DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Division Bell - Pink Floyd (DTS & DD 5.1, 2.0 LPCM DVD-V).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 186
Orbital - The Altogether 5.1 DVD-V. Pal region coded. I removed the region coding via AnyDVD HD and reburned to DVD R. Plays fine on my Oppo 103. Very effective surround mix albeit in plain ol' DTS. Fairly accessible Electronica. The authoring is a bit overly clever with alot of bonus content in hidden easter eggs. Not too complicated to figure out but it becomes a bit tedious after repeated viewing. I ended up extracting the audio files to MC Flac for streaming via home network. Definitely a worthwhile addition if you can get around PAL and the region coding.

BTW - the liner notes in the DVD booklet are quite interesting from a multichannel perspective. Keeping in mind that this was recorded in 2001 (completely flew under my radar for all these years!). This album was recorded specifically with a mulitchannel output in mind. Here's a little excerpt;

"First there was mono, then came stereo, and now there's 5.1 surround sound. With the advent of the DVD format came an opportunity for us to explore surround sound panning. We have a close relationship with The Strongroom, who were one of the first studios in London to invest in surround sound technology. This where we chose to record our first 5.1 album.

Recording in 5.1 enabled us to place a sound almost anywhere and send it flying accross the room. It also allowed us the extra breathing space and dimension for sound and composition. It was mind blowing and fantastic fun..."

While less prolific, Orbital continues to record and the Strongroom in still in business- however, this was the first and last Orbital release to be released in 5.1. The Strongroom facilities (http://www.strongroom.com/selected-discography/) were used for some other 5.1 mixes most notably Depeche Mode's Music for the Masses and the Groove Armada releases but nothing else in quite some time.

I would have to say that their initial enthusiasm for 5.1 has waned a bit.

...plus check Dave Pemberton's website (he did the 5.1 mix of Altogether):

KASABIAN - 5.1 mix of 1st Album, Live mixes for MTV 2, BMG
KINOBE - Album 'Wide Open Mind' for stereo and 5.1 (Co/produced/Mixed) Jive
ROBYN - 'Don't Stop The Music (Mixed Stereo and 5.1) Zomba Records

Last edited:
Finally picked up a brand new Roxy Music Avalon multi channel SACD, do it all, wash your car and do the dishes disc:woopie I lost out on some used copies recently but I kept plugging away until I stumbled upon this new one:banana:

Finally picked up a brand new Roxy Music Avalon multi channel SACD, do it all, wash your car and do the dishes disc:woopie I lost out on some used copies recently but I kept plugging away until I stumbled upon this new one:banana:

Nice one, Clint. Wish I could be so lucky!

btw, are you the collector with no name? ;

The song Avalon sure plays nice in 5.1 specially the girl does her little scream section that came out of the back left speaker totally Amazing ...

Back