Elvis 2nd to None

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, its a followup or companion piece to last years' Elv1s disc with tracks that didn't make it on that one. A rumored dvd-a was in the works pretty early for last year, but this years' 2nd To None, not a peep.

I think this disc has a "lost" track on it, that allegedly has never been released..........

The Elvis DVD-A did not get much press or fanfare. I wonder how many folks (other than us and the SH group) even know it exists?

JonUrban said:
I think this disc has a "lost" track on it, that allegedly has never been released..........
Pretty much every posthumous Elvis release has at least one "lost" track on it, in order to reel in the completists into buying it. (I'll admit I'm sort of in those ranks myself.) This time around, they're scraping the bottom of the barrel and putting on some "lost" soundtrack song from the Sixties. Plus, as with the last collection, there's a new (irritating) remix of an old chestnut ("Rubberneckin'" this time around).

JonUrban said:
The Elvis DVD-A did not get much press or fanfare. I wonder how many folks (other than us and the SH group) even know it exists?
Just as well. I was pretty disappointed with it myself. Probably didn't help that half the songs were recorded in mono (everything from the Fifties), and half the rest of them were recorded direct to twin-track stereo (most of the Sixties tracks). The only true "surround" tracks were the late-Sixties-onward ones. Some of these were interesting enough, I suppose, but it's not a disc I find myself listening to very often. It doesn't help that they inexplicably included alternate takes of many songs - odd, since it's supposed to be a "hits" collection, and you'd presumably want to hear the takes you're most familiar with. Plus, the disc has absolutely no bonus material, and doesn't even have a menu or anything - pop the disc in, and it launches straight into the music.

The Elv1s disc wasn't awesome, but I did enjoy the newer mixes. I also liked getting all the tracks in high res stereo or mono. Too bad they didn't use the 3 track for Love Me Tender. :(

Back