ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further evidence in point of Mr. Wilson's further involvement in ELP's reissue program:
http://www.musictap.net/

Good to know that they will give the SW treatment to "Welcome back my friend..." too. Since all digital releases of this live had been plagued by one issue or another, to have SW massage it properly it can become the best-selling titles of all six releases.

PS "Trilogy" was released 40 years ago today! :)

Trilogy was always my favorite of them all...maybe it was because it was the 1st one I listened to and owned....

I got a really well preserved (bought used a few years ago for 99 pence!!) UK Island LP pressing, and I basically "gave away" my Atlantic pressing from the late 70's...I think the Island copy is the 1st pressing , it has really low matrix no. on the deadwax(-2U)...and it sounds INCREDIBLE!

Funny how the gatefold typeset on the USA and UK versions differ...

gonna listen to my 96/24 needledrop!!!

(40 years??? wow!!...this is when I start feeling a bit ..hmmm...well weathered!!!)

EDIT:
Listening to it right now...
WOW and foidoimoe...WOW!!
1st of all, it's an awesome pressing, extremely clear sound, and I remember not having to ClickRepair it too much...
Greg Lake's production really shines here...
What makes me a bit sad is that SW is gonna have to work with 40 year old multitracks that have definitely lost a lot of their sheen, ....well, not all of them, but on some of them you can hear the degradation of the tapes...let's hope these have held up well all this time!

Further evidence in point of Mr. Wilson's further involvement in ELP's reissue program:
http://www.musictap.net/

If they actually have located the original multitracks of WBMF, this is GREAT NEWS! Now just think....if the new releases contain outtakes and bonus material, maybe WBMF will contain the ENTIRE show? I believe all it was missing was PAAE and Rondo? Anyone think of anything else I missed there?

Trilogy was always my favorite of them all...maybe it was because it was the 1st one I listened to and owned....

I got a really well preserved (bought used a few years ago for 99 pence!!) UK Island LP pressing, and I basically "gave away" my Atlantic pressing from the late 70's...I think the Island copy is the 1st pressing , it has really low matrix no. on the deadwax(-2U)...and it sounds INCREDIBLE!
!

Still the best releases of Trilogy were the MFSL's, cd or LP...not even close.
The same goes for Tarkus.

Still the best releases of Trilogy were the MFSL's, cd or LP...not even close.
The same goes for Tarkus.

Never have heard the MFSL LP of it; but have you heard the Island UK LP pressing with my deadwax nos.? Please comment if you have had...then I will take for granted your post.
I'm sure that the MFSL LP is really good , but my copy is really awesome...and I have very good ears!

BTW, I highly doubt that a CD wouls even come close to the LP....but to each his own....

Never have heard the MFSL LP of it; but have you heard the Island UK LP pressing with my deadwax nos.? Please comment if you have had...then I will take for granted your post.
I'm sure that the MFSL LP is really good , but my copy is really awesome...and I have very good ears!

BTW, I highly doubt that a CD wouls even come close to the LP....but to each his own....

When I said the MFSL CD's and LP's were the best, I meant as far as any cd releases vs the MFSL cd releases and the MFSL LP releases vs the regular LP's.
As far as a "deadwax" I am not familiar with that. What is it? Explain please.

When I said the MFSL CD's and LP's were the best, I meant as far as any cd releases vs the MFSL cd releases and the MFSL LP releases vs the regular LP's.
As far as a "deadwax" I am not familiar with that. What is it? Explain please.

Hey, now I get it!
My Atlantic copy was a piece of crap.

(If I had enough bandwidth, I'd upload my Hi Res files as FLACS to share, you'll be floored!)

The Island pressing can rival ANY MFSL LP (and I LOOOOVE MFSL LPs)....except for the lovely JVC vinyl...

Deadwax is the space in the runout grooves where you find the catalog or serial number of the release, plus the numbers and /or generation from the original master, low numbers indicate that they are the first ones ever made.(You can also find where it was mastered and WHO mastered it!)
Mind you,it doesn't mean that ALWAYS the first one will be A1 (or 1A), since it counts the times that the mastering engineer has done it UNTIL he finds a satisfactory one...THEN he'll send that one to be pressed...
That is why most late Beatles LP deadwax nos. are ridiculously high!

I could direct you to the S(ound)H(omos).tv, but it's full of ass licking gorts and if you ever say anything that contradicts the "Mother" figure , you will be blackballed!!!..just lurk....

kap'n krunch;153441 BTW said:
Depends on the mastering done for the CD. In theory, a well made CD will smoke any vinyl ever pressed.
Why? much, much better S/N ratio - over double - but it has to be done properly.
The biggest problem with CD in the early days were the poor DAC, and in modern times they seem to suffer badly from digital remastering syndrome.
The very act of limiting up the volume should be anathema to all right-thinking ME's - their job is to prep the material as supplied (and presumably as approved) for the intended release media and under no circumstances should it be to make it painfully loud to the point where the transients have no headroom and there is distortion at the DAC.
Additionally, vinyl not only has the low S/N ratio (around 40dB these days) but it also degrades physically with every play.

On the plus side, it cannot be brickwalled. I am convinced it is this that people like - not the actual sound of vinyl (crackles, snaps - like a sunday morning fry-up really) but the headroom built into the format.

