ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm curious about two versions, Sony vs. T&R. are both used same master for DVDA from Opus Production
or there are different? quite strange to see 2 competing version of the same release at the same time and
for sale through same merchants.
hey Neil, do you have any clarification about this confusing situation?

i'm curious about two versions, Sony vs. T&R. are both used same master for DVDA from Opus Production
or there are different? quite strange to see 2 competing version of the same release at the same time and

Regardless of the similarities or differences, I have now cancelled my preorder on amazon.com for the Sony imports, and have now gone with Burning Shed.
It's more expensive (mostly cause of shipping), but I'm convinced I'll get my discs closer to the release date with BS than with amazon.com imports. Plus, I always love to support the best independent music store out there! :)

All I know is that I supplied 2 sets of identical masters.
Most likely scenario here - and this is a guess - is that there are 2 different imprints depending on territory. One for US, another for EU.
Normally, in the old days, this would be separate PAL and NTSC versions and there will always be the collectors who want both editions, even though content is identical.

OK, now I'm a little confused. Assuming Neil's intuition is correct, will the SONY release be PAL and the R&T release be NTSC or the other way around?

All I know is that I supplied 2 sets of identical masters.
Most likely scenario here - and this is a guess - is that there are 2 different imprints depending on territory. One for US, another for EU.
Normally, in the old days, this would be separate PAL and NTSC versions and there will always be the collectors who want both editions, even though content is identical.

There are 2 different imprints, one for Sony and one for R&T, but amazon.co.uk is listing the Sony version as NTSC too.
So these releases are basically like the KC ones, in the sense that for both Panegyric (EU) and Inner Knot (US), the DVDs have the exact same content as well as video encoding (NTSC).

I certainly hope the Sony DVD-As are NTSC, cause I've now preordered them from Burning Shed, and I'm stuck with this order no matter what!

There are 2 different imprints, one for Sony and one for R&T, but amazon.co.uk is listing the Sony version as NTSC too.
So these releases are basically like the KC ones, in the sense that for both Panegyric (EU) and Inner Knot (US), the DVDs have the exact same content as well as video encoding (NTSC).

I certainly hope the Sony DVD-As are NTSC, cause I've now preordered them from Burning Shed, and I'm stuck with this order no matter what!

I see, they should both be NTSC.

BTW, you can cancel an order through Burning Shed, as I have done it in the past. They were very prompt and good about it. You just send an email with the order # and your wish to cancel, they take care of the rest. Great music store!

I pre-ordered through Amazon UK, quite a while back and since the release date is still posted as Aug 27th, I'm just going to let it ride.

Now I am confused. Is there such a thing as PAL or NTSC DVD-Audio? Never heard of it.

Now I am confused. Is there such a thing as PAL or NTSC DVD-Audio? Never heard of it.

Sorry for the confusion. I have been told in the past that generally, all DVD-A are region 0, and NTSC video standard. After reading the above posts I thought that perhaps this could be an exception. However, Neil states in post #563 that the DVD-A/V disc is NTSC, all regions. So this should not be an issue.

The Genesis box sets had PAL and NTSC releases, but those were DVD-V sets.

There is due to the video content and menus on a DVD-A that have to be displayed on ones TV.

NTSC is: NTSC, named for the National Television System Committee,[1] is the analog television system that is used in most of North America, parts of South America (except Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and French Guiana), Myanmar, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, and some Pacific island nations and territories.
Pal is:For other uses, Television encoding systems by nation; countries using the PAL system are shown in blue.
PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is an analogue television colour encoding system used in broadcast television systems in many countries. Other common analogue television systems are NTSC and SECAM. This page primarily discusses the PAL colour encoding system. The articles on broadcast television systems and analogue television further describe frame rates, image resolution and audio modulation.

There are (some) PAL DVD-As(e.g. Lilium & Bartman3 are PAL). Most are NTSC - as most people in PAL countries can handle NTSC. But not the other way around...

Hey - I thought NTSC stood for Not The Same Color Twice? ;)

Muse - The Resistance is in PAL too... at least the copy I got, and my freaking BluRay player does not support it...darn luck! no I HAVE TO buy an OPPO... sorry wife... I have to...

