Chicago and Donald Fagen

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Stuart,
I am reading into your comments that the mix of Chicago II is not good and they have to go back to the drawing board, hence the delay.

That's a great sign that they will most likely be in stores on Tuesday!

John,

I tend to agree with you about not changing the native sample rate of legacy recordings (unless they require the move from 44.1 to 48kHz PCM), but arguably there might be some merit to the up-sampling process, other than bragging rights.

I’ve also got a copy of ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’, which is why I doubt it will ship next week. However, I’ll be really pleased to be proven wrong.

Guy,

The problem with ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’ isn’t the mix. I expect the surround version will be excellent, given the team behind it.

Stuart M. Robinson
Publisher & Editor, High Fidelity Review
www.highfidelityreview.com/

So obviously there is something amiss with the Chicago II DVD-A release. So now I have to assume that there are some digital noises on the final version which deter from the final product.

Stuart,

The change from 44.1 to 48K isn't mandated, 44.1K is a permissible fs for DVD-Audio (but not DVD-Video).

The problem with upsampling, is that some gear does a better job of upsampling than others, and if you use an upsampler that does a poor job, you're left with a poor result.

It is far safer to simply leave fs as it was IMO (where possible) and take advantage of higher quality mastering gear available today.

We'll see on the Chicago II release date.

Regards,

Well if it means something, my copy of Chicago II shipped today. So looks like it will be out there?

So what is the issue with the disc if not the mix?

DSJ,

Stuart and his staff usually get their information correct. It is possible that his (Stuart's) source was misinformed. I've also had a report that shipment was made on my copy.

Regards,

Also just got the email from circuitcity.com that my copy has shipped. I hope everything is O.K. with this disc:) !

Early Chicago is a favorite of mine...

Jonathan

These press releases provide some info on the contents, production, etc. Note the stereo mix for Chicago II is referred to as 192/24 in the review, and as 96/24 in the "Disc Content" listing.
www.noblepr.co.uk/dvd_audio.htm

I picked up copies of Chicago II DVDA , Kamakariad DVD A and Norah Jones SACD in Amsterdam (NL) early Saturday. Of the three Norah Jones was disapointing. Muted and little surround except on one track.

The Donald Fagen disc was excellent as expected. Its only one listen so far but the big surprise was the Chicago disc. On first listen its very impressive, clear and spacious for the first time and a discrete high fidelity immersive surround mix at least on my system. It appeared superior to Kamikariad.I don't want to put expectations up but I will be interested in other comments.

Its a small risk as it is probably Chicago's best album together with CTA.

OMG if this is true about CHICAGO II then i'm really psyched for Tuesday! This album has always sounded compressed and if it sounds opened up just slightly this is a wonderfull revelation! And the fact that you say the surrounds are involving has me really excited!

It's mine on Tuesday!!!

David

Guys,

Just to clarify, I wasn’t actually officially informed of a delay to ‘<em>Chicago II</em>’, that was my own assumption having received a copy and discussed a number of “issues” with its producers. When I asked for an official confirmation of the release date from Warner Music Group, they fell silent, which is pretty much typical.

Unless all the discs released to stores were recalled and repressed within the space of a few days, I don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this, and for what it’s worth I see DVD Empire now has the disc listed as: “TBA: Release date to be announced”.

The good news is that I received a second, promotional pressing from Europe on Friday and it is excellent, not a hint of compression and the recording sounds amazing for its age. The horns practically fizz and all the instruments are instantly identifiable, whereas on the CD they really have no individuality.

By-the-way, Patrick spotted that despite indication to the contrary on the packaging, the two-channel and multi-channel tracks on ‘<em>Kamakiriad</em>’ are actually 96kHz 24-bit.

Stuart M. Robinson
Publisher & Editor, High Fidelity Review
www.highfidelityreview.com/

This is exciting news on the sound quality. Was listening to the CD today and hoping to retire it on Tuesday. Let's hope you had gotten a bad copy and that it streets on time!

I have had a response from WSM about the sampling rates on Kamakiriad. The reason that the artwork states 24/48 is that that was the resolution for the transfer and mix. The reason that the disc indicates 24/96 is that Bob Ludwig mastered it at this resolution.

It's an interesting one this, and I will attempt to contact Mr. Ludwig about it.

96/24 eh? They must have pressed it from an analog master then since the original master was I believe digital. I doubt they upsampled the digital master from 48k to 96k.

Just had a confirmation from Bob, in comon with the new Gaucho mix, Elliot Schiener finalised his mix to 6 tracks of 2" 8 track.

Politically perfect - any of his mixes can thus be mastered to either format at the drop of a hat, with no PCM to DSD (or vice versa) bullshit.

Stuart,
You are killing me. You have already alluded to problems with at least the North American version. Can you not be more specific in your role as a reviewer what is the issue. If I see this disc tomorrow I would love to pick it up but now I don't know what to do. I also noticed that amazon.com does not have it listed either. Based on the fact that the European version you received is okay, I now assume that there is some problem with the actual disc. Maybe something similar to the "Crest Issue" rearing it's ugly head.

Just picked up Chicago II at a local independent store.

On first listen, all I can say is WOW!!! I know it's pretty technical but...

Now, remember that I am only listening to the Dolby Digital track but the difference between this surround mix and the earlier versions are like night and day. This sounds like it was recorded yesterday to my ears. I had no idea that the kick drum on 25 or 6 to 4 was playing 16th notes all these years. The bass licks just pop out at you. With this disc you will be able you hear just how good a bass player Peter Cetera was.

The only thing I can say is that the horns still sound a little "compressed" but that may be due to the recording techniques used.

And only $13.99 at the store I went to.

By the way, the package doesn't list it but there is also a DD 2.0 mix on the disc as well. It also sounds nice. I will have to do an A/B with the newly remastered cd to see if it is better.

I thought the quad sounded good... to me, this sounds incredible.

Well it's off to check out the Donald Fagen.

PS... so what is the problem with Chicago II anyway? I didn't hear it.

Back