Dan Hicks - Strikin It Rich - difference between vinyl and CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Tonight, I was testing my recently acquired Oppo DVD player's internal Dolby Pro Logic II decoding. I wanted to hear how a QS encoded recording would sound using that rather than my amplifier's DPL II decoding. For the test, I grabbed my CD of Dan Hicks' "Strikin' It Rich." I had intended to compare it to my DTS CD that was made from a decoding of the CD using an Adobe Audition script. By mistake, I grabbed the disc with my A.A. decoding of my original *vinyl* copy of the album. And then I noticed something.

At 1:13 in the song "Walkin' One and Only," there is a solo. On my CD, it is a guitar only, in the right channel. On the disc with my decoded vinyl, this solo is doubled by a violin in the left channel. It's not some weird ghosting; it's loud and clear. Sadly, I no longer have the vinyl of this album. If anyone has both the vinyl and the CD of this album, will you please check this for me? Does the CD have an alternate mix of this song? Or did my vinyl copy have an alternate mix?

J. D.

Back