ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing here is that Steven has done a bloody fantastic job with the mixes, and we now have them coming in lossless form, so the next task is perhaps the most important one:
We need to spread the word here and make absolutely certain these sell by the truckload.
Then - who knows - perhaps we can start to talk Sony into letting some of the enormous amount of unreleased material that has already been mixed into 5.1 (Kooper/Bloomfield/Stills "SuperSession" has certainly been done, as Al Kooper has mentioned this already, not to mention the rest of the stuff sitting in the archives and vaults) so we can perhaps - just maybe - get a 5.1 renaissance happening.
The important thing here is that the titles are being released at all and getting lossless surround is one hell of a bonus so it is now time to prove to Sony that this format is worth persuing. Get yer pre-orders in - NOW!!!
(please?)

You dont have to beg my pre order is in and I am a happy bunny, I hope more follow that is for sure.

The thing to remember is that 'SACD vs DVD-A Sony' really doesn't exist anymore. The format wars of 10 years ago are over. Right now, all the labels (those that are left) care about are sales. If Sony put out a DVD-A and it sold, that's all that counts. WB did SACDs in Japan because Japan is SACD-centric right now. The format should not matter, as long as we get the HiRez.

Exactly.

After it was explained to the Sony reps, they just said "what the hell" (kind of).
Well, hell has now officially frozen over. :banana:

Fortunately enough I got both albums on pre-order from Amazon UK for some time and hopefully will be back for more!

So Neil, if you are doing the DVD-A authoring, is someone giving you any specific picture or menu guidelines? Who makes that decision on what to use? Just curious...

Neil,
congratulations. Best musical news of the week, and probably of the entire month.
Can't wait to blast Tarkus in 5.1 on the car....

This is such great news and definitely makes the wait worth while.(I was afraid we might be in for another "Running on Empty" fiasco..for those that remember that one....It was a 3 year delay I believe!)
Anyway, Many thanks to Neil....Perhaps we might eventually get a sneak peek at some screen shots of the menus like you did with the King Crimson's prior to the release???
These are 2 of my favorite ELP albums that I always figured would sound great in 5.1 ... and with Steven Wilson handling the mixes I know we're in for a couple of winners here and I look fwd to Trilogy etc.....

Tim

Wow... I can hardly believe it! I would've never guessed Sony would do a DVD-A, even though it is the obvious choice for a release like this. Amazing!

Thanks to SW for making the execs listen, and to Neil for the DVDA authoring. With SW doing the mixes, and Neil doing the authoring, how could these not be awesome!

My pre-order is in! I can hardly wait!

Actually, Neil and Steve Wilson did it...
Sorry to say the petition didn't matter to Sony.
All involved wanted an MLP track but Sony wasn't so sure.
The author of the discs (Neil) decided to add MLP for nothing and that is mainly the ONLY reason it's going to be DVD-A.
After it was explained to the Sony reps, they just said "what the hell" (kind of).
But Sony could still change it at last minute although it doesn't seem likely.

That may be. But ask yourself: why did Neil and Steven want it?

YYYYAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!
A big thanks to SW and NW. I can order them now. I wish you two guys would start your own company selling licensed surround releases.
Kind of like a K-Tel for surround, but without the cheesyness :)

Last edited:
We'll now be able to compare the Kellogg vs. Wilson versions of lucky man at the same bitrate in hi-rez (hopefully!!!)...

I bet the SW version will smoke it....

I seriously hope SW put back the note in the guitar solo that JK ducked out. I believe it's note #11, an A, at the beginning of the third phrase.
It's bad enough Lucky Man was dumped into BSS for whatever reason, but with the altered guitar solo I couldn't stand listening to it.

Thank You to all!!!!!

• Neil for Authoring this for free - wow...
  • SW for pushing this...
  • Rtbluray for putting up the poll.....
  • and everyone for voting....

Like someone said - SW mix with a Neil DVD-A - I'm in heaven...

This may be completely redundant...... but to an old ELP fan, and a quad/mch and especially hi-res nut this is indeed an early Christmas gift from Messrs. Wilson and Wilkes.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This may be completely redundant...... but to an old ELP fan, and a quad/mch and especially hi-res nut this is indeed an early Christmas gift from Messrs. Wilson and Wilkes.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Well, by the time we get it, it may not be an early Christmas present! (but I am ok with that).

Thanks to all who made these good news possible!

Wonder if anyone has news or some speculation on how the live album releases are going to be (after the first moment with ST and Tarkus). Will PAAE be released on multichannel as well, with extras? What about WBMF, any solid confirmation on the old quad masters, and on having the encore as an extra?

I know that's thinking too far (there's not even solid talk on further releases after the 6 earlier albums), but I suppose "In Concert" could not be released on 5.1. This comes from Ed Macan's "Endless Enigma" book (p.434), and it is from a 1980 Keith Emerson interview:

There were a lot of problems getting the live album [In Concert] done. The 24-track broke down, and a lot of those mixes were done from two-track masters combined with the soundtrack from the videotape. It was a complicated process, but I got the best sound from that I possibly could. It wasn't exactly state-of-the-art recording, but nevertheless I thought it was important and that people needed to hear it

Thanks to all who made these good news possible!

Wonder if anyone has news or some speculation on how the live album releases are going to be (after the first moment with ST and Tarkus). Will PAAE be released on multichannel as well, with extras? What about WBMF, any solid confirmation on the old quad masters, and on having the encore as an extra?

I know that's thinking too far (there's not even solid talk on further releases after the 6 earlier albums), but I suppose "In Concert" could not be released on 5.1. This comes from Ed Macan's "Endless Enigma" book (p.434), and it is from a 1980 Keith Emerson interview:

There were a lot of problems getting the live album [In Concert] done. The 24-track broke down, and a lot of those mixes were done from two-track masters combined with the soundtrack from the videotape. It was a complicated process, but I got the best sound from that I possibly could. It wasn't exactly state-of-the-art recording, but nevertheless I thought it was important and that people needed to hear it

I was wondering about WBMF also. I thought the tapes were lost. But if they DO release it, would it contain the ENTIRE show? I believe all that was missing was PAAE and Rondo?
And the original PAAE would sound FANTASTIC if it were mixed in surround for sure! That recording, at least to my ears, sounded better than WBMF and they must have recorded more of the show. Extras from THAT show would be VERY cool!

Back