ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW: Sony was listed as a member of the DVD-A committee, but it was undoubtedly a fishing expedition. DTS DVD-V is likely the best we can hope for.

Also, as mentioned much earlier in this thread, the new recording of PAAE, as included in the Return of the Manticore IS listed in the box set's booklet as Dolby Surround. The mix is far from active. As usual, I bought the box the first week it was released. If I had read the book, I had missed the DS verbiage. No great shakes either way. Whether intentional or serendipitous, Father Christmas opens up rather nicely in PLII. None of the other new recordings on disc 1 tracks do.

Now's the time, clear your mind, you've fallen far, too far behind.

hasn't the catalog moved to yet another lable for these releases to Razor and Tie who are they related to ? Thought the amazon preorders do show Sony

Perhaps unrelated, the 2011 complete ELP Mar y Sol '72 Puerto Rico concert is on Shout Factory, under license from Leadclass. Some of those tracks originally appeared on the Mar y Sol Atlantic Records 2 LP set. Razor & Tie, Shout Factory, and ELP themselves are all licensed to Sony. So, it all adds up to the same formats: CD & DVD-V. Only the logos and accounting may be different.

hasn't the catalog moved to yet another lable for these releases to Razor and Tie who are they related to ? Thought the amazon preorders do show Sony

Check out Steven's Q&A concerning ELP:
12) Since Fripp seems to have let the proverbial cat out of the bag, I wonder if Steven can comment on the ELP stuff? Can you tell us which albums you have done, or will be doing? In the past you've said that ELP were not one of your favorites (or words to that effect) - does that change how you approach doing the mixes, and did working on them change your opinion at all? Any other general comments about this project would be welcome too.

SW: While I don't think ELP have stood the test of time in the way that some other bands of that era have, I really enjoyed doing the albums - I find that there are astounding moments in their music, but in my opinion (and no doubt many will disagree!) some tracks on each album are what you might call "filler". One of the interesting things we've been able to do with the reissues it to make CD1 the original album, and CD2 an alternate version of the album using new mixes. For example on Tarkus this enabled me to replace what I saw as "novelty" tracks like Are You Ready Eddy and Jeremy Bender and replace them with what I felt were better songs. On the first album this was done by necessity since the multi-tracks of Tank and 2 parts of the Three Fates were missing - luckily there were interesting out-takes that could take their place in the album sequence. There is an element of trying to re-write history in this of course, which some may consider sacrilegious, but the original mix is also part of the package, so it's simply an alternate perspective.

So, he's found stuff on the tapes that he thinks is better than what was originally released....wow, this is getting very interesting!

Selecting out-takes for the alternate version seems bizarre.
SW said:
this was done by necessity since the multi-tracks of Tank and 2 parts of the Three Fates were missing
So there is a good reason they used alternative tracks (for the new mixes only).
From Steven Wilson's honest answers it appears he does hardly listen to other, let alone old quad, surround mixes. The upside is that he has developed an unique approach to 5.1 mixing, in the case of ELP however it would have been great to have some of their legacy, like they did at their live shows and in their quad mixes. But of course, let's first wait and listen.

Hope you guys already have these pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk because the price jumped to £13.78. (A more reasonable price)

I presume these are the links?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334709608&sr=8-1-fkmr0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lake-Palmer/dp/B007Q4Y9I2/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

Does anyone know what the three discs are? I presume 2 CDs & DVD (or Blu-ray - please please please)?

Interesting that its listed as "Lake & Palmer Emerson" ....

2CDs & DVD. SW confirmed it himself. Now HOPEFULLY It's DVD-Audio or at least DVD-V with DTS 96/24, unlike that Caravan reissue...

So nobody knows for sure whether or not we'll get lossless multichannel audio for these?

Was hoping for something ala the upcoming Crimson release

So nobody knows for sure whether or not we'll get lossless multichannel audio for these?

so far from Sony lossless audio on DVD was 48KHz/16 bit stereo.
why such ignorant company should change their approach?

I fear it will be a DVD-V with Dolby Digital for the 5.1 ..and maybe, just maybe basic DTS!

Maybe we should be thankful for tender mercies, given that these new mixes are not stuck in big, expensive boxes (full of extraneous stuff most of us "Quadraphiliacs" don't need or want!) but standalone releases, like the recent ELO, Gentle Giant & Ian Anderson sets...??

Wouldn't it be hilarious though (and deliciously ironic!) if Sony were now to release a DVD-A rather than an SACD..?!?

Sony, after all, were involved with the DVD Audio steering team (or whatever they were called) that sat by committee and decided what the DVD-A format would be all about in the first place, or at least I was led to believe that was the case back in the day.

Well, I have them locked in for 8.52 each and 21 total delivered so I am committed!

(This is British Pounds by the way, shipping from the UK)

they're so cheap!

alarmingly so.. they've got to be plain old lossy DVDs like the other cd/dvd twofers we've had from EMI recently..!

I hope and pray these sell well and Sony not only go on to complete the proposed program of 6 ELP Legacy 5.1 reissues but that it encourages them to raid their vaults and get some more quad stuff out, albeit on DVD!

can't find any artwork or details yet online for these two, bit concerning as 16th of July is only weeks away! these things must be in production now or maybe even ready and circulating as promos??

Well, I have them locked in for 8.52 each and 21 total delivered so I am committed!

(This is British Pounds by the way, shipping from the UK)

Where (and when) did you get them for that price?

Back