ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think it's possible that by then they may do it right with the Razor & Tie edition, because of the uproar that the UK edition will have caused. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I'm holding off until that one comes out...

...The description in their webstore indicates the "Super Sonic" DVD-A.

http://razorandtie.merchnow.com/products/166324

I think it's possible that by then they may do it right with the Razor & Tie edition, because of the uproar that the UK edition will have caused. Wishful thinking? Maybe. I'm holding off until that one comes out...

...The description in their webstore indicates the "Super Sonic" DVD-A.

http://razorandtie.merchnow.com/products/166324

It may say super sonic, but what it doesn't say is 5.1- just MLB (sic) lossless 24/96 and LPCM 24/96.

It may say super sonic, but what it doesn't say is 5.1- just MLB (sic) lossless 24/96 and LPCM 24/96.

Yes, but there is an earlier post on this thread that distinguishes between the Super Stereo and the Super Sonic DVDs. So, this is a positive sign. Again, I'm waiting until it's actually released - I'm still skeptical.

I can tell you with near certainty that this DVD does not contain the 5.1 mix. I preordered it in February, and cancelled the preorder when I got this letter 12 days ago:

MerchNow
Dear Valued Customer,

First and foremost thank you for your purchase of the Emerson Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Edition.

We received several requests for information on the sound mix for DVD-A. We checked with the record label yesterday and received information we passed along to those who had requested. We spoke with the record label a second time today about this issue and were just informed that the original information we were given was incorrect and that this item will NOT include the 5.1 surround sound mix.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused, the information provided is directly from the record label themselves.

If you have any questions, or need to update your address/information on the order.
Please email us at [email protected] with your order number & information regarding the changes you need made.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

-Merchnow Staff
follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend
Copyright © 2014 MerchNow, All rights reserved.
Emerson Lake and Palmer Pre-order
Our mailing address is:
MerchNow
136 Fuller Road
Albany, NY 12205

Add us to your address book

Sorry for the bad news,

Josh

P.S. I've been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post. I'll send a proper introductory post soon, but I thought people would want to know the contents of this letter now.

ELP are now claiming on their Facebook page that there are only 40 copies left of the Super Deluxe Edition of "Brain Salad Surgery".

Therefore, if you want it for the 5.1 mix, get it now.

It really is not as bad as a lot of people claim it is. Yes, the bass issue in "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" is a big problem, but the rest of the tracks sound amazing in 5.1, and I think the mix is definitely better than the even more expensive and out-of-print 2000 DVD-A mix.

Choose wisely! :)

ELP are now claiming on their Facebook page that there are only 40 copies left of the Super Deluxe Edition of "Brain Salad Surgery".

It really is not as bad as a lot of people claim it is. Yes, the bass issue in "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" is a big problem, but the rest of the tracks sound amazing in 5.1, and I think the mix is definitely better than the even more expensive and out-of-print 2000 DVD-A mix.

I wonder..

1.) How many of the SDE were made,

2.) Why the SDE wasn't billed as a "Limited Edition" or numbered (afaik) if that's what it actually is,

3.) How many people bought the SDE for the 5.1 in the first instance,

4.) How many people have bought the SDE (who weren't initially going to buy it) since they discovered the 5.1 wasn't going to be included in the 3-disc set,

5.) If sales of the SDE have met with or exceeded expectations,

6.) If the relative sales success of the BSS SDE means Trilogy in 5.1 will only appear now in an SDE, if it happens at all,

7.) If the likes of Sony, ELP et al are even aware of the ill-feeling that the apparent 5.1 'bait and switch' fiasco has caused..?

I wonder..

2.) Why the SDE wasn't billed as a "Limited Edition" or numbered (afaik) if that's what it actually is,

4.) How many people have bought the SDE (who weren't initially going to buy it) since they discovered the 5.1 wasn't going to be included in the 3-disc set,

6.) If the relative sales success of the BSS SDE means Trilogy in 5.1 will only appear now in an SDE, if it happens at all,

7.) If the likes of Sony, ELP et al are even aware of the ill-feeling that the apparent 5.1 'bait and switch' fiasco has caused..?

I fit in under number 4... :mad:

I hope number 6 doesn't eventuate...

Don't care. Won't buy the overpriced box when all I want is the new 5.1
but WILL buy a reasonably priced 5.1 disc if it becomes available. :)

I wonder..

I wonder how many pre-ordered the 3-disc version and then cancelled upon learning there was no 5.1.

I wonder how many pre-ordered the 3-disc version and then cancelled upon learning there was no 5.1.

I wonder how many ordered the 3 disk set for the 5.1 and won't find out they're not getting that until their order arrives, having no idea what has transpired since they placed their order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W T F. Amazon USA says 5.1 mix is in the 3-disk. Please tell me what's up. I will spend the money if I have to for the 5.1 but I don't need or want all the extras in the super duper deluxe.

