Chicago and Donald Fagen

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuart

I'm intrigued. The copy of Chicago II I picked up in Amsterdam was almost definitely an American import. It's quite common to pick DVD and music on the Saturday before the US release. I listened again and it still sounds incredible.

I'm away from main base and the system I am listening to is low end.

If I have been shortchanged I would love to know what I am looking for. I could describe my copy in the same way you have done particularly the horns.

Richard M.

Well I received my circuitcity.com order today and put the Chicago disc in. Like some others have said, it sounds very good. This is a reference DVD-A. So Stuart, what is wrong here? The only odd thing I notice is everything simply says Chicago. The spine and jacket make no mention of this being Chicago II.

There really is no such thing as Chicago II. Their first LP was titled Chicago Transit Authority. For the second release, the name was shortened to Chicago. So, it really was their first release with the new name. Oddly enough, the next LP was titled "Chicago III"! More importantly, I'm glad to hear of the great review! Thanks.

I am confused too......I think the webmaster at Highfidelityreview fled the country......ANYONE HOME OVER THERE?!?!?!? It's been the same thing for weeks! REVIEWS?!?! PLEEEEZE!

Both the Chicago and Donald Fagen discs had issues which had to be queried before reviews could be finalised.

Expect reviews very shortly...

I can't speak for the webmaster at High Fidelity Review, but I did post some articles there over the last few days. So there is indeed new material on the web site.

I think I have figured out the issue with Chicago II. It's the bass. It doesn't seem to be equilized quite right. In order to tame it and still have adequate bass I had to set all my speakers to large so no extra bass would be sent to the subwoofer and decrease the subwoofer a few notches below what it usually is. It still has some boomy sections even at that. Other than that everything else sounds fantastic. I have never heard Chicago this good.

Guys,

Here’s the deal on ‘<em>Chicago</em>’. The labelling is correct, the real disc title is ‘<em>Chicago</em>’, it’s just that it is commonly referred to as ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’. There are <span style="text-decoration:underline">no</span> audio issues with the disc or problems with any of its content.

The original replication had issues – these were the discs sent out to reviewers and industry members such as myself. However, there was just enough time to prevent those discs reaching the retail chain and another run was sent to stores. The European copy came from that run, as did a second copy sent to us earlier this week.

So, because of some incredibly fast thinking on Warner Bros. part and the feedback they received on the first batch, disaster was averted. Personally, I’m amazed due to the restrictive timescale, but happy to be wrong. I’ve just confirmed this with Warner Bros. so we’re good to go.

Why the likes of DVD Empire aren’t shipping remains a mystery, perhaps Warner couldn’t press enough replacement discs in time, but they didn’t know either.

On the subject of High Fidelity Review, there isn’t a webmaster as such, content can by added by administrators in real time without HTML coding. News stories are added continuously and reviews when written. I’d much rather publish fewer in-depth reviews than dozens of brief summaries.

Stuart M. Robinson
Publisher & Editor, High Fidelity Review
www.highfidelityreview.com/

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The original replication had issues – these were the discs sent out to reviewers and industry members such as myself. However, there was just enough time to prevent those discs reaching the retail chain and another run was sent to stores. The European copy came from that run, as did a second copy sent to us earlier this week... disaster was averted...[/quote]

Hi Stuart

If you can say... what kind of issues and what kind of disaster?? Curious minds want to know please?

Thanks
Bob

Went to local Media Play where I buy most of my DVD-A's and they didn't have Chicago. They had the Fagen but no go on II. They are usually very good at getting in DVD-A's on the release date but none of the three stores in the area received the Chicago disc. Was there a delay going out to stores? Anyway, I just ordered it from Circuit City (which I should have done in the first place) they have it in stock and should get it by the end of the week.

Okay I have read all the posts since my last one and I have now, as of 5 minutes ago. listened to the entire disc. The bass is very good with the adjustments. It's nice to hear notes approaching that of the bottom end of a pipe organ on a Rock disc. I still have a problem with this disc though. The mix from "Fancy Colours" to the end seems different than the first half. More open, natural and warmer. There are sections that sound as good as anything else that I have on DVD-A. This is definately a keeper but I am not sure why there appears to be this difference. Maybe through time.............

I too had trouble finding the Chicago disc. I tried Borders, Best Buy, three Media Play locations and four local indy stores. Two Media Play's had Donald Fagen, but I lucked out at the last one and found a single Chicago disc.

I was going to order online but I feared I might be in backorder hell if the disc was delayed. Turns out I would have been better off doing mail order. Who knew!

By the way, one of the regional chain stores I shop at told me today "we've actually been cutting back on DVD-A because the don't sell". That's a bummer! But also the consequence of a store who puts them behind a locked glass case on a side wall with no explanation of what they actually are!

I received two screeners on Chicago II -- and the first had a defect in the pressing which rendered the TOC unreadable.

The second I haven't put into my player.

Regards,

Why does my stereo track read 24/96 on my JVC when it's suppose to read 24/192??

ARRRGH! I can't find this title anywhere and just received an email from circuitcity.com that my order status has been changed to Back Order. Anyone know of availability anywhere online?

Just had mine shipped from CDconnection.com. It's a California outfit that I have used a few times before without any problems. Good Luck!

I have to concur with you about the bass! Seriously it sounds like Daniel Seraphine's kick drum is coming right through my living room! Especially harshly on POEM FOR THE PEOPLE, 25 OR 6 TO 4 and some others!

Aside from the bass issue it sounds better than this album ever has on ANY format! I like the mix and it really brings out all the instruments and the placement is logical. It's not an Elliot Schenier mix but it's not a lazy mix either! I really love how they spread the lead vocals and how they placed the group vocals!

Special mention must go to the movement of the placements of the wind chimes on FANCY COLORS! Very impressive!

Overall a very good product and a highly recommend from me!!

David

Back