable...in my case I appreciate the clarity and don't need that sound filtered into dust...

I have a ton of much older recordings on SACD which don't exhibit nearly as much hiss. And yes, I hate noise reduction but American Pie must've been recorded on crappy tape with a noisy sound board. Still, a great album.

As I mentioned in another post, I heard McLean perform American Pie live (just he and his acoustic guitar) in a VERY small upstate New York bar in the early 70's. Thankfully.....no hiss....just the clinking of glasses:brew

I have a ton of much older recordings on SACD which don't exhibit nearly as much hiss. And yes, I hate noise reduction but American Pie must've been recorded on crappy tape with a noisy sound board. Still, a great album.

As I mentioned in another post, I heard McLean perform American Pie live (just he and his acoustic guitar) in a VERY small upstate New York bar in the early 70's. Thankfully.....no hiss....just the clinking of glasses:brew

All tapes are certainly not equal...especially for performers who really had never proven themselves....I'm sure it was a shoe string budget deal....sounds cool seeing him in a small setting...I had no idea what the words "implied" back in the day...it was years after I first heard the song that various interpretations about the verses surfaced....mainly the loss of Buddy Holly...some interesting tidbits revealed HERE

They have been talking about this for over a decade....finally it starts...very slowly...HERE

The CBS Morning News in New York has been doing a series on Virtual Reality by interviewing all the 'visionaries' involved in finally bring this to market. Some say it will take a few years to perfect.

As if REALITY itself...isn't enuf? It's bad enough people 'wander' around listening through their headphones oblivious to the world around them and text while walking or driving. ANOTHER DISTRACTION? And in the wrong hands......a dangerous tool?

The CBS Morning News in New York has been doing a series on Virtual Reality by interviewing all the 'visionaries' involved in finally bring this to market. Some say it will take a few years to perfect.

As if REALITY itself...isn't enuf? It's bad enough people 'wander' around listening through their headphones oblivious to the world around them and text while walking or driving. ANOTHER DISTRACTION? And in the wrong hands......a dangerous tool?
Any tool, misused, runs the risk of being dangerous. Only people can decide to use technology wisely, safely. In other words, the people are to blame; not the tool. What about fire way back in man's early history? Imagine the arguments that must have been going on about that at the time.

I hit the jackpot today with my MusicDirect shipment of 6 discs: The Cars, Venessa Fernandez: When the Levee Breaks* ( an acoustic Led Zep tribute), Brubeck/Bennett: The White House Sessions, Mancini: Peter Gunn soundtrack, Leopold Stokowski: Rhapsodies and Jeff Beck Wired. Also received confirmation that AF's QUAD Sampler, The Collection has been shipped (yesterday).

Should keep me busy for awhile.

*Also available on 3 45rpm Vinyl discs....read the review at Audiophile Audition: http://www.audaud.com/vanessa-fernandez-when-the-levee-breaks-groove-note-3-45-rpm-vinyls/

Back