This can't be right, Burning Shed I think have recently had more stock of this in! Interestingly Burning Shed are showing the 3 disc version as not available, so perhaps they aren't stocking it as there is no demand for that version now the truth is out!

W T F. Amazon USA says 5.1 mix is in the 3-disk. Please tell me what's up. I will spend the money if I have to for the 5.1 but I don't need or want all the extras in the super duper deluxe.

I'm relying on Neil:

This is incorrect.
The *only* way to get the 5.1 version is in the Box Set.
The 2CD/DVD version contains 24/96 stereo (Original Mix Remastered & New Jakko Mix) only.

Amazon US is out of stock but you can still purchase this via Amazon UK. I bought mine through the UK store and it arrived with a nice scratch across the front cover as a bonus.

"Creepin around the cowshit at 3am doesn't seem very wise to me..." - Monty Python Life Of Brian

Now, my good friend I will take issue with the wisdom in your post. ;)

It really is not as bad as a lot of people claim it is. Yes, the bass issue in "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" is a big problem.

This sentence is not even logically possible. :mad:@: And it is always cause for concern when a handsome young lad takes on the masses trying to set them straight.

I think the mix is definitely better than the even more expensive and out-of-print 2000 DVD-A mix.

Putting aside the fact that KE9 3rd impression was ruined, the rest of the mix has the vocals too centered so they have lost their depth & warmth. Big problem as well. ;)

But like I said prior. Benny The Bouncer is spot on. Its great to have that fixed. For me, I love Keith's ragtime songs like Benny & Jeremy Bender...

RT my lad, the difference between you and I is that I make posts that are silly on purpose. :yikes

:smokin

All kidding aside, we all have lost on this debacle of a box set release. I look at the box on my shelf with its cheap paper sleeves and I like it less every day. What a waste of 100 dollars. :mad:

I do think the (poor choice of words removed) "relative" silence from all the testers(sorry Tim, I forgot about your post. :D) and there was the other tester Bob Romano who admits to never having heard the original mix... What I mean to say is that we get a heck of a lot more "input" from the testers when a 5.1 release is issued....Can we agree to call this "relative silence"? and ELP's claim of limited copies point to ELP pulling the 5.1 from the shelves or if we are very lucky, fixing the 5.1 and putting it in a cheaper edition like the 1st two ELP Steven Wilson mixes.

Hmm, why haven't we been talking bout the BSS SACD 5.1? It has the same mix as the 2000 DVD-A. The SACD is a nice option for those who haven't heard BSS in 5.1.
:phones

P.S. Looks like we have some cranky people today. :yikes Perhaps we all need to order Quadrophenia in 5.1 and we will feel a little bit better, yes?

Last edited:
Putting aside the fact that KE9 3rd impression was ruined, the rest of the mix has the vocals too centered so they have lost their depth & warmth. Big problem as well.

THIS is a great point you bring up as most mixing engineers do not keep the lead vocal strictly in the center channel. I'm researching this quite extensively right now for my Master's Final Project. More on that later…

I do think the absolute silence from all the testers and ELP's claim of limited copies point to ELP pulling the 5.1 from the shelves or if we are very lucky, fixing the 5.1 and putting it in a cheaper edition like the 1st two ELP Steven Wilson mixes.

Please leave the testers out of this, OK? They do us a great service by making sure these discs are ready for all of us to enjoy. It is not their primary responsibility to comment on the mixes or disc content but simply to make sure that the discs work fine in their respective players and that there aren't any major glitches that need to be fixed concerning navigation and item selection.

And as Tim has just pointed out, they have not been silent on this disc. Bob Romano has also offered some comments on the disc a few weeks back when it was first released…

It is true that Jakko emphasizes certain elements and unmutes things previously buried that we'd never heard in the original mix and I really like that aspect.

I still haven't had a chance to listen to the 5.1 mix since I've been away from home on business travel, but I've been listening a lot to Jakko's new stereo remix and I like it a lot. As noted above, Jakko is somewhat adventurous in emphasizing bits that are unexpected. I've noticed this most pronounced with the keyboard parts in the middle and late part of KE9 3rd impression. But, there are also bits in Toccata and Jerusalem (e.g., some missing gongs) that are unexpected. Overall, I'm very impressed with the new stereo mix; there's a real "depth" that (to me) is missing from most of the other CD versions that I own.

THIS is a great point you bring up as most mixing engineers do not keep the lead vocal strictly in the center channel. I'm researching this quite extensively right now for my Master's Final Project. More on that later

I believe it is a market necessity. Many purchasers want to feel that they have a special product that fully uses the resources of their 5.1 systems. I don't think anyone considers 5.1 mixes audiophile products. They could be, of course.

I wonder if the bass issue in the KE9 III is bad programming of the LFE channel, the 10 dB issue.

Back