Depends on the mastering done for the CD. In theory, a well made CD will smoke any vinyl ever pressed.
Why? much, much better S/N ratio - over double - but it has to be done properly.
The biggest problem with CD in the early days were the poor DAC, and in modern times they seem to suffer badly from digital remastering syndrome.
The very act of limiting up the volume should be anathema to all right-thinking ME's - their job is to prep the material as supplied (and presumably as approved) for the intended release media and under no circumstances should it be to make it painfully loud to the point where the transients have no headroom and there is distortion at the DAC.
Additionally, vinyl not only has the low S/N ratio (around 40dB these days) but it also degrades physically with every play.

On the plus side, it cannot be brickwalled. I am convinced it is this that people like - not the actual sound of vinyl (crackles, snaps - like a sunday morning fry-up really) but the headroom built into the format.

Ahhhh!! S/N ratio!!!!
Now, of course that's another dimension!!

Concerning wear , the point is kind of moot with me since I like to needle drop, so my LPs are played once (twice if they don't behave!)...

Have always done that with my vinyl, even back then , with my cassette deck on nice Chrome Maxwell cassettes (no Dolby, please)...that's why LP collection sounds so good...LPs that I bought in 1979 sound as good as new...

I am guilty as charged of "more than normalizing" my LP , but I don't squash the signal...for example, I got Keane's "Perfect Symmetry" the other day and, since it's like 50 minutes of music on 2 sides (they should've had it on 2 LPs, like their previous one) , it was mastered at about at least -6dB from the normal LP , so that's 6dB cut off from S/N, ....we're left now with 34 dB...
the vinyl was not bad , but ,
as you point out, it's not "brickwalled" , which is the reason I prefer LPs over CDs whenever possible, even if it's a 44.1/16 recording...(or "CD quality sourced")..
Here is how I "trim it"....I cut off the really loud transients, but I leave it some "space"...(this is after boosting it 6dB)
Keane.jpg

Keane FS.jpg

This one has some stuff over 20 K, which leads me to believe they mastered it from a 96/24 file...but not necessarily, since my TT just LOOOOVES adding harmonics to (almost)anything it plays...

I say almost cause "old" material does not benefit from it...My Jan & Dean "Batman" LP from 1966 has absolutely NOTHING over 20K (or even 18K).....

Okay the release dates keep sliding back, but the main thing to keep in mind and be grateful that this is HAPPENING at all. I'd be rather sad and deflated if the KC reissues had all been issued by now. I want to revel in these first two albums into next year and be excited for the next whatever number of months it requires.

Ahhhh!! S/N ratio!!!!
Now, of course that's another dimension!!

Concerning wear , the point is kind of moot with me since I like to needle drop, so my LPs are played once (twice if they don't behave!)...

Have always done that with my vinyl, even back then , with my cassette deck on nice Chrome Maxwell cassettes (no Dolby, please)...that's why LP collection sounds so good...LPs that I bought in 1979 sound as good as new...

I am guilty as charged of "more than normalizing" my LP , but I don't squash the signal...for example, I got Keane's "Perfect Symmetry" the other day and, since it's like 50 minutes of music on 2 sides (they should've had it on 2 LPs, like their previous one) , it was mastered at about at least -6dB from the normal LP , so that's 6dB cut off from S/N, ....we're left now with 34 dB...
the vinyl was not bad , but ,
as you point out, it's not "brickwalled" , which is the reason I prefer LPs over CDs whenever possible, even if it's a 44.1/16 recording...(or "CD quality sourced")..

I am sure some of you create DVD-Audio discs from 96/24 files to MLP? My 6 channel files ripped from the BSS DVD-Audio disc downmixed to stereo BLOW AWAY any of the "remastered" releases in stereo.

Okay the release dates keep sliding back, but the main thing to keep in mind and be grateful that this is HAPPENING at all. I'd be rather sad and deflated if the KC reissues had all been issued by now. I want to revel in these first two albums into next year and be excited for the next whatever number of months it requires.

I am grateful that these releases are happening, however if we're not getting high-res after all these delays, then I will be PISSED!
There's no other reason that these discs should keep getting delayed except if they decided to add high-res surround to the DVD.

Keep voting! http://feedback.legacyrecordings.co...229-release-elp-5-1-mixes-in-high-resolution-

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but Razor & Tie, while distributed via Sony are independently owned and make their own decisions regarding format. While they may use Sony DADC as a replicator, it is also entirely possible (and likely) that they are using someone else (Cinram, Universal, Arvato etc). Even if they were using DADC exclusively, DADC is not compelled to follow any direction from Sony (the label) as to format or codec. While voting at the Legacy forum certainly can't hurt matters, it is highly unlikely it will affect any decision pertaining to Razor & Tie - they are completely separate and unrelated (with the exception that they are both distributed by Sony).

Hey, now I get it!
My Atlantic copy was a piece of crap.

(If I had enough bandwidth, I'd upload my Hi Res files as FLACS to share, you'll be floored!)

The Island pressing can rival ANY MFSL LP (and I LOOOOVE MFSL LPs)....except for the lovely JVC vinyl...

Deadwax is the space in the runout grooves where you find the catalog or serial number of the release, plus the numbers and /or generation from the original master, low numbers indicate that they are the first ones ever made.(You can also find where it was mastered and WHO mastered it!)
Mind you,it doesn't mean that ALWAYS the first one will be A1 (or 1A), since it counts the times that the mastering engineer has done it UNTIL he finds a satisfactory one...THEN he'll send that one to be pressed...

So if the term "deadwax" refers to the runout groove, I don't quite understand what a "deadwax album" is...sounds like an entire album with no grooves.

Back