ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops! While I was typing that, Steven Wilson made a possibly big announcement on Twitter/Facebook:
The ELP / Tarkus reissues will include full res DVDAs - I talked them into it, but it's just meant delaying the release a little longer.
It would be great, but some releases lately make me doubt they will get it right. Anyway, kudo's to Steven Wilson for actively promoting DVD-A.

Hallelujah!

Now that's a delay worth waiting for.

Kudus to Mr Wilson and all others for leaning hard for a proper DVD-Audio HiRes disc.

Which brings me to a serious question - wtf is "Lucky Man" doing on the Warner/Rhino BSS DVDA anyway?
It's from ELP, not BSS.....

Bitches Crystal in 5.1 is well cool, and Steven's mix of Lucky Man is, for me, the album stand-out track on ELP.

I guess this means that Neil is doing the authoring, based on this comment and SW's news. :)

WOW - Sony doing a DVD-A - I don't believe it..... WOW!!!!!

:51banana:

We'll now be able to compare the Kellogg vs. Wilson versions of lucky man at the same bitrate in hi-rez (hopefully!!!)...

I bet the SW version will smoke it....

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!
It is almost too hard to believe! THANK YOU STEVE WILSON!!!!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Sony doing dvd-a - well I'll be monkey's uncle! That is astounding news, I'm amazed they'd do that given their sacd history....but totally thrilled.

Actually, Neil and Steve Wilson did it...
Sorry to say the petition didn't matter to Sony.
All involved wanted an MLP track but Sony wasn't so sure.
The author of the discs (Neil) decided to add MLP for nothing and that is mainly the ONLY reason it's going to be DVD-A.
After it was explained to the Sony reps, they just said "what the hell" (kind of).
But Sony could still change it at last minute although it doesn't seem likely.

Actually, Neil and Steve Wilson did it...
Sorry to say the petition didn't matter to Sony.
All involved wanted an MLP track but Sony wasn't so sure.
The author of the discs (Neil) decided to add MLP for nothing and that is mainly the ONLY reason it's going to be DVD-A.
After it was explained to the Sony reps, they just said "what the hell" (kind of).
But Sony could still change it at last minute although it doesn't seem likely.

In this instance, I really don't give a crap that the petition didn't matter to Sony. Since when do the labels actually care about the consumers anyway?
The point is we're getting DVD-Audio and at least we stood up and voiced our opinion on the matter.

Just like with Aqualung, things worked out in our favor this time and neither label can turn back now. It would look really moronic if both EMI and Sony would go back to just DVD-Video after releasing Blu-Ray and DVD-Audio respectively for these artists.

I only wish Neil and Steven would have been in a position to do this with the Caravan release, although Neil didn't author that one unfortunately. It was done by a company called re:fine.

The main thing here is that Steven has done a bloody fantastic job with the mixes, and we now have them coming in lossless form, so the next task is perhaps the most important one:
We need to spread the word here and make absolutely certain these sell by the truckload.
Then - who knows - perhaps we can start to talk Sony into letting some of the enormous amount of unreleased material that has already been mixed into 5.1 (Kooper/Bloomfield/Stills "SuperSession" has certainly been done, as Al Kooper has mentioned this already, not to mention the rest of the stuff sitting in the archives and vaults) so we can perhaps - just maybe - get a 5.1 renaissance happening.
The important thing here is that the titles are being released at all and getting lossless surround is one hell of a bonus so it is now time to prove to Sony that this format is worth persuing. Get yer pre-orders in - NOW!!!
(please?)

The main thing here is that Steven has done a bloody fantastic job with the mixes, and we now have them coming in lossless form, so the next task is perhaps the most important one:
We need to spread the word here and make absolutely certain these sell by the truckload.

I already reserved a U-Haul - one truck for each release :cool:

The thing to remember is that 'SACD vs DVD-A Sony' really doesn't exist anymore. The format wars of 10 years ago are over. Right now, all the labels (those that are left) care about are sales. If Sony put out a DVD-A and it sold, that's all that counts. WB did SACDs in Japan because Japan is SACD-centric right now. The format should not matter, as long as we get the HiRez.

This is great news, and we owe a ton of gratitude to Neil for "adding" the DVD-A portion on his own, and to Steven for fighting the battle.

That's a Woo-Hoo! :)

Back