Muse - The Resistance is in PAL too... at least the copy I got, and my freaking BluRay player does not support it...darn luck! no I HAVE TO buy an OPPO... sorry wife... I have to...

There is no menu item in the Oppo that makes the Oppo Blu-Rays region free as it was with the older Oppo's. It is now a small circuit board that has to be plugged into the Oppo that makes the Blu-Ray region free. I don't believe DVD-A has any region restrictions, only the DVD-V or Dolby Digital.

NTSC = Never The Same Colours
SECAM - Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method.
PAL = Phase Alternate Line and it is far stabler than NTSC

Growing up in the US, I was FLABBERGASTED when I came to Spain and saw how BEAUTIFUL and REALISTIC (plus an extra 100 horizontal lines of definition) PAL was...now I CRINGE whenever I see NTSC stuff....

granted, PAL still has the "flickering" from being powered by a 50 Hz/220v electricity source (as opposed to NTSC's 60/110), but most new TVs multiply the 50 by 2 , so it doesn't flicker...

I especially loved it when I use to work on TV (onscreen) and looked at the monitors and IT REALLY WAS THE SAME COLOR!!!!!!!

(end of my contribution to the derail)

So getting slightly back on the subject of ELP itself,

amazon.co.uk is now listing the mp3 versions of the expanded ELP and Tarkus reissues, so you can check out samples of what the new mixes and bonus tracks sound like. Mind you, the sound quality for these samples is TERRIBLE, so the quality is not an indication of how the final CD (and DVD) will sound, but a few notes:

1) The new stereo mix of "Knife-Edge" is about 30 sec longer than the original, so it will be cool to hear what that "extended outro" sounds like and if it will also be longer on the 5.1 mix.
2) "Promenade" is straight from ELP's Pictures set, but it's probably a studio outtake from the first album sessions.
3) "Rave-Up" sounds like a working version of what was to come on Tarkus tracks like "Mass" and "A Time and a Place". Sounds cool!
4) The Alternate versions of "Take a Pebble" and "Knife-Edge" sound like instrumental "live" tracks, while the Alternate version of "Lucky Man" does contain vocals. The "First Greg Lake Solo Version" of Lucky Man is just acoustic guitar and vocals (including harmony overdubs).

As for Tarkus:
1) The 2nd disc now contains the entire original album remixed by SW and the bonus tracks are at the end (as he himself confirmed).
2) "Oh, My Father" is a new mix. The original mix can be found on the "From the Beginning" box set.
3) "Unknown Ballad" sounds like it may be just Keith on piano AND vocals (including harmony overdubs!)
4) The Alternate Version of "Mass" sounds like an instrumental "live" track like, Pebble and Knife-Edge above.

No doubt these sound like AMAZING (and affordable) sets! :)

So getting slightly back on the subject of ELP itself,

amazon.co.uk is now listing the mp3 versions of the expanded ELP and Tarkus reissues, so you can check out samples of what the new mixes and bonus tracks sound like. Mind you, the sound quality for these samples is TERRIBLE, so the quality is not an indication of how the final CD (and DVD) will sound, but a few notes:

1) The new stereo mix of "Knife-Edge" is about 30 sec longer than the original, so it will be cool to hear what that "extended outro" sounds like and if it will also be longer on the 5.1 mix.
2) "Promenade" is straight from ELP's Pictures set, but it's probably a studio outtake from the first album sessions.
3) "Rave-Up" sounds like a working version of what was to come on Tarkus tracks like "Mass" and "A Time and a Place". Sounds cool!
4) The Alternate versions of "Take a Pebble" and "Knife-Edge" sound like instrumental "live" tracks, while the Alternate version of "Lucky Man" does contain vocals. The "First Greg Lake Solo Version" of Lucky Man is just acoustic guitar and vocals (including harmony overdubs).

As for Tarkus:
1) The 2nd disc now contains the entire original album remixed by SW and the bonus tracks are at the end (as he himself confirmed).
2) "Oh, My Father" is a new mix. The original mix can be found on the "From the Beginning" box set.
3) "Unknown Ballad" sounds like it may be just Keith on piano AND vocals (including harmony overdubs!)
4) The Alternate Version of "Mass" sounds like an instrumental "live" track like, Pebble and Knife-Edge above.

No doubt these sound like AMAZING (and affordable) sets! :)

can you send a link?

Back