ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just listened to the stereo remix on CD over lunch. First impression is positive.
The mix is not overly different, the dynamics are respected, the sound is clearer, cleaner, possibly a tad colder. Sometimes the balance of certain instruments seems slightly changed, notably The Sheriff sounds less out of place than before.
Mind you, I am not the biggest ELP fan, and do not know the original mix inside out, so take this early review with a grain of salt.

image-1773430576.jpg

A packshot from Sony UK.
Personally I prefer the disc designs from the first two ELP deluxe editions, but it is a minor thing, so ymmv. :)

To me , the mix is SUPERB!!!
Another dream come true!!!

Now I just need Kate's "The Dreaming" and some Cocteau Twins done by Neil W and I'm the HAPPIEST PERSON on Earth (which is STILL obstructing my view of Mars!!!)

My copy arrived this morning. Listening to the 96k 24bit MLP 5.1 now for the first time and it sounds absolutely superb, at least so far! Will report back after a full listen.

Well, after one full listen I would say that this is every bit as good as I would have wished it to be. :banana: It's crystal clear, discrete, dynamic, very well mixed, mastered and authored. Well done Jakko, Neil W and everyone else involved. :)

Thanks guys for the early reviews and my copy is on the way from AmazonUK to the U.S. I pre-ordered early however for some reason the copy shipped later than other buyers who pre-ordered early from U.S. Not a big deal and just glad it's finally on the way.

Well, after one full listen I would say that this is every bit as good as I would have wished it to be. :banana: It's crystal clear, discrete, dynamic, very well mixed, mastered and authored. Well done Jakko, Neil W and everyone else involved. :)

I agree but with one major reservation - I hate how Jakko treats some of Greg's vocals! I enjoyed every note of the 5.1 mix until I got to From The Beginning. I need to double check my system setup but Greg's vocal is so diffused it is almost drowned out by his acoustic guitar! Same problem with The Sheriff with the additional distraction of an annoying amateurish digital delay. Does anyone else hear this? Hope it's just me because vocals aside the mix sounds great to me!

I agree but with one major reservation - I hate how Jakko treats some of Greg's vocals! I enjoyed every note of the 5.1 mix until I got to From The Beginning. I need to double check my system setup but Greg's vocal is so diffused it is almost drowned out by his acoustic guitar! Same problem with The Sheriff with the additional distraction of an annoying amateurish digital delay. Does anyone else hear this? Hope it's just me because vocals aside the mix sounds great to me!

Agree with you on the vocals. I'm comparing right now the original and new stereo mixes. The new mix sounds clean, new and... weak! I first noticed the difference between the bass, as it sounds fuller on the original mix. But then, as soon as Lake starts singing, ouch, on the new mix it's like he's singing inside a phone booth. Compare the first crescendo on The Endless Enigma part 1 when he sings "I'm tired...". It's powerful and full of emotion on the older mix while on the new one it's just meh. Pity that old mix has plenty of background noise.

I can't comment a lot yet on the 5.1. I only listened to it once and got the feeling that was pretty confusing until Hoedown, getting better towards the end of the record (liked Trilogy and Abbadon's bolero). Need to listen to it carefully but my impression on the instruments placing on Endless Enigma was strange, when you were used to have the keyboards on the rears then suddenly they appeared on the fronts and drums were on the back and changed again. Anyway, don't take me too seriously about the 5.1 because I need to give it a good listen.

Until now... disappointed with the stereo mix and worried about what might happen to Thrak :(

I agree with Neil and the Kap'n. On two listens, the mix is fantastic: discrecte, illuminating, clean, musical, and not at all gimicky. Two thumbs up! There's a fair amount of dynamic range, so you have to crank it a fair amount to really appreciate it.

P.S. Yes, I know I should actually review it on its poll thread, but I want to do that in the context of a methodical pass over the 150 or so surround titles I've collected.

I asked because I wasn't sure if he had a 5.1 system. But I may have been confusing him with another member.

Stereo mixes are always important. I'm sure everyone here plays stereo at times even if they won't admit it.

Stereo mixes are always important. I'm sure everyone here plays stereo at times even if they won't admit it.
Of course I listen to stereo mixes - as long as there's no decent surround mix available...

Back