Chicago and Donald Fagen

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
From musictap.net:
-------------------------------------------------------

Up on June 24 are DVD-Audio versions of Chicago II and Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad. The discs are from Rhino Records.

Chicago II features the popular songs, "Colour My World", "25 or 6 to 4", and "Make Me Smile". Additionally, you can expect the disc to include Advanced Resolution 5.1 Surround 96/24k as well as a 192k Advanced Resolution Stereo mix.

Steely Dan's Donald Fagen gets his Kamakiriad redone in 48/24k Advanced Resolution for both 5.1 Surround and Stereo. This 1993 solo outing will also contain videos for "Snowbound" and "Tomorrow's Girls". There is also a 'Behind The Scenes' for the making of the album and of the video, "Tomorrow's Girls".

------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how Chicago will sound on DVD-A. Some of the early stuff sounded pretty horrible on vinyl. Make Me Smile, if I recall, sounded like it was played thru a transistor radio!

With fingers crossed, I will be waiting for both of these releases. The Fagen is actually a very good disc, it took me a while to get to like it, but after a while it grew on me. I will definatly play this one first, all the way through!

I've got Chicago II Quad DTS cd... sounds fine, if not amazing. I do love the album tho. Weird they're doing II first, I'd love I and II to be released, as they're really one long album...

Seems Steely Dan fans are the luckiest in this format, with a whole tonnes of multi-chanel stuff thrown their way.

Well I wouldn't say "tonnes" or even "tons".

We have 2VN, and The Nightfly out, with Everything Must Go and Kamakariad releases eminent.

REM fans will likely be doing best by years end, with 8 or 9 of their titles available on DVD-A.

Regards,

Gaucho, too, don't forget... :)

Just seems like a lot... heh.

Gaucho is supposed to be an SACD release, although it has been said that all production work was done at 24/96K.

Gotta love that.

Never mind that I would have preferred Aja or Katy Lied ;)

Regards,

Both of these are now listed on the Rhino site for June 24.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Nah, Nah! "Countdown to Ecstacy" is the one I want to hear in 5.1 .[/quote]

That is my number 1 pick as well

AJA'S the one I'm waiting on!

Will be interesting to hear what Chicago II will sound like in Hi Rez as i've alway found it to be a very compressed sounding CD! Either way am salivating on hearing FANCY COLORS in surround! Does anyone know whose done the surround mix for this one?

this is from www.chicagotheband.com

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Chicago II DVD-Audio

Their second double album delivered more hits and upped the artistic ante with its "Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon," a suite of pop songs emulating the form of the great classical composers. Also includes as bonus tracks the single versions of "Make Me Smile" and "25 Or 6 To 4."

<strong>5.1 mix produced under the supervision of Lee Loughnane. Bonus content includes a gallery with many previously unpublished photos.</strong>

This DVD-Audio release has been mixed from the original multi-track master tapes to create the best, most dynamic sound possible. Complete with stereo and surround sound mixes (both standard and audiophile advanced resolution quality), along with bonus video, text, and still imagery content, this disc is playable in any DVD player. However, in order to access the audiophile quality advanced resolution mixes, your DVD player must be DVD-Audio compatible. Interactive menus will guide you through the songs and, when available, additional audio or visual content though it is not necessary to view the menus on the screen in order to enjoy the music as the disc can function just like a standard CD if dropped into the player. It's important to note that DVD-Audio products will not play on conventional CD players.[/quote]

According to circuitcity.com, Chicago II has been pushed back another 3 weeks to 7/16:( . Odd that that date is actually a Wednesday? Usually new releases are always on Tuesdays...

Jonathan

Happy to report that I erred:) ...the 7/16 release date was for last year's CD remaster release, not the upcoming DVD-A.

Let's all hope that 6/24 holds true!;)

I heard a few cuts today from II.....they didn't sound too bad....I'm remembering my vinyl Greatest Hits.....which sounded pretty lousy for the most part. Hopefully the 5.1 mix will really open things up

For what it’s worth, I have copies of both Donald Fagen’s ‘<em>Kamakiriad</em>’ and ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’ – don’t all rush forward at once!

On the technical side, both have multi-channel and stereo tracks. In the case of ‘<em>Kamakiriad</em>’ they’re both 48kHz 24-bit. ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’ is a bit special, the multi-channel is 96kHz 24-bit whereas the two-channel is 192kHz 24-bit. More like this please…

Stuart M. Robinson
Publisher & Editor, High Fidelity Review
www.highfidelityreview.com/

Hi Stuart... You lucky dog!!!!

So how is the Chicago II M/C mix?? Does it sound any better than the original cd? Please tell me they fixed the midrangy compressed sound of the original cds..... please!!!???

thanks

Love your site too!!

Bob

Stuart!!!!!
You must love holding up a piece of bacon to a salivating dog!!!! YOU'RE KILLING US!
Can we expect a review soon? Like today? Please?

I agree with romanotrax....I hope it's not as compressed sounding as I remember the vinyl/cd was.

Also, it will be interesting to see when WE get it up here in Toronto.....it will be easier to buy a dimebag than to get a proper release date! I know, I know.....you're sick of hearing it, but it's frustrating!
:cool:

Good news, Stuart. Thanks for sharing that. At least if YOU have them, we might get them on time (or at least on time with respect to next Tuesday)

Stuart, have you ever heard the Q8 of C2? I wonder if it is the same mix?

:-jon

‘<em>Kamakiriad</em>’, at “only” 48kHz sounds great; I haven’t spent much time scrutinising the multi-channel mix but the fidelity is excellent.

I can’t reveal much about ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’ (sworn to secrecy), but let’s just say that I have no idea how it sounds and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the U.S. release date slip. Read into that what you will.

Stuart M. Robinson
Publisher & Editor, High Fidelity Review
www.highfidelityreview.com/

Stuart,

Once again, WB chooses not to monkey too much with the original sampling frequency for a recording with Fagen's Kamakariad. I for one prefer that they don't do an arbitrary sample rate conversion simply to get the 24/192K light to come on for stereo recordings.

As for Chicago <strong>II</strong>'s US release date, a couple of acquaintances on the screeners list received their copies of both <strong>Kamakariad</strong> and <strong>II</strong>. This usually indicates release is 1 week away.

Personally I'm wondering how much good 24/192K will do, as I've never heard a good sound on this disc on vinyl or CD.

Regards,